the 1000watt giveaway

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by butwhole, Feb 13, 2015.

1. I heard that 1000 watt digital ballasts give off a signal that can be picked up on normal radios. They say it's a dead giveaway that cops are using to confirm suspicions of grow rooms.

I live in a high-crime state where growing is legal, so I'm not worried about unscrupulous cops using this little exploit, but I AM concerned that tech savvy crooks might use it to locate my grow. So concerned, in fact, that I'm considering getting a 400w MH / 600w HPS setup instead. (I need digital ballasts, because this area constantly has unexpected power failures.)

Personally, I'd rather have the 1000w setup. I imagine the local rippers would prefer it, too.

So, what's the deal with this signal? Is it real? Is there a way to prevent the signal from leaving the tent or the room? Maybe a trick to scramble it, or make it look like it's coming from somewhere else? 

2. I've never heard of that. If it were true, one would need a scanner, and be very close to the ballast.

3. #3 butwhole, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  4. #5 Head Chef, Feb 14, 2015
    I think it's utter bullshit and 12feet....if someone picked up my ballast from 12 feet away they won't be walking out my house fully functional again....

Chef.

5. #6 butwhole, Feb 14, 2015
    aside from the toughest guy on the internet, does anybody have any actual insight on the science behind this?

6. #7 Distrex, Feb 14, 2015
    All products that this would happen to have to be tested by the fcc. If you turn some electronic products over you csn see their sticker. If your ballast is running like it should be you shouldnt really see any Rf being emitted.

If it's damaged, they're certainly could be some Rf leaking out. If you buy a good ballast and keep it in good condition you should have no problems.

If you are really that worried about it, you coukd alwayd build a small faraday cage for it.

7. Hmmm...I've never had a use for a Faraday cage yet... it's totally worth looking into.

From what I've read, magnetic ballasts operate at 60Hz, while digitals can go up to 400x that. I was told that's a lot of electrons flying around.
    I also read that the lamp cord acts as an antenna, & the longer the cord, the further away the RF signals can be detected.

8. Unless you're buying old beat up ballasts or just treating them like shit when yiu have them, you'll be fine with nothing. There is plenty of shielding inside of stuff like this. I wouldn't really worry a out it.

9. #10 CanadianOrganic, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    I wouldn't worry about it. I agree they probably have blockers built into the newer digital ballasts

10. As long as you don't buy a cheap ballast. I had a cheap 400w ballast (iPower) that gave off crazy RF interference. Would knock out my DSL if it was in the wrong place and made my stove clock hum. I did the AM radio test and the interference was detectable up to like 30 feet from the ballast. While researching the issue I read that the interference can travel down cable lines and knock out whole streets. Cable company shows up and traces the interference right to...well...the source. A Faraday cage or ferrite beads on the cord work, but so does a more expensive ballast with better shielding. And it seems you have more to worry about with Ham radio operators getting pissed about the interference messing with their signal than you do with rippers...those Ham guys can triangulate with each other and pinpoint you.

http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/grow_light_electronic_ballasts.html

11. #12 butwhole, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    Thanks for the reasonable reply & firsthand account. 30 feet means I have at least one neighbor who can pick it up, & anybody driving by could, too. I've heard bad things about the iPower ( like one guy said: "anybody can print an FCC sticker & put it on a product they made in their own bathroom").
    I've been looking at getting a Phantom II.... does anyone have recommendations for or against them?

(Side note to those who insist I have nothing to worry about: this is the only mj forum I've seen where this topic isn't being discussed yet. I appreciate the input, but you might want to consider the possibility that some people live in the #1 poorest AND most dangerous city in America, where home invasions are an everyday occurrence, the cops are NOT available to the general public, & everybody's uncle is an unemployed union electrician that could easily show them where to get a radio & how to use it. What you call "paranoid", we call "sensible". :ph34r:  )

I'll definitely be looking into the ferrite beads. Thanks again for the reply.

12. I don't know about the Phantom II specifically, but I replaced my iPower with a Phantom ballast and LOVE it. No RFI problems, and no fan cooling it so it's dead silent.

13. Not having a fan was what drew me to the Phantom ballasts. This system will have enough places for things to unexpectedly break down, which I'd rather minimize where I can. I figure if a company can't make their ballast dissipate heat without moving parts, then their stuff might not be very reliable in the first place. Thanks again for the input.

14. 1. If this truly is a place where you fear for a home invasion and violent crime on a daily basis, you should totally move.

2. Unless you live an apartment 20-30 feet would be right up close.to your house. And like was mentioned earlier, if you're thay fearful someone is lurking that close to your house get a gun or move.

3. If you already had a completely formed based opinion on the subject, why did you ask for other people's opinions?

I work on machines that have several Rf generators per machine. I repair them and mess with them on a daily basis. Companies can't just print out and fcc sticker. Their would be lawsuits and fines that would shut them down

15. 1. Got it: everyone should sell their homes & evacuate the city instead of taking sensible measures to make their homes safe.

2. You're right: I don't live in a cloud mansion that hovers over a crime-free dreamscape. And like was mentioned earlier, I'd rather avoid the whole action-movie-bloodbath part of the home invasion by just taking sensible steps to prevent a home invasion.

3. I didn't have a "completely formed based opinion". I simply asked for input about the reality of leaking RF signals & how to deal with them...not opinions from people who make themselves feel big by repeatedly calling other people "fearful".

4. Send me your address & 54 bucks & I'll personally mail you a homemade FCC sticker. If you want to make a few thousand yourself, here are publicly-available links to the supplies:
    Sticker paper: $14
    Printer: $40
    I wonder if there are people who do things that are illegal? I mean...are there people who think they can get around the fines & the regulations?
    Hmmm...
    Nah, there couldn't be. Everybody follows the law. Right? :rolleyes:

16. And I'm done. Have a good day.