The absurdity of God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DDV, Jan 25, 2013.

1. #1 DDV, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    There are many metaphors in this thread. If you are have a metaphor sensitivity, it is advisable to not go on reading any further.

-------

What is God? Surely you already have an image in your head, perhaps of a being. Most likely male. Maybe resembling Jesus christ? But this isn't God. To me, Jesus was simply giving directions to those lost. But I will come back to that later.

What does it mean to not believe in God? God is like a lake. I can tell you all about the lake, go into detail of how beautiful it is, use colorful adjectives and language and even have some of my friends give you their personal testimonials of how wonderful the lake is. But this is not the lake. You can't know the lake without simply going there. No matter how many descriptions or experiences I can share, you will not know the lake. Though, you may have a vague idea of what the lake looks like. To put it simply: you will never know the lake until you have been there.

Jesus was like someone giving out directions. What do you if you want to find the lake? Why, ask for directions of course. Unless you know where it is already. Imagine this: you ask for directions, and a man gives you directions. He provides a beautiful description of the lake, so beautiful you fall in love with it. You feel joy hearing his voice. So much, that you bow down to him and begin to worship this man. Suddenly you have identified with this man, he becomes a part of you, like a brother. Attachment forms. You have completely forgotten about the lake, instead you worship the one showing you the way.

Now, is this not absurdity? All because of the language the man used. You never made it to the lake, by the way. Albeit, you could have found the lake if only you had explored a little bit, without the need for help from anyone. But needless to say you chose a different route.

In my opinion, this is the absurdity of religion. Who's fault is it, the man giving directions, or the one who worships the directions? Now, imagine yet another scenario: so many lost tourists ask for directions from this man, that he has gained a following(The lake is empty by the way - no one visits it anymore). Your own life revolves around the life of another. This goes on for many years, centuries, so long that the word "lake" is now a name for the one giving directions. It has lost all meaning.

My fear, my worst nightmare, is that one day this lake will cease to exist. The very reason to visit the lake will become extinct, the masses will flock to the one giving directions, and the lake will dry up and instead become an empty bed of sand and dust. There will be no more water to drink, no more water to bathe in, no nourishment for the plants, and ultimately, the humans that were "once lost" will starve to death.

And they never even made it to the lake.

2. you can type out a whole essay on why you think what you think but you simply DO NOT KNOW.

so smoke up while you dont know breh!

3. Are you talking about me?

These were simply thoughts. Ideas, concepts. The beauty of the world is that there will always be someone that disagrees with you no matter what the topic. I have come to accept this and admire it, and use it as a tool to understand the perspective of others. As Lao-tzu once said:

When the superior man hears of the Tao,
    he does his best to practice it.
    When the middling man hears of the Tao,
    he sometimes keeps it, and sometimes loses it.
    When the inferior man years of the Tao,
    he will laugh aloud at it.
    If he did not laugh, it would not be the Tao.

4. Hmmmmm *yawns*

OK so I didn't read that, but what is your religion?

5. Ah, I was afraid of that. Maybe this would be better off in the philosophy subforum?

6. So this is about the absurdity of religion, not God - your title was a little misleading. :p Also, I was a little disgruntled when you took a guess at what people envison God to be - it automatically makes non-Christians feel less able to relate to your messafe, because they might believe you are religiously close-minded or maybe just inexperienced.

Your lake metaphor was interesting, yet fails to work in the end. A God would not rely on the power of human faith, or the knowledge of/experience of/immersion with God - that would require humans to have created it, and well - who really cares if that's true? Our benevolence might lead us to want to keep it alive - but is it strong enough to put in the work? Anyway, this is another topic. My point is, if God exists - it would be strong enough to support itself, and any 'drying up' would not occur as a result from us being lead away from it.

You asked whose fault it is that we're being lead away - the people giving the directions, or the people listening. Both are at fault. The directionals shouldn't lead the others astray - but if they are, then that means they have not yet arrived at the destination themselves. And that's where the metaphor turns funny, because it means that both the directionals and the followers are misinformed, and one in the same.

The real directionals - the ones who have seen 'the lake', swum in it - only want to lead the others to the truth, disregarding their own wants (but not needs, because if they cannot live, then they cannot direct). The person who has been to the lake has washed their desire to put their gains over others' path to the lake. The lake is so magnificent, they only want to share it.. as you said, when someone asks.

7. Oh no, that's not the impression I wanted to give. I was sort of brainstorming and writing whatever thoughts came to me so that's why its a bit messy. The beginning was meant to be elaborated and talk about how perhaps God isn't an actual being, etc.

The part where you discussed who is at fault - I don't think the one giving directions is at fault. In my opinion, Jesus Christ was merely pointing to where God can be found: "Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

I just feel as though today's religion isn't really about the message, its more about the leader.

The part about the lake drying up, that was meant to illustrate that the lack of realization of God in humanity can lead to God having no place in day to day life, therefore, it wouldn't exist as a concept, and it couldn't be understood. Though, I am referring to God not as a leader, creator, and overseer, but more as a force that gives life to anything that is alive. So to me, Jesus was simply saying "I am god!" because he realizes he was alive. He had life, as everything else. But a misunderstanding occurred and his disciples, as I mentioned earlier, became too focused on the speaker and not the message.

8. I was just trying to give you some perspective.. the best intentions are easily misunderstood. :p

I agree with you on that. I failed to specify the change in time frame that I was referencing. I assume nowadays that most people giving the directionals nowadays are selfish and don't care as much about others' success as their own personal gain. I think Jesus was doing it for the best of others.

Yeah my bad man, I was lacking in specificity about that. Most of my message that was relevant was referencing more current-day leaders. Religion, in my experience, is based on the message.. then gets misused and abused more and more, the longer it exists.

Do you believe life exists because of a 3rd party force? That is how I interpret what you're naming God; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Going off of that, wouldn't that mean God is not alive? And if we only live because God's will allows or encourages it, then isn't it a creator?

Are you trying to claim God is simply the universe? I'm confused as to what exactly you think God is.

9. LOL at your second sentence. Cant handle people questioning your metaphors still?

Anyway to me the real question is the does the lake even exist and why should anyone believe there is a lake if they have never seen it/experienced it?

And if said lake did exist would humans have the ability to idenfity it? Could humans be tricked by there senses into thinking that something that wasn't a lake was a lake?

10. This guy is agnostic... tldr

11. I agree. People get too caught up in who was giving the message instead of the actual message.

I don't believe god is an actual entity. The closest I could come to describe it is the Tao, I have a book that describes my thoughts pretty well on the topic of God. Hold on let me find it..

Ah, found it. Apologies for the length, this excerpt explains it better than I ever could.

12. #12 DDV, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    Ah man come on. Lets forget about the metaphors already, its just a way of explaining things and not everyone enjoys it.

Im gonna change the term "lake" to "god" for clarity purposes. You shouldnt believe it exists if you dont want to. But to those who seek it, there are teachers - like Jesus, or Buddha, who show the way. Of course you can always be deceived, but if you don't seek it you will never find it. You can't see it or experience it without seeking it first. Of course I'm assuming you are understanding God in the traditional sense, and that's not what I am talking about. God to me simply means life. Or "spirit", soul.

Humans can be tricked. The point here is, you have no idea unless you find out for yourself. Until then there will be nothing but questions and curiosity. If you look for it, then, perhaps you could say "I couldn't find a thing. It was all made-up." Or, you could reach Satori, nirvana, or moksha, and find God within thyself. But of course, you must seek it to find results. Until then it remains a mystery one can only speculate about.

13. DD, I like your interpretation of God. It is a lot of fun.

I want to take care of loved ones though.. so I must plan for that as well.

14. Thanks, it sure is alot of fun haha. I thought I was crazy for a long time until i became familiar with Taoism and realized their definition of God was the same as mine.

What do you mean you have to take care of loved ones?

15. I want to buy a house for my parents.. have one for my family and I... set my children up for success in what they want, while being around them and my wife enough to be a proper parent and husband.

I know it's a lot to hope for, and it requires some work. Nothing's perfect. But I am guilty of wanting to make this dream come true. :)

16. Yeah I understand, it's not really alot. It's a humble want that I'm sure most people have.

But.. what does this have to do with God haha

17. Oh. I have no idea. I suppose I view my dream as my God.. :laughing:

My bad dude *awkwardly pulling on coat and shoes and leaving out the back door with awkward goodbye waves*

:smoking:

18. :laughing:

It's all good. You can't fulfill your dreams if you don't have any right?

19. Too true man, too true