Terpene production/timing

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by veener, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Curious, considering the amount of info ALL over the place about terps and their role in cannabis and our endocanniboid system. And the resulting flood of products claiming there ability to increase terps, etc. So..... is there any info or does anyone have any experience/opinion on if there is a time in the cannabis plant that is most important solely for terpene production? I know that overall plant health contributes the largest to all the goods we want out of the plant. But as for as the plants biological clock-- when does it take in the proper 'nutrients' amino acids, and the likes to produce terps?

2. #2 janemba, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    ive used ANs bud candy, they add terpenoids of a number of fruits and flowers. but i did not see, or should i say smell a change. but thats not to say you cannot alter the plants chemistry.
    i recently read a paper, where scientist in BC added methyl jasmonate to seedlings.
          "The anatomical changes observed following the application
    of MeJA to stems and foliage of conifers are accompanied by
    changes in resin chemistry and, in particular, changes in the
    terpenoid components of the oleoresin. Following MeJA application, the concentrations of monoterpenoids and diterpenoids increase in stems of Norway spruce"
    so it is possible with the right know how

3. AN's bud candy doesn't really add terpines..it's basically just a kelp-derived additive with different sucraloses and glucose added in. So basically sugar. OP, if you'd like to increase terpine production in your plant a pretty solid source would be neem oil. It doubles as pest prevention and leaf polish. Cut with a natural dish soap or as I prefer, dyna gro neem oil with dyna gro protekt make a great foliar. That mix, as well as nytrozyme are my favorite and only foliars. Spray at lights off one night, next night with plain water(to open stomata) the next night, third night no spray to allow plant to rest. Do this consistently through veg starting at the second set of leaves into the first week of flower. Guaranteed you'll notice a difference and never have bug issues as an added bonus.

4. Oh yeah and when you mix neem oil and protekt sometimes you end up with little clumps. Use warm ro or distilled water to loosen up the oil, then I like to filter that solution through a cone filter or some relatively small micron screen to get the clumps out. They'll stay on your leaves and burn them a little otherwise

The biosynthesis of terpenes is so scientifically complex it is not fully understood. There are a few plant species where the process of synthesis of the hundreds of different terpenes has been documented but cannabis has not yet been fully published. The advanced processes are subatomic and atomic and attempting to decode those processes is more commonly referred to, and hated by many, GMO!

I believe it will be a patented process that ultimately claims to alter/modify/enhance plant terpene synthesis and so far there hasn't been one applied for. Stages of plant growth will have an impact on terpene synthesis. For a detailed discussion of terpenes, flavonoids, cartenoids, and how the biology to the process works you can research hops cultivation and learn a lot that applies to cannabis. My bet is that at the end of the research one will come to the realization that terpene manipulation is largely unknown scientifically, it's only been successfully documented for a handful of fruits and flowers, and like maximizing photosynthesis is largely dependent on the grower employing the absolute best horticultural practices one can practice.

Good genetics and excellent growing practice will make for maximized terpene production. Nothing else required.

Plants greatly increase resin and smell the last week of flowering (or 2-3 weeks if you like a stony high and let it go late)

This is when the majority of terps are made in buds, I believe.

To increase production, keep your plants healthy. Terpene producing products sound like bullshit - nute companies are not spending the time and money in a research lab to produce products that ACTUALLY work when they can throw together some sugary substance and say it does.

7. Love the replies, guys. This is actually what prompted me to post it.. I mean, terp production/increase has been on my mind for a while, but I happened across this accidentally- http://terpinator.com/Product_Information.html
    and a little bit of a different description on greners- http://www.greners.com/i/nutrients-additives/brand/rhizoflora/terpinator.html

I spoke to a cust serv rep at greners who said the company uses some specific processing or what not of rock phosphate?? I have no idea....

8. Check out this article: I hope you are not trying to modify the smell so you can sell low THC leveled bud.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/talking-terpenes

9. That's about the best answer so far :)

10. No, I stated in the last post what prompted me to ask...

11. Terpene production occurs during the night cycle and starts to degrade as the day progresses.  If you want to maximize terpenes in the flowers harvest at first light.  Forget about those claims of enhanced production and grow a healthy plant and harvest properly for maximum results.

PW

12. Terpenes are genetic.

The key? Dont fuck up the cure.

13. AN is full of shit. Theyll tell you anything to sell a jug of salt.

Neem oil increases terpenes?!?!

Holy balls. Now I've heard it all. And just when I thought the bullshit was so deep that I'd need hip boots to walk through this joint. Holy Harold Christ on a fucking river crutch.

Ill bet if I spent the money to take out an add that said that jacking off on your plants during a full moon would make your trichs grow bigger, stock in lube would go up ten fold.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LOL! But, the product I was referring to isnt an AN product, but Rhizoflora (sp?) and called "Terpinator". Check out the website for a good laugh ;) www.terpinator.com 

15. Terpinator...wow. lol.

16. I know, right? aaaaha

17. I will second that.

Terpene biosynthesis, as with the biosynthesis or production of other small molecules, is controlled by genes that encode the involved enzymes. However, regulation of these genes and enzymes takes place and can greatly affect terpene production. I know for a fact that the enzymes involved in terpene biosynthesis (not shown in MJ to the best of my knowledge but other models) are affected by the availability of their respective metal cofactors, such as cobalt and magnesium. But often times excess cofactors lead to inhibition, so dumping in extra epsom salt is not a good idea. Other factors such as temperature and humidity are likely regulators of terpene biosynthesis, but only time, money, and research will tell. It will be exciting to uncover the exact conditions that promote maximum terpene synthesis.

If anybody knows of terpene biosynthesis research done on MJ I would be interested.

18. @[member="Mountainhound"] good post

19. He is correct to a certain extent in that Sulphur is a major player in that it will raise levels of Secondary Metabolites which establish the taste and aromas of plants.

Neem contains the highest levels of Sulphur of the seed meals.

J