Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC topical salve *Healing ointment* How-to

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ironhead, Nov 25, 2012.

1. My pleasure Broski :D

2. Grats on the name change Iron man
    How did ya swig that?

3. Wow! Yeah! I hadn't even noticed until I read this....how cool is that?
    My 'grats as well, and how DID you manage that?

I get grief for being noob :rolleyes:

4. Hey, thanks for the response. I was wondering if the difference in ounces had to do with it reducing down. That explanation makes sense now. I made two mistakes. First, with the double boiler, I wasn't paying attention (too excited) and ended up dropping a cup of product into the boiling water portion of the pan instead of the top half with the melted coconut oil, sitting on my counter. I immediately had to dump the boiling water with the now blanched cup of product into a strainer, lined with a flour cloth. Then I strained out the water as best I could and placed that cup of now diluted product into the coconut oil mixture and then added my 2nd cup of product in with it and mixed thoroughly and placed back onto the pot of boiling water to then let simmer for about 25-30 minutes. I think there there may have been some water that didn't get strained out mixed with the full amount of 'reduced' coconut oil, which was then mixed with the bees wax. This resulted in a less than firm salve in the end. I know I could remelt and add a little more bees wax to get the right consistency but what I have works regardless so I'm happy. I'm just mad at myself for blanching the first cup of product. I know I had some precious oils loss through that mistake but for the most part, I still think I have a strong salve. I've successfully used it for pain reduction/elimination and am happy.

As to your comment about adding other chemicals, I'm not sure if you're referring to my recommendation on adding essential oils or not. If so, you shouldn't consider CPTG essential oils as chemicals because they are not. They are pure and natural, just like the salve. They can only enhance the benefit and not detract. They, in their own right, have MANY healing properties that are very powerful. When combined with the cannabinoids, I can only imagine how powerful they may work together, synergystically speaking. I know others have now commented on their use of lavendar, peppermint and tea tree oils, which I agree with. I used lavendar in mine, which is an incredibly powerful oil with many useful healing properties. I inadvertently tasted the salve and forgot I'd added the lavendar and I have to admit, it didn't taste very pleasant, LOL.

Again, thanks my friend for sharing your recipe and to everyone else who contributes to this amazing forum and specifically this thread. I'm a newbie to all of this and am extremely intrigued and going into this with eyes wide open! :D

5. If you would have let the boiling water cool and then placed it in the fridge, the coconut oil that you dropped into it would have coagulated, like butter does, and you could have then just separated them. For future reference.:D

I also use essential oils in my pain cream. I prefer Tangerine oil because it's a "cheering" essence and always seems to pick me up a bit, which is helpful with dealing with pain. I have also used Eucalyptus, but I'd rather smell like an orchard instead of a gym. Adding other natural healing agents to your enhanced salve compliments and enhances the effects of the thc and doesn't detract from it at all.

6. Such a beautiful plant with so many uses. Honestly how can people think its bad? Well anyways thanks so much for the post this was super interesting.

7. I went to quick links and then add ticket and then wrote myself a ticket on what I wanted and sent it in.. took a while though, so I wasn't holding my breath. It was a nice surprise on the night I hit 5000 posts.. maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno.:D

You always post good info my friend. Thanks for the tip.. it might come in handy one day!:D:D

I think I'm gonna have to try out this "cheering" essence... tangerine oil.. yum.

I have always wondered the same thing! Great user name! Cannabis does Cure!:metal:

8. Cool beans on the name change process, thanks for explaining. If/when I get tired of the flack I'll give it a shot.

Tangerine huh? Wonder if orange oil would work.
    I usually stay away from food smells with shampoos, soaps, anything I'm 'wearing' really though. Never understood why folks would want to walk around smelling like strawberrys for instance.:confused:

I made my salve last night. Soooooo easy really. My trim was good and dry so I didn't decarb. I think it works....hard to say because I've had widespread pain these last few days. When I have something more localized I'll be able to provide better feedback. Smells good though! I used about 1/3 tea tree to 2/3 lavender and they seem to work well together!

Thanks again Iron! :hello:

9. [quote name='"noobwannB"']

Cool beans on the name change process, thanks for explaining. If/when I get tired of the flack I'll give it a shot.

Tangerine huh? Wonder if orange oil would work.
    I usually stay away from food smells with shampoos, soaps, anything I'm 'wearing' really though. Never understood why folks would want to walk around smelling like strawberrys for instance.:confused:

I made my salve last night. Soooooo easy really. My trim was good and dry so I didn't decarb. I think it works....hard to say because I've had widespread pain these last few days. When I have something more localized I'll be able to provide better feedback. Smells good though! I used about 1/3 tea tree to 2/3 lavender and they seem to work well together!

Thanks again Iron! :hello:[/quote]

I'm so glad you made it! Now remember that it gets better with time so in a few days it might work a lil bit more for ya. :smoke:

10. Woot Woot
    I partially sprained my elbow 2 days ago <It hurt like crazy and could almost not bend it
    I treated it the 1st night with salve and the next day,I felt relief within an hour and thenext morn , This morning it does not ever hurt.
    I really feel this salve works, unless it the power of the mind.
    But hey either way I'll take it
    ThksBro
    OH! I forgot to add For those with sore feet from standing all day Give it a try on the footies at night as well as the morning under socks before putting on shoes WORKS WONDERS

11. Is the beeswax simply to make the mixture solid at 'room temperatures'?
    I make a homemade salve, but instead of using beeswax, I just keep it in the fridge and scoop some out when I need it.

I usually make mine with a 50/50 mix of coconut oil and another vegetable oil, plus the medication. I used to make the base during the winters, since it is so dry around here. The base is really, really good for skin disorders and for deep moisturizing for winter dryness. I used to have eczema, bouts of fungal infections, and really dry skin. . . I was making a cannabis oil one day and thought I should put it in, and that is how I started medicating my lotion. :)

I've tried a coconut/hemp/cannabis oil mixture as my first attempt and really liked it. My only complaints was the very nutty smell from the hemp oil and the greasy feeling after using it. I actually gave 1/2 of this to my 70 y.o. mother to help her with her knee pain.
    I got my mom to try weed at age 70 ;)

The current batch I made is made with a mix of coconut and safflower oil. It seems to be less 'greasy' after I use it than with a 50/50 mix of coconut and hemp. I liked the hemp oil, but think it may be a little greasy for pure use. I may add a little hemp, or maybe even a little flax oil in, to get some omega-3 fats back into the mixture. I'm planning on adding a little more medication to this batch soon anyway.
    My plan for future batches is that I'm going to start making a mix of cannabis infused mix of 50% coconut oil and a 50% mixture of multitude of different vegetable oils.
    There are other oils that can be used as well. I want to try some avocado oil and apricot kernel oil too, in the future. I want to try apricot because it is supposed to be very light in the greasy feeling category. Plus these oils bring advantages like omega-3, omega-6, vitamins, and other beneficial compounds.

Safflower Oil Skin Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM

Hemp Seed Oil For Skin | LIVESTRONG.COM

Apricot Kernel Oil Skin Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM

12. so uhhhh is this gon get meh hai?

13. No it won't.

14. [quote name='"Izzy Mandelbaum"']

Is the beeswax simply to make the mixture solid at 'room temperatures'?
    I make a homemade salve, but instead of using beeswax, I just keep it in the fridge and scoop some out when I need it.

I usually make mine with a 50/50 mix of coconut oil and another vegetable oil, plus the medication. I used to make the base during the winters, since it is so dry around here. The base is really, really good for skin disorders and for deep moisturizing for winter dryness. I used to have eczema, bouts of fungal infections, and really dry skin. . . I was making a cannabis oil one day and thought I should put it in, and that is how I started medicating my lotion. :)

I've tried a coconut/hemp/cannabis oil mixture as my first attempt and really liked it. My only complaints was the very nutty smell from the hemp oil and the greasy feeling after using it. I actually gave 1/2 of this to my 70 y.o. mother to help her with her knee pain.
    I got my mom to try weed at age 70 ;)

The current batch I made is made with a mix of coconut and safflower oil. It seems to be less 'greasy' after I use it than with a 50/50 mix of coconut and hemp. I liked the hemp oil, but think it may be a little greasy for pure use. I may add a little hemp, or maybe even a little flax oil in, to get some omega-3 fats back into the mixture. I'm planning on adding a little more medication to this batch soon anyway.
    My plan for future batches is that I'm going to start making a mix of cannabis infused mix of 50% coconut oil and a 50% mixture of multitude of different vegetable oils.
    There are other oils that can be used as well. I want to try some avocado oil and apricot kernel oil too, in the future. I want to try apricot because it is supposed to be very light in the greasy feeling category. Plus these oils bring advantages like omega-3, omega-6, vitamins, and other beneficial compounds.

Safflower Oil Skin Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM

Hemp Seed Oil For Skin | LIVESTRONG.COM

Apricot Kernel Oil Skin Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM[/quote]

Ya that's exactly what the beeswax is for Izzy.. It does still fluctuate between soft and firm though depending on what the ambient temp of my house is. :)

This salve is a tiny bit greasy when it goes on too, but quickly soaks into the skin so it doesn't look so shiny after a few minutes. it does add quite a bit of moisture into my skin and I love the feeling after even just putting some on my hands. I have found that mine is working super great for fungal infections and acne as well.. I have a friend that wants to try it on his daughters eczema.. But is timid to do so due to it showing up in a urinalysis... I think I'll talk him into it shortly. You say it worked good for your eczema right?:confused_2:

15. Yeah. It cleared up the zits on the back of my arms and I hardly ever get 'butt check' zits anymore.

I think the eczema may have been cleared from me also ingesting a cannabis infused coconut oil. A lot of skin problems root from intestinal problems at their true cause. I think eating a cannabis-coconut oil cleared up my gut, helped boost my immune system, and helped my eczema from the inside out, primarily. Cannabinoids are also anti-microbial, so it can help kill stuff in the gut and also on surfaces, like the skin.

I mainly made this cream as a way to moisturize and protect my skin from everyday toxins and the environment. I have a knee issue, and it is also perfect on the pain, and I think it helps the body heal in ways it can't without cannabis.
    Lot's of people consider the skin to be an important 'detox' organ. Almost like a 3rd kidney. I rub my cream all over my body sometimes after a hot shower. I can tell the medicine helps to detox my system, because I get a "taste" after rubbing my body with the cream. I primarily use my lotion as a 'detox' lotion, a pain reliever, skin moisturizer and skin protectant/antioxidant type thing.

16. The beeswax also makes the salve less greasy and keeps it on the skin longer to help with moisturizing. Adding a little cocoa butter will help with both, also.

17. #77 STIGGY, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
    Coco butter what a brainstorm I will Rep ya for that if I can
    I almost thought your Handl was PsychoticSam/I had flash back to the 1970's Does the neighbors dog talk to you too? Lmao

18. My neighbor doesn't have a dog, but his cat says "Good morning!" every now and then. I'm not crazy, though, I'm a Pisces!:D

BTW, my name was given to me in the very, very early 70's.

Thanks for the rep!

19. "I might be crazy but im not insane"
    fellow pisces:smoking:

20. I try to live everyday as crazy as can be