The amsterdam weed ban

Discussion in 'General' started by stonerchick1990, Aug 8, 2012.

1. The people who are going there to use drugs are people going to smoke canabis in a fun, relaxed and controlled enviroment. They're not strung out on smack in some gutter.

2. duel citizenship rules. usa and netherlands from birth, going back to holland for the first time as an adult this summer and i can't wait..

3. No lie fellow blades, but I cant say that I care. I can get excellent tree where I live for a good price . . . never had the desire to travel across the globe to smoke . . .

4. I'm thinking they might take a hit to their tourism if/when this happens.
    I mean why not just go someplace nearby that has better chocolate or Bier hm?
    Of course, less tourists, less money, less hotels making money, less hookers being frequented.
    Could change how their little place runs quite a bit.

I know I wouldn't bother with the place anymore.

5. Amsterdam, No. Portugal here I come :cool:

6. Yes, of course they want tourism.

It's clear though that they don't want THAT kind of tourism.

And I promise you that if teenagers sitting on a weed forum are considering things like losses due to revenue from tourism, I guarantee that city representatives have been running the numbers though CPAs for months (if not years) prior to enacting these laws. Clearly someone there doesn't see the detriment as all that bad.

Time will tell. Ultimately it will be pressure from the coffee shops and loss of revenue to the city that may reverse such a decision. I doubt it though, which sucks, because I'll be crossing that particular trip off my bucket list for now.

7. My fiance and myself were considering planning our honeymoon in Amsterdam. Prob would have spent over $10k there.

Fuck that now.

8. #28 Gta iv, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    It's all well and good to say they don't want '' that kind of tourism '' But look at how many people in this thread including myself have no interest in visting amsterdam now.

It's going to hurt them alot down the road. Think about all the people who know amsterdam simply because you can smoke weed their. In 15 years amsterdam will be some forgotten place on the map no one really remembers.

Just like some random place in italy. If you vist italy you'll do research and find some amazing places to vist but without the free publicity of being a country that allows weed it's kinda hard to get you're little city known on an international scale.

Amsterdam WAS up their with las vagas as a must see travel location without weed it offers nothing that italy or new zealand doesn't

9. Boooooooooo

10. I'm not quite sure what you're expecting to get up here, it's still illegal..but we'd be happy to have you nonetheless.

11. Uh, I hate to break it to you, but this thread, or this entire forum, or the entire population of cannabis users around the entire world, is not something that has EVER come up on a pie chart or statistical graph during a meeting of professionals discussing tourism.

Stop trying to think that cannabis is the make-or-break factor for Amsterdam. That's like arguing the downsides of not being able to buy a new Pontiac GTO anymore to someone who drives a minivan. In other words, they really don't give a shit.

Yes, because after all, Amsterdam or Holland was not even a recognized country before "coffee" shops started selling weed. I suppose AAA never sold a single tourist package before then, right? I mean, have you seriously talked about Amsterdam to non-smokers before? It's not just desert as far as the eyes can see, with a single street full of coffee shops and nothing else. Their tourist revenue does not start and stop with the burning of a joint.

Again, stop thinking that cannabis is the end-all-be-all here for Holland. Maybe to you or me it's a major factor for us touring there, but for the other 90% of the global population, they could honestly give a shit either way, and will continue to visit there.

12. #32 Gta iv, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    So you're saying if las vegas outlawed gambling they'd be fine too ? Come on bro being anti weed is one thing being ignorant is another. Maybe you read travel guides but i could give a fuck less what they have to say.

Truth is alot of people go overseas to be apart of something more. Vegas = gambling Australia = best place on earth America = gun nuts hilarious nutjobs. Egypt the pyramids.

do you get what i'm trying to say ? their losing their calling card to the world. It's stupid, stupid. Do you think hawaii would be as loved if it wasn't a tropical paradise ? What about antarctica and the snow ?

All due respect but this whole '' it's weed'' so only druggies use it is not only ignorant it's morinic. Look at all the places i just named they mean something to the world and have something to offer

what does amsterdam offer ? You can go to places all over the world like amsterdam. Weed gave it something unqiue a gimmick if you will.... no gimmick.... less desire to travel their.

Do you see where i'm going with this. Nature walks and river cruises arent an amsterdam exclusive.... weed was.....

Sorry if i'm a little harsh i'm just saying if you've got something that makes you're country/city unique wouldn't you be pushing that as you're selling point ? like australia does with hot chicks and beaches ?

13. I was just there last year and they said it wouldn't go into effect in northern Netherlands, like Amsterdam. So no worries, but thank God for dual citizenship in Germany haha.

14. Lets be honest here, folks that are saying it won't negatively effect things...
    When you mention Amsterdam to anyone, ANYONE outside the place, what do they say they know about it?
    Weed and a pretty good Sex trade.
    I myself can only think of two other things...lots of bicycles, and a big canal type thing that runs through the place.
    Oh, and apparently a lot of squats.

While I acknowledge not everyone would go there for weed and whores, I don't think the rest of what comes to mind is really a huge selling point.

I mean shit, I'd just go to Venice...seems like a nicer version of what's left.

I agree that the loss of this kind of tourism wouldn't destroy their place or hugely threaten their way of life, but it will dent things...and I think for them it will have some kind of negative effect.

15. You're right, it is pretty much the same thing as Vegas and the fact that people go there to gamble.
    Obviously there are other things to do there but that is the main attraction the same as people going to Amsterdam to smoke canabis. The majority of people aren't going there to see the building, museums and canals, They want to smoke weed.
    I can't see why it's all of a sudden a bad thing to want to go to a place to take advantage of what the place has to offer.
    It's not ok for non residents to go there and smoke weed anymore but its fine to pay a woman for sex? How is that ok?
    Would people be more comfortable with people just going there just to pay a woman to have sex with them? Is that a much more respectable reputation?

16. That's the local attitude. They want coffee shops for themselves. They call potheads junkies, dammit. I got dirty looks in the tram cause I smelled like weed. Like, seriously? It's legal and I'm still wrong? Fuck em. They look down on pot smokers, generally. It's like they have the greatest gift in the world and they don't really want it. I felt more like a drug addict in Amsterdam than I ever have in NY where it is completely illegal. I hate attitudes like that. The drunk tourists in time square don't bother me. They bring in tons of $$ that help MY city ultimately. Fuck that dude

17. Meh there culture means more to them than Money.

That to me is what theyre saying.

So fuck it.

Everyone here is thinking from the Tourist Perspective. Anyone got the numbers on how much damage and how much it costs in taxes to house deliquant Tourists in there jail cells? jw

18. How is it delinquent if it's legal?

19. Its not the stoners.

Its the people on shrooms and other LEGAL drugs there.

There like rowdy drunks getting in trouble. Look it up. They had gnarly issues with tourists getting rowdy, starting trouble, and getting arrested.

EDIT: AND if you get arrested your a deliquant. Period. lol

20. Yea, we're talking about weed tho. Coffee shops don't sell shrooms anymore. They haven't since 2008 or 2009. They also don't sell alcohol. They only sell weed and hash. Both legal.