THC not staying in your system for more than a few hours

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Miklelottesen, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Above The Influence of Ignorance | Medical Marijuana & Hemp Facts

The above link states that THC almost completely leaves your system a couple of hours after consumption, and that non-psychoactive THC-metabolites are the 'THC' that stays in your body, causing you to fail a DT.

Well, after reading that I started searching the internet to see if it's true, but I honestly can't find anything. Therefore I ask if any of my fellow tokers would be kind and give me some links (valid sources, of course) :)

I would like to know if it's true that THC itself leaves your body after a few hours, that those metabolites aren't doing anything to your brain and if this also applies to CBN.

2. I dont think so, what causes that 'cloudy' feeling we get that with me can stay up to a week or so after smoking? At first I didn't notice it but as soon as you start taking T breaks every now and then you realize that your head feels alot more 'clear' or whatever after the break. thats why I dont smoke during exams.

3. Actually, the THC that stays in your system is psychoactive, but it produces a "Calming" effect when released, rather than getting you high - similar to terpenes. It often gets released when you're under stress - which is why even someone who doesn't smoke very often is generally happier than a non-smoker :)

4. i'd like to know what they mean by leaves your system... if they mean being stoned, then yea, it "leaves your system" after a few hours, but if they really are claiming it leaves your body in a few hours... i'd love to know what they are on that allows them to be that clouded (it must be a good drug haha) since any relatively experianced smoker knows you can test positive for 30 days or more depening on your bmi and excercise level among other things..

5. that test that you can fail doesn't actually test thc in your system but the thc metabolites. You can't actually measure thc in urine as the kidneys will filter and metabolize it before it leaves that way. I completely believe that for the most part the THC is metabolized fairly quickly.

I definatly don't think it actualy stays in your system for up to 30 days as there are incredibly few drugs that can stay within your system for that long and almost all of them can turn out to be fatal due to buildup and that has never been seen with MJ. Most unrine tests for "drugs" are looking for metabolites and not the actualy drug as the metabolits are present in the system much longer than the "drug"

6. yea they do test for thc metabolites
    unless you take a blood or saliva test.. that actually checks for current intoxication..
    but...
    Marijuana in the Body - How Long Does Marijuana Stay in the Body

"Some THC metabolites have an elimination half-life of 20 hours. However, some are stored in body fat and have a elimination half-life of 10 to 13 days. Most researchers agree that urine tests for marijuana can detect the presence of the drug in the body for up to 13 days. However, there is anecdotal evidence that the length of time that marijuana remains in the body is affected by how often the person smokes, how much he smokes and how long he has been smoking. Regular smokers have reported positive drug test results after 45 days since last use and heavy smokers have reported positive tests 90 days after quitting."

7. Some studies on the detection of various metabolites of cannabis.

Extended urinary Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol excretion in chronic cannabis users precludes use as a biomarker of new drug exposure.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Extended urinary Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol excretion in chronic cannabis users precludes use as a biomarker of new drug exposure. Journal article

A semi-automated solid-phase extraction liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry method for the analysis of tetrahydrocannabinol and metabolites in whole blood.
    Unbound MEDLINE | A semi-automated solid-phase extraction liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry method for the analysis of tetrahydrocannabinol and metabolites in whole blood. Journal article

Simultaneous GC–EI-MS Determination of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, 11-Hydroxy-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, and 11-nor-9-Carboxy-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Human Urine Following Tandem Enzyme-Alkaline Hydrolysis
    Simultaneous GC–EI-MS Determination of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, 11-Hydroxy-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, and 11-nor-9-Carboxy-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Human Urine Following Tandem Enzyme-Alkaline Hydrolysis

Urinary elimination of 11-nor-9-carboxy-delta9-tetrahydrocannnabinol in cannabis users during continuously monitored abstinence.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Urinary elimination of 11-nor-9-carboxy-delta9-tetrahydrocannnabinol in cannabis users during continuously monitored abstinence. Journal article

8. Storm Crow is like...a pack rat for links about everything marijuana.