The Atheist Lounge

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by RippedMonk, Jan 18, 2014.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3_gst-Ryh3g

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

2. Hey Guys.. Seeing as this is the new "productive" lounge I'll share something on topic that's been on my mind for a while.Last month my little sister was asking me questions about the origins of life. She started off just musing out loud about how god created the first man and woman, but how could all the families and people in the world come from two people. I didn't object, but I did prod with a "how do you know? And "What do you think about that?" Just to see where she was. She's only 10 btw..Anyway my mom walked into the room and told her not to ask me those questions or talk to me about that "stuff."Later that night I confronted my mother and told her that although I would not tell my sister I doubt the existence of god, I find it incredibly unfair and irresponsible of her to shelter her from the scientific explanations of how things came to be on this planet. She pretty much refused to discuss it with me, and all I could get out in the brief confrontation was that science has come a long way and if she would look at the evidence that she would agree that life evolved slowly over a long period of time. Unfortunately I came off sounding more harshly than that, but I was just so frustrated that she would try to censor me when my sister was the one coming to me with questions.Lol on a funnier note when my mom told her not to ask me questions my sister replied "why not, he's really smart"Anyway, now that the dust has settled, I'd like to bring the issue up again, but not in a confrontational way. I was thinking to try and bring it up in a way that my mother can relate to. She doesn't take everything in the bible to heart, stoning homosexuals for example, and I think I could help her see that the Genesis story isn't the best explanation anymore. I'm not interested in changing her faith, but I don't want her beliefs putting my siblings at odds with science.Evolution is a much longer and more in depth story that takes effort to understand how it came about. I'm not a scholar by any means and admittedly my own understanding of the subject is very basic. (Although I do dig deeper for my own growth and pleasure as time permits..) Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any experience with similar situations? If I can convince her to hear me out, and I think I can, what resources would you recommend I use? How do you get the big picture into a nutshell that can be digested by someone who hasn't been educated on any of the subject matter? I doubt she would do any searching on her own, so I'll need an argument just strong enough to allow her to take a step back and let there be a possibility that she doesn't have all the answers. The end goal would be for my sisters to step into a science class and be able to take home valid information and be able to ask questions uninhibited.Thanks guys

3.  e

To begin with, very good, "productive" post.  I appreciate it.  I don't see how mods or theists could hate on such a post.

I actually had a very similar situation yesterday.  My mother is elderly but still going strong and very critical of my absence of faith.  She also hates that I have never raised my kids with any faith/religion.  Somehow the other day we got onto some scientific discussions that she didn't understand.  Quite quickly she turned the discussion to how she could never see how people could reject God when there seems to be so much complexity in the universe.  She started to bash the Big Bang theory and evolution, and even mentioned that many decades ago when she was a teacher she would tell her students that she didn't see how there couldn't be a god.  I wanted to scold her for pushing religious shit in a public school but I didn't.  What I did do was educate her on evolution and the Big Bang.  Told her about the overwhelming evidence for those theories, and that neither actually completely contradicts the Bible or belief in God.  I reminded her that the Bible was old and vague and doesn't describe in scientific detail how God created the universe and life and that many Christians believed in God, were religious, and yet accepted the overwhelming evidence for both theories.  I said that the only people that should have problems with either are people who take the Bible completely literally and that all of them are actually hypocritical because they don't live by it literally.  Once she realized that scientific theories such as those didn't negate her god it changed her opinion about them greatly.  You can't change your mother's faith, that is up to her, but you can educate her and remove the lies and propaganda that is preached from pulpits and media about sound scientific theories.  Just educate her man.  Good luck

4. #24 Jack Klompus, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Is it not ironic this is in the religion, beliefs and spirituality forum? I guess I went off a bit but really? It just seems so childish. And would you really not expect believers (of all god-damn people) to come into this? When it is (again) in the religion, beliefs and spirituality forum? These are places for atheists to say "Look at me Im an atheist" and nothing more, and that is one and only because it is in this forum. Want real discussion? Go somewhere else... or talk about the actual beliefs. But no its much more fun to start an atheist "lounge". Holy fuck I feel like Im 12 years old playing mmorpgs again. Haha have fun guys no need to bombard with responses cause that will only bring me back to this sacred place.

Last thought to rippedmonk, what is it that you are discussing here pertaining to the fourms topic? Nah, dont bother:)

5. #25 AugustWest, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014

read all of the posts in this thread and point out who is being childish..

6. #26 ItsReneeYo_, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Same thing with me , my whole family is religious. I'm the only one who strayed away and asks questions about everything. I have a younger sister that already questions the things that religion is built on. I would say just tell your sibling to question everything. Don't blatantly believe in everything people tell you. Tell your sibling to find their own truth and ultimately they will. That's what I did since she was younger , and it has proven to work. That way you don't step on anyone's toes

Honestly, we probably expect them to come in here and take verbal dumps all over everything because that's what they do everywhere else, but does that mean we shouldn't ask them nicely not to?

The idea of a lounge is bullshit.  Er, I mean the purpose is bullshit.  To bullshit.  We might have some deep discussions, too, but basically the idea is to BS with each other.  So if you go off to whatever corner you inhabit and don your monacle with your classy-as-fuck friends and start discussing classical music and fancy cigars or whatever it is that awesome people like you discuss amongst your awesome selves, it'd be kind of annoying to have some twit rampage through going WOOO FUCK CLASSICAL YEAAAAAAAAH PUT OUT THE SMOKE RETARDS I FOUND A AWESOME TURD *IN YOUR PANTS*.

This ain't rocket science, right?  We just want to chat and minimize the obnoxious disruptions.

8. Lol i think they're upset that we're walking on eggshells and their tactics wont work this time. :laughing:

9. There seems to be a lot of 'us and them' mentality going on in here. Not sure how productive that is.

10. Kind of hard to avoid all things considered.

I kind of think this is the root of most problems here, and just about any other place.

12. Im trying to figure out how this doesn't prove my point. No real discussion. Nothing pertaining to religion, beliefs or spirituality. My time here is done. 

god be with you.

14. Come on now little Jack why don't you go and wreck another cadillac!

15. #35 Accident Hero, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014

prove it

That wouldn't exist if the "them" crowd didn't come in to flame this thread.  You've been around awhile esseff and you know the lounges were just casual places to discuss without being flamed.  They were never intended to separate people, which are already going to be separated in any forums based on religion, beliefs, and politics.  What the lounges gave was sanctuaries for those that wanted to discuss these topics without being flamed or trolled by those with opposing views.  This new lounge, just like the old would be fine if those with opposing views stayed out.  Their presence is only to incite drama.  So, the unproductive side of this thread isn't coming from atheists.

17. That Jack Klompus person's not even a member of GC, apparently. Shows how much lack some people have, that they'll troll a thread in a subforum of a community they haven't even joined. And it's hilarious to see how PP's lurking around liking his posts :D

He's kind of right about some stuff. I'm just lurking so as not to make any ripples in this puddle ;)

19. Maybe pond is a more pleasing word in this case. Don't want you guys to feel like there's some sort of inequality here. :smoke:

20. Oh but there is. ;)