Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC topical salve *Healing ointment* How-to

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ironhead, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ya that is not a very good deal.. thats how much this stuff costs in a dispensary???

2. #102 Izzy Mandelbaum, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you!! You don't know how happy you will make someone today :)

They stopped making BF&C awhile ago... this appears to be the same thing under a new name!

Comfrey is over-hyped. I've used it in ointments my whole life.

EDIT: Make your own noob, it's super easy, especially if you already are making an alcohol extract. What I meant is to buy an ointment like that, then melt it and add it to your canna-coconut oil.
    I tried to rep, but have to wait longer. . . .

3. Cannabis root has alkaloid issues, also. I've been able to find ways to neutralize those for internal use but if only intended for a topical, it's not an issue. I haven't fully checked it out in detail yet. I'll do that when I get the roots in a week or two.

I don't believe Izzy is referring to a pre-made cannabis salve, is he? (Get it - Izzy, is he? I've been wanting to find a place to use that. Sorry, Izzy, I couldn't help it.:eek:) In some good herbal stores and online you can purchase herbal salves of various compositions to treat whatever ails you. You would just add your cannabis oil to that and you have an instant cannabis salve. I've seen many cases where this was recommended. It's like when I use premade candy meltaways and just add oil. I didn't do all of the candy making but it's still damn good and a hell of a lot easier. That's a good suggestion, imo.:D

4. That's what I meant by pre-made salve. Melting one and then adding some cannabis extract to it.

I may use the one noob linked to above. I've used that for my whole life, but they stopped making it by larger company .... and it finally looks like it is back. I just checked, it is the same blend of herbs as my old jar.

5. Yessiree

That bowl you had in your pic would be worth a grand easy street.

6. [quote name='"hemi4spd"']

Yessiree

That bowl you had in your pic would be worth a grand easy street.[/quote]

Dangggggg.. Stupid south.:rolleyes:

7. Do you know what the common 'dosing' is for topicals?
    Like how much equivalent in dry herb is in each oz or whatever of retail ointment?

8. Big Thanks for everyones contributions to this thread! There is some super good info floating around in here and I hope this thread can help others on down the road.

:gc_rocks:

9. These are the ones sold in most of the clubs I've seen here. Each is 20 bucks and is very good. The one on the left is a roll-up mentholated alcohol based salve that is great for muscle aches, sprains, arthritis, etc. The one on the right used to have a label on it but I now use the jar for my own concoction. This was was called a balm and was an oil-based cream almost exactly like what we've been discussing here. It was this one that made me want to make some myself. Unfortunately, there are no percentages on the ingredients but for each it was the oil that was infused. The roll-up is 2oz and the balm is 1oz. :)

[​IMG]

10. #110 noob_wannaB, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    You guys are AWESOME! What a great idea...queen of thrifty here didn't even occur to me, must be slipping ;)

I just ordered all the ingredients PLUS some of that salve (before I read your replies) so I've got some hash making to do :laughing:
    I'm going to try SGs recipe (eventually) scaled WAAAY down of course.

Thanks soooooo much!!

11. Oh One more thing Works great on smashed sore feet at night!
    I keep my creme in refrig to keep it from spoiling
    any idea on how long it will keep being coco and all?

12. It should last awhile, if it was made properly. Coconut oil lasts a few years un-refrigerated, they say. Assuming there isn't too much plant material in yours, it should last a good bit in the fridge especially.

I gave a bunch to my mom and she is still using it up. It must be close to a year old now. She was just asking about more today. .

13. Hey Izzy, Iron, anyone....ever done this??
    I have all the ingredients but the hash (DOH!) for SGs salve, so while I'm waiting I thought I might try Dr Christophers and maybe adding some goodness to that. Should be here tomorrow, but looking at the info on the website (I linked it up there ^^^^^^somewhere) it says to refrigerate after opening. Would melting it to add the thc render the creme/ointment useless I wonder? Stuff's not cheap and I'd hate to ruin it before I even try it. Maybe I'll just try using a little bit first....

yep, that makes sense doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I'll try it as is, then infused with some of Sam's GD and report back. :wave:

14. [quote name='"noobwannB"']

Hey Izzy, Iron, anyone....ever done this??
    I have all the ingredients but the hash (DOH!) for SGs salve, so while I'm waiting I thought I might try Dr Christophers and maybe adding some goodness to that. Should be here tomorrow, but looking at the info on the website (I linked it up there ^^^^^^somewhere) it says to refrigerate after opening. Would melting it to add the thc render the creme/ointment useless I wonder? Stuff's not cheap and I'd hate to ruin it before I even try it. Maybe I'll just try using a little bit first....

yep, that makes sense doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I'll try it as is, then infused with some of Sam's GD and report back. :wave:[/quote]

That should work just fine Mrs. Noob! They had to melt all that stuff to get it to combine in the first place.. Some low heat shouldn't mess with it at all.. Just make sure that you infuse the hash/buds/trim into the coconut oil before adding into the melted mixture!:D:D:wave:

15. As a matter of fact, I have some infused coconut oil in my pantry :D I like it for baking MUCH better than butter, and hey...it's multi purpose :laughing:

16. The refrigeration is to prevent spoilage. Probably something in it that will turn rancid otherwise, especially if it's an organic product with no preservatives. Like Ironhead said, there shouldn't be any issue melting it to add the oil. Do it slowly with low heat and when you're ready for it to set again, whip it well to homogenize any separation that might have taken place and to incorporate the infused oil throughout. :)

17. SNAKE OIL! haha

Yo thats dope stuff man! I will deffinently have to try this out once my Trees and done with the trims!

18. It is dope stuff my friend!:smoking:

19. Whole Plant Ointment ~ Roots, stems, leaves, flowers

[​IMG]

20. Have you tried it yet, Izzy? And can you tell any difference with the root?