Terrorism Megathread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Twistedd, Jul 15, 2016.

Tags:

1. well they did say he had multiple weapons up there...he may have had a AR-15 with a bumpstock... but his primary weapon was a belt fed machine gun,

2. im surprised he didnt have '' tracer rounds '' to direct his line of fire,

3. Detective chicken has it all figured out, just ask him....lol case closed I guess.

4. #884 HongKongPhooey, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    No I read that from founding fathers...

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment

Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence
    George Washington

Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not.
    Thomas Jefferson

In England they had taken all the people's guns by the time of the revolution. USA didn't want to deal with that sort of oppression again

There's a reason why the 2nd amendment uses commas and keeps going. Its two different Thing but the same idea. Militias were the nations defense against England initially see: Battles of Lexington and Concord - Wikipedia. But they got incorporated into the continental army once war started breaking out. So the Founding Fathers made sure that all citizens stayed armed that weren't tainted by government influence.

• Like Like x 4
  5. The biggest driver in mass shootings is actually the desire for fame. We're talking about a pathological, narcissistic desire for fame.. fame at all costs, fame for the sake of it, fame without effort or talent..

If you combine the narcissistic desire for fame + suicidal ideation + gun ownership, you're guaranteed to have a mass shooter.

What do all shooters have in common? They're virtually all suicidal, there's no question about it.. they want to take their own lives, that's why they're so willing to throw their lives away by committing homicide. However, being suicidal alone does not make a mass-shooter.

Yes, a mass shooter is suicidal, we've ticked that off - but here's the catch. They don't just wanna die and fade into oblivion - they want to go out in a blaze of glory and achieve notoriety. They know they're going to die either way, they have nothing to lose.. so what stops them from doing whatever they want, prior to leaving Earth?

Mental health and access to guns play a role, but these are only small factors in play.

The catch-22, of course.. is the fact that Narcissism is virtually impossible to diagnose in a clinical setting. If you're wondering whether you're a narcissist and want to seek help for it, you're probably not a narcissist.. because narcissists do not believe they need help. They literally think they're better than everybody else, they have no self-awareness.

That's all it is. Narcissism + suicidal ideation + gun ownership. Never sell a gun to someone who is even remotely narcissistic .. and/or has suicidal tendencies. Narcissists are also surprisingly easy to spot, with simple psychological tricks..

"e.g. You're in a bar and somebody spills a drink in your shirt. What is your first thought: 1. The guy is a douche and is disrespecting me and I'd beat the crap out of him if I could get away with it. 2. I would forgive the guy and just laugh it off as an innocent mistake."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The problem is thus rooted in a certain aspect of American culture itself. Narcissism, the desire for fame, the self-made man. Individualism. Me vs. the World.

Why America Is Prone to Mass Shootings
    American Narcissism and Mass Shooters

This is why Australia, Canada, UK, etc. don't have this mass-shooter problem. People on average are more community-oriented.. more humble. "I can succeed in life if I work harder, but there's nothing wrong with asking for help from the community if I don't make it, because no man is an island."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for a serious reply. How does all this refute my post?

8. #888 Vicious, Oct 4, 2017
    The second amendment is for the individual as a God given right and also addresses the collective right in the miltias. This is from the Supreme Court, not NRA. Good strawman though.
    [​IMG]

Also for people talking about the scale of weapons, it wasn't limited to muskets and flint locks. Civilians were allowed to own artillery, i.e. cannons, and would arm private and merchant vessels.

• Like Like x 2
  9. So what is the argument?
    I was replying to HKG Pho's post which reads
    "The whole point of the 2nd amendment in America is to try to keep us on an even footing with the military. Founding Fathers did not want the government to have a monopoly on firearms"

It was a WTF statement since for the most part the Continental Army was comprised mostly of state and local militias. We still have well organized militias today. They are called the National Guard.

10. Ah, the argument usually goes that the second amendment is intended to maintain the militias and not for the individual. I wasn't sure since most your posts were deleted last page and "Thus the 2nd amendment." seemed to imply its purpose was for the militias and the responsibility the individual had to arm it. I believe the Founding Father's intent was pretty clear. They had amazing foresight regardless of the "army"'s standing during the Revolutionary war which is kinda moot anyways since the constitution wasn't written until nearly 5 years after the war. What point are you trying to make about the Continental army being made up of militiamen in relation to the second amendment? If anything it is in response to inheriting a standing army after the revolution.

11. #891 HongKongPhooey, Oct 4, 2017
    i don't know how anything you said refuted my post. Which is what you seemed to imply by pushing "NRA history" at me

It was inherent the citizenry would keep their firearms, it's part of what made/makes us a Formidable country. Domestic takeover or enemy attack is not only a logistical nightmare it's also against a well armed populace. The founding fathers saw a clear need for a balance of power there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Unfortunately with nuclear war being a very realistic option I don't think our guns will help much.

I think nuclear weapons should be deemed globally unacceptable and every nuclear warhead has to be decommissioned. Any country found in possession of obe should be embargoed completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. So it wasn't for keeping the federal government from having a "monopoly" on weapons?

14. Lol! good luck getting the US, and especially Russia and China to agree to that.

Even if it were agreed upon, there would still be hidden ones.

I like to dream sometimes too

15. Yeah...

But the reality is, with nuclear war nobody wins. And the planet loses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Agreed man. I'm not saying nuclear war acceptable, just that it's impossible to disarm the world..

17. I don't know. A full embargo would completely cripple most countries. It's a pretty steep punishment.

18. Bingo!

That said we all have our achilles heel. For the Irish it's alcohol. We glorify drinking to excess and refuse to acknowledge our countries problem with alcohol. The Yanks are gun mad, they'll never change and the Irish won't change either. It's in our blood and anyway I love drinking.

• Like Like x 1
  19. That's part of the whole preventing domestic takeover thing sustaining Liberty. Can't allow the government to own all the guns.

The specific phrase may not have been used, but the concept Is the same

• Like Like x 1
  20. Well that's if you actually want to takeover and use the ample resources this country can provide.

If not then yeah just blow it up. I think part of the reason for the nuclear stockpile is because US and Russia invasions aren't feasibly invadeable countries due to their size. The logistics make it a losing proposition.