That dreaded question, expected yield?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nerdyGrower, Jan 24, 2013.

1. I realize this is a question that is incredibly fluid and based on about 10,000 different variables. But hopefully I can provide enough info to at least get a ballpark estimate

I currently have the follow equipment with an ebb and flow system
    • 40 gallon res
    • 1000w hps (flowering)
    • 2x 42 watt spiral cfl (veg)

I'm following the Flora Series Simple Drain to Waste feeding schedule
    http://generalhydroponics.com/site/gh/docs/feeding_sched/GH-FloraSeries-DTW-Charts.pdf

Doing 24 light cycle during veg, to move into 18/6 and then 12/12 during flower

Watering twice a day (every 12 hours) for 15 minutes. To transition into 4 times per day (every 6 hours)

The strains that I have (though there is room for some variant in strain specifics)
    • blue mystic
    • tahoe
    • sour diesel
    • sex pistol

This is my first grow so I highly doubt I'll be getting the incredible yields I've seen some get. So all of these things being said, is anybody able to shed some light on this question that has been plaguing me since I started?

2. Well it sounds like you've done enough research to know that nobody can answer this question (did you say how many plants? one of each strain?)

I think an experienced grower however is looking to get over 0.5 g dry MJ / watt of light

So if all goes well, ~1 lb would be a great harvest, ~2 lb would be phenomenal

Good luck!

3. Oops! Yes, one of each strain. I have done my research. I less want to know "how much will I get?" as I do "what could be accomplished?" so that i have some sort of number to gauge my work on

4. I like that you have done your research.

But along those lines of research you should have came to the point that you would realize no one can guess your yield weight.

I'm going to say you'll harvest about 99lbs.. because thats the best damn guess you'll get.

Grow the plants, give them love, and they'll give you love back.. how much love is determined by your growing techniques, which just because you researched them, doesn't mean they are being done properly.

5. 2 ounces per plant

6. Maybe I got super lucky, but I got just shy of 4 per plant (2 plants) with a 300w LED. Not a gram per watt, but not bad at 220g for a first try (in coco). Flowered when they were 12" tall (5 weeks from seed and topped once).

7. What was your light schedule and nutrient formula?

8. Focus on the process and the yield will take care of itself. As mentioned, far too many variables to guess yield....any number you arrive at is only pure speculation. First a first grow, focus on learning all you can and providing the best environment possible....if you get some decent smoke at the end of it, you are ahead of the curve as most first grows do not make it to harvest.

As a newbie, you can expect to get anywhere between 0 and 0.5 grams per watt. Giving any more accurate of a prediction than that is simply not possible, so there isnt much point in asking. That said, you can still get great results on a first grow, i yielded just under 10 ounces with a 600wight on my first run. I did not set any yield expectations (i recommend this for your first time) and was subsequently wowed when i weighed out all of my dried goodness.

Good luck with your grow!

9. sounds like a decent setup and u have a pretty good grasp on the process. if u can swing it next time suppliment with co2. u will not be disappointed

10. I started them at 18/6 for five weeks from seed, then 12/12 for 10 weeks. I used Blue Plant Nutrients, their 2 part formula but at a lesser strength than they recommended. I followed advice found in the coco forums regarding ppm/ec and ph. Generally, I started them off at like 150ppm then after a couple weeks 250, then as they grew I'd add 25 or 50ppm per watering (every other day). About 100 ppm per inch of plant until about 8". During mid-late flower I got up to 1000ppm but got a few burnt leaf tips so I went back down to 800. I flushed the coco and stopped nutes 10 days before harvest.