Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

THC in blood tests

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by MrNice1331, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Don't know where i should put this thread but anyway i have an operation coming up and i was just wondering what would happen if they found thc in my blood. Would they still operate?

2. They aren't going to test your blood.

I don't know how Canada is, but in the US they cannot drug test you without your consent (unless you are a minor and your parents ask them to). Canada's privacy laws tend to be even better.

They aren't going to test your blood.

3. So you think they would refuse you an operation just because of the presence of a certain chemical in your blood?

4. The rats in the first study were being INJECTED with THC IMMEDIATELY BEFORE they were injected with propofol.

OP, don't worry, you will be fine. Your weed smoking will not affect your sedation. You don't need to tell your anaesthesiologist..but you DO need to tell them if you use any other drugs.

5. I do not understand what you are getting at. Do you not know how drugs work?

6. dude dont fuck with granny, what chu thinkin?

7. Or maybe you don't...

OP there is no THC in your blood, if they find THC that would be really weird. They will be looking for 9-carboxy-THC most likely.

And yes, they would most likely still operate unless the presence of the drug was dangerous. In this case, expect the operation to go on as planned.

8. #9 Ironic, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    I am well aware of how drugs work. Are you?

The rats that were less sensitive to propofol were injected with THC immediately before they were injected with propofol. That is why they were less sensitive.

Tell me Ganja.Bus. Is OP going to be injected with THC? No, he isn't? Well, then, the propofol will work just fine.

Thanks for playing.

EDIT: I looked at granny's second study again, and this is interesting.

"The estimated effective propofol induction dose in 50-95% of patients did not significantly differ between groups.We conclude that cannabis use increases the propofol dose required for satisfactory clinical induction when inserting a laryngeal mask."

This is a little bit confusing (it seems that it would be difficult for both statements to be true), and a LOT more research needs to be done on the topic. For now, as long as you aren't getting a laryngeal mask, you are fine.

Personally, I've been knocked out with propofol a few times and don't believe I needed a higher dose..either way they'll keep pushing till you are out :)

9. I don't see how something that only interacts with your GABA receptors (Propofol) could have anything to do with activity on your CB1 and CB2 receptors, not only are they in completely different places, they have nothing to do with each other.

Im pretty sure if you're not actually stoned going into the operation, you'll be golden.

But then again Granny is god of cannabis, so listen to her.