Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC topical salve *Healing ointment* How-to

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ironhead, Nov 25, 2012.

1. First off, Thank you Ironhead for this great tut!

I would like to know If I could throw some fresh or dried rosemary in with the weed/oil mix on the stove? I know the rosemary has plenty of health benefits and I'm growing it so I thought it could be of use

:smoke:

2. Sure you can dude! Rosemary is a great herb with many benefits.. try it out and let us know back here how it turned out. :smoke:

3. I'm not sure how concentrated the rosemary would be, however rosemary oil is supposedly a good analgesic, and I want to try that in my next batch. Tell us how you do, but if ya have the extra scratch I'd recommend getting rosemary oil. You can find it fairly cheap online, I'll leave a link below. This website has many great ingredients for lotions, balms, and creams that would be great to experiment with. The rosemary oil is only about $7 for a small jar containing 1 ounce of oil. The link is for the medium sized one though.

Rosemary Essential Oil, Natural Crafts, by GloryBee Foods

4. #84 Izzy Mandelbaum, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    I am planning on making a batch soon. I'm gonna be doing a harvest and making edibles, tinctures, and lotions with this plant.

I am planning on making a topical and putting it into tins, so I can give a few away. I have some leftover bud from qwiso, some sugar trim, and some fan leaf, plus I will add some nice bud from this harvest. I'm going to do an everclear extract and boil off with some oil. Planning on a 2:1 mix of coconut oil and safflower. I may add some lecithin. Then also some Vit E oil and some beeswax. I just need to choose a scent.

I have some older, weak topical oil I experimented with 'flavoring' today. . I want the odor to cover up any stronger smells from the oils I choose to use, like hemp or olive, since they leave some odor.

What else do people use as essential oil additives? I've seen tangerine and lavender in the thread.

5. Almond, gives it a cherry pie aroma. :)

6. Lavender is always nice too ;)

7. #87 TheHashashin, Jan 21, 2013
    Soooo I was thinking on makein some oh this but flowers are pretty precious where I am soooo...

Anyway I got some bruised ribs or maybe a pulled pectoral? bruised lung? (I dunno I doubt the llung my girl says that would be more excruciating but I also have a VERY high pain tolerance) anyway I'm pretty sure it's a Fucked up ribs.... I'm 24 I have a VERY HIGH tolerance (at least a half to a oz a week or so... Dunno if it matters) anyway these bruised ribs are from taken a REAL hard spill and face planting off a jump on a snowboars... Breathing hurts... Anybody tried this for a injury/skeletal issue?

Oh ps watching "run from the cure" fucking awesome

Edit typos and ps

8. Hey guys here is SG's recipe for the salve that he make and donates to his local club. Apparently, this is some VERY good stuff.:smoke:

[quote name='"SG1"']

Getting low on my salve supply.
    I always have a good salve around.
    Gonna make a big batch in next couple weeks.
    Waiting on some herbs to arrive.

Here's the next batch.
    1/2 gal of virgin olive oil.
    1 gal of coconut oil.

6 ozs calendula flowers
    12 ozs comfrey root (powdered)
    8 ozs st. johns wart
    8 ozs lavender flower
    6-8 ozs dry sift hash/kief
    8-10 ozs bees wax.

Never, ever boil this mix.
    Oil boils at like 360 F and kills the cannabinoids. 200 F is sufficient.
    Never leave it be, stir almost constantly.
    Also take it off and on the burner on low setting about minute intervals.
    About an hour over the stove usually leeches all the goodies from the herbs and hash.

I then use a stainless steel fruit press with a clean linen cloth for straining all the fine material.
    After pressing, put the clean oil back in the pan, and add the bees wax.
    I use BW pistels that melt quicker than solid wax.
    Again watch the heat.
    Put a small sample in the fridge while letting the rest sit on the stove (power off).

Once sample solid in fridge, allow to sit at room temps for an hour.
    You want it solid, yet melt in your hand.
    Most salves are stored at room temp, so adjust as needed with more wax.

95% of my salve goes right out to the public, most donated to 2 local clubs, and patients.
    Cost me $100 for enough medicine to help almost a 100 folks with a 2-3 month supply.

I remember this one old lady I met with severve R. arthritis.
    Her knuckle were swollen and she was in such pain.
    I gave her a 1/2 cup of salve and told her how to use it.
    She gave me a look of doubt as she left, and I could see, she doubted its worth.

A month later, went to the club, and the ole gal came up to me while thanking me for the salve.
    She started tearing up, and at the same time telling me that nothing has ever given her relief.
    Not until my salve anyway.

There is great reward to my madness.
    Offering relief for those whom seek comfort, and for $100 and a few hours of my time.
    Priceless-------:)[/quote]

9. Just a tip, for an alternative to beeswax you could also use emulsifying wax, adding water to the mix. Beeswax is good for a prolonged, slow release, but for a deeper penetrating cream substance, emulsifying wax is great. Also good for adding different essential oils, I think it emulsifies them together at a good consistency.

10. #90 TheHashashin, Jan 21, 2013
    God damn I can't believe all that costs that little... Well I can... But we'll.. God damn.... That does sound good though to bad that's like thousands of dollars worth of hash wherei live :/... Suppose I could scale it down...:'(

@ironhead I have a coconut oil/butter already goin... It's roundabouts 50/50 butter coconut oil... Does the butter mess it up for this do ya think?

11. #91 Izzy Mandelbaum, Jan 21, 2013
    I was thinking about ordering a bunch of stuff to make a similar infusion, but it is just not cost feasible for me. I'm just making it for me, my mom, and a few friends. I may just buy an already made herbal salve with similar ingredients, melt it and add that to the finished oil to get all the herbal goodies.

You can, just buy an herbal salve already made and add it to your homemade coconut-cannabis oil salve.

12. Aha that sounds quite simple is their any reason my coconut oil being half butter would mess it up?

13. You use actual butter, in your topical salves?

14. #94 GroBox, Jan 21, 2013
    Doing some research, I found that comfrey, while effective at treating acute pain, can be dangerous to the liver if used too often. I've heard from multiple sources that it should not be used more than 4-6 weeks annually, and no more than 10 consecutive days, because of the toxins it contains that build up in your system, and can even cause death. I'd suggest removing this from the cream if using it regularly, it could be very hazardous if used year round.

Edit: Try replacing this with cannabis root, it seems similar in chemical composition to comfrey root, without the high concentration of alkaloids. It's reputed to be very helpful in topical applications.

15. No. I use it in my cannabutter though... And I have a bunch on hand but I wanna make this... :/

16. #96 Ironhead, Jan 21, 2013
    Great idea dude! That would be a perfect way to get all the good stuff plus the THC too! For reall... so simple, yet terribly smart.:smoke:

Na brotha.. I wouldn't use it on my skin if it had butter in it.. haha but you can make alot of cookies to kill the pain!:p

17. Butter will go bad and turn rancid which would ruin your product. I'm not sure if there's some preservative to stop that but I doubt it. One of the less known effects of using vitamin E is because it acts as a light preservative in addition to its recognized benefits, but you couldn't use it to try to hold a dairy product for long.

I've been looking into using pure cocoa butter or shea butter instead of coconut oil because I have a friend who's allergic to coconut. Even those butters need refrigeration after a couple of weeks to hold longer. I'm sure there's a decent natural preservative that would work with those but a dairy butter is another story.

As I was typing that last paragraph, a light bulb went off about an aspect of the cocoa/shea butter balm that had been hindering me from trying it. I usually make enough cream to last a couple of months. The 2 wk shelf life had me concerned until I just realized that I have a refrigerator and could cut the container size from a 4 wk to a 2 wk...duh, Sammy, smoke another one. That should allow it to keep its integrity in the Arizona warmth. Although it would be inside, I keep some by my bed and it wouldn't be cold enough. By using cocoa/shea butter, in connection with the coconut oil in some cases, it opens another whole range of benefits for the skin. :)

18. Thanks yea I'll do it next time (lol its farm fresh butter theirs no way in hell it has preservatives) ;)

19. I plan to make SGs salve as soon as I can source and purchase the ingredients so your post gave me pause. Researching comfrey for topical use I stumbled upon this:

Source Dr. Christopher's Herbs - Dr. Christopher's Complete Tissue & Bone Ointment

Just an FYI

Your suggestion about cannabis root was a good one though. Sam is researching the use of roots presently in salves an it seems the pain/healing properties are amazing!

I'd love to be able to purchase an ointment but my state prohibits it, so it's to the drawing board (kitchen) for me :(

20. Forget buying it mrs noob. You can make a whack of it for a fraction if what it costs to buy.
    It's really a piece of cake.

$40 for a little lipgloss sized container is no bargain at all.