The Army...

Discussion in 'General' started by KeepSmokinReefa, Mar 29, 2007.

1. If you have some non-sense to speak get out of here.

Aight, Im trying to figure out my life, And what ima do. Im stuck in a pit, Cant get a regular job, I do contract work but my contractors addicted to crack and we get jobs like 2 weeks outta month and it aient enough to support a family.

So one of the suggestions my girl brought of is joining the army.

Now ive never wanted to ever since i was before 10 years old i was against the idea, And im big time against the war and i belive bush/government was behind 9/11 and all that shit.

But my girls keeps pushing it to look into it, And some of the info is like saying you can make up to a 100 G's a year n shit which would be fucking fantastic.

But i also know how alot of soldiers dont get what they should and how fucked up conditions are.

She said if i do we'll get married before hand so she can live on the base.

Well my question to you GC is have any of you been in the army/know anybody who has?

What do you think about this, I wanna hear both for and against things. And id love to have links to good evidence about why the war is wrong and mistreated soldiers and this and that.

(I dont know anybody whos been in the war, My generation of family is all thugs and before that we were outlaws so we've always been anti-government ect.)

So GC, Give it to me. Thanks.

2. My uncle's in the Army. I've wanted to join but I don't know if I will or not, because I want to start my own business so it would be hard to commit to two things. Anyways, you should probably join, but join a non-combat unit.

3. Semper Fi is the Marines, not the Army.

4. dont sign anything until your sure cuz like you said they lie and dont come through with alot of shit that they promise

5. if you need the cash im pretty sure you can earn it through the army..

my roomates joining the marines,

im not really pro war but you could learn a trade through the armed forces.

6. I know its marines, I was hinting to join the Corps instead of the army

7. I was in the ROTC, and all the information about anything you could possibly want to learn is in the ARMY without a doubt. Paid R&R, free housing, clothes, any accessory you need. Personally, I think the ARMY is a smart way to go if you're stuck in a ditch. But be sure about it because once you sign those recruitment papers your in for life (basically).

There is an ARMY forum I used to be a part of, it's really interesting a lot of stuff that you dont know about. IMHO, your girl and your children (if you have any) would live better on an army base than in the streets of detroit (which im not saying is a bad thing ;))

8. I dunno how valid my opinion is on this.

First off, my vicarious experience is only through the Canadian Forces, which is quite different. My friends who has served, now swear by the CF

There are more than a few former marines and soldiers post around here, they will give you the most valuable advice.

Military service is something to be proud of -- but from my perspective, the American military is horribly mismanaged. I wouldn't put my well-being and my trust into an organization which has recently had a very bad record of taking care of their own.

You'd be better off slanging, you'll live longer and get paid more, KSR.

P.S. -- I have no clue who is getting 100 grand.

[[ keep in mind, most of this opinion is based on American media ]]

9. R_M, Honestly you were the first person who came to mind when i made this thread and was hoping you'd respond. Your very intelligent and your opinion means alot to me.

Exactly how i pretty much feel, I do not really want to do this, And its not something id be very proud of because of how my beliefs are more against it.

I dont want to fight a war to make bushs pockets fatter.

If i knew id be safe and my family would be safe and id make fat cash doing it i would. But ive looked into some of it and alot of soldiers make minimum wage to put their lifes on the line, Fuck that.

On the slanging, I know, But i want to get far away from it. I dont want my daughter knowing that shit ya know.

I want to get into college and do something good and make fat cash to have my kids grow up a million times better then me, And i hear that doing the army thing will pay for college but man...

Anyways, Let the discussion continue, I want to know as much as i can.

10. One of my very close friends who was always a bit conflicted in life joined the army just looking for direction. Turns out he's doing really well there, getting paid well, advancing fast. But the last time I talked to him, the one thing he said that stuck out in my mind was "I know they're turning me into something I don't want to be here, but I can't do anything but let it happen".
    Just make sure, if you're going to do it, that you're doing it for you.

11. Its tempting and people do do well in the army yet it has ALOT of risk. The infantry are in danger all the time and they get shot at everyday. Also alot of the kids now are planting IED's (bombs) that blow up humvees and trucks and such. Put it this way 24/7 you got a 50/50 of having your life injured or worse killed. Even when your at the bases they still have mortars fired at them which can fire 5 miles away. This is just what my bro's friend told me last week when he got back from Iraq. Really though join the navy if you do join the army. You'll be very safe and get some good cash as any other soldier does and guess to get your hopes up my cousin's husband is in the navy and because he re-enlisted he got a $60,000-$90,000 raise which is badass. If you want to know some reasons not to enlist in the infantry heres a good site http://www.mindprod.com/politics/iraqdontenlist.html#DONTENLIST. Also a lot of people have died their. More than 3,164 or whatever our mass media is telling us. Just remember man when you hear shit of soldiers playing sports like shooting dogs and soldiers killing civilians and raping them its going on. War is hell.

12. I wouldn't do it. The fact that your heart's not in it should be reason enough. We're talking about you dying for something you don't even believe in. Fuck that. I wish I could offer an alternative, but I'm pretty sure there are better options.

13. Talk to iPack, He is an ex Marine he would know about pay and conditions and such.

I haven't seen him around in a while, but drop him a PM.

14. Join the Navy...Iraq's mostly landlocked

15. Joining the army is something I think you have to be 100% commited to before doing, like skydiving. You cant be out there half assing it with your life on the line, not saying you would, just that I think youve gotta be fully into it. Also, from what Ive learned of you from our joint time on this board, I couldnt see you fitting in with army life. Theyd try to turn you into something youre not, force you into their mold of a good citizen and person and you wouldnt want that.

And I dont think any one is making 100 grand that is a basic level soldier, no way. I thought about joining for a bit, but apparently im ineligable due to metal plates and screws that I have. But looking back, Im happy I didnt go through with it. I think youre looking to join the army for money, which is a valid reason, but not worth signing away your life for.

And Im sure you would be sent overseas as soon as possible if this surge goes through, and probably even if it doesnt. So I dont think your girl will be living on a base, shed probably be living back home, and knowing some of the characters that have been in your life, would you really want your girl and daughter on the other side of the globe?

I hope you make the decision youre confident with, and that will make you happy. I know your girl is a big part of your life right now, but things change, and Id hate to see anyone make a permenant descision based on a temporary situation (I hope not, but im just giving a worst case senario) Best of luck to you man

16. [​IMG]

Canadian Missile!

Haha, sry Rasta, i had to do it.

17. Thanks, KSR. I really appreciate it. It means a lot coming from a guy like you. :)

Well that's a pretty big problem. I think it's a tough job, you need to be more than physically committed.

Exactly, you have to be really committed to a cause.

Yeah, I agree, it's good that you have your kid's best interest in mind. Lots of kids don't have dads like that.

Maybe you can look for a non-combat position, there's lots of them, might be worth some research though. Some kind of specialty or something.

There's lots of ways to make money. Try and find one where you don't gotta put your life on the line, that's all i can suggest. Kids needs their dad more than they need nice stuff.

18. [​IMG]

19. Iran has just purchased a shitload of ship destroying missiles from Russia.

They are ready for our Navy.

I wouldn't join KSR, they obviously don't take care of their own.

Why can't you find a job? What type are you looking for?

Your in the D, try finding a job working on a factory floor, they pay decent I think.

My girlfriend's step-brother was in the Navy and we were talking about it and he said and i quote "DO NOT joint the military"

someone from the army just said to me today "i couldn't recruit for the army, because i'd just tell them the truth"

You don't need to die lining someone elses pockets and leave behind a baby girl

Tell your girl to back off on pushing you to join, that's your life on the line she's pushing for.