The absolute best example of a truly free market!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by budsmokn420, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I want links and proof that reverse engineering a drug is easy. That sounds like B.S. to me...

I also want a step by step process so that I can do that myself. :p

2. I've already addressed this. If my photo is a component of their "new" product, then that component has a tangible value, just like any other component they are investing in. I'm not trying to begrudge anyone else from making a profit from their own labor, I just want to be paid for mine.

I sell the rights to several my photos to a greeting card company. The photo that goes on the front is just as tangible as the paper they use and the printing costs. It's not that they've come up with a way to make money off of my product that I haven't thought of. I simply don't have the time, inclination, or resources to print and market greeting cards. So they buy a component of their product from me, I make a profit, they make a profit and we all win.

If they could just steal my work, then there's no reason for me to make it in the first place, and we both lose.

3. All you need to do is some pretty simple analyses really...melting temp, elemental composition, some NMR, some mass spec with fragmentation, etc. References aren't really needed. It's done every day in an organic lab when they need to confirm the structure of what their making.

Granted the compounds were relatively simple, but figuring out the structure of an unknown is a standard second term Organic Chem laboratory project.

4. If its so simple how come Coca Cola's recipe has remained a successful secret for 125 years? Sure its easy to figure out the ingredients but its all about putting them together.

5. The recipe for coke isn't exactly a secret and wouldn't be difficult to figure out with reverse engineering. You can find it on the web pretty easily. The success to Coke is in it's marketing and trademark. If anyone could just use the Coca-Cola name, logo and branding, then they wouldn't be a brand.

The creative ideas that go into marketing are often far more valuable then the product itself.

Which is why everyone wants to steal them.

6. Bullshit. Find it and post it. If you google it you'll fine people are still trying to figure out the recipe to this day.

7. snopes.com: Coca-Cola's Secret Formula

The recipe has changed over the years. Not only that but there is no single recipe for Coca Cola. It's different all over the world. The "secret ingredient" is nothing more than a blend of essential oils. Nothing too earth shatteringly complex.

There would be no point in reverse engineering the formula, other then to say you did it. Without the marketing and branding behind it, it would just be another cola.

8. there's internet fraud and scams and and other criminals who get away due to lack of regulation and attention to it

/devils advocate

9. Which is due to people not taking the right precautions. In the free market the consumer has to be responsible. Freedom isn't convenient a lot of the time....it might take some effort and awareness. Before buying off an unknown site or something along those lines, you can easily google them first and read reviews and find out about the site.