Termites boring into stems and killing my outdoor CBD plants. Diatomaceous Earth??

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Jblackout24, Aug 9, 2019.

1. I have added some pics of the bugs that are eating my lower stem/roots, so if they're not termites then please inform me. I've already lost 4 plants to them and it wasn't until the 3rd and 4th died that i realized it was root bugs and not root rot/pH issue. They basically have eaten away the bark at the soil/stem interchange point and there are tons of tiny holes near that area with hundreds of microscopic white bugs as well as what looks like adult termites. There is a large downed oak tree within 30 yards of our affected field, and i'm fairly sure that's where they came from. Safe to say we intend to drag the tree off elsewhere and burn it this fall along with the dead plants. uXwyYmRUTjGs75WFHJBnPA.jpg VwqGCmglTCKPTZUUFaMXaQ.jpg

Does anyone have experience using diatomaceous earth for this? I was going to pull a little bit of soil away from the base of the main stem on all the plants and do a layer of the dust on top, with a powder duster. I intend to wait until after the rain comes through today to apply. I am also wondering if it might be worth trying some essential oils such as cinnamon/orange/eucalyptus/etc. Is there still hope for the other 25 plants?

Attached Files:

2. Definitely termites.
    Two plants, catnip and vetiver grass, have shown promise in studies as termite repellents.

Sprinkle Borates on the Area. Borax powder, or sodium borate, can kill termites naturally. You just sprinkle the powder on the termites and the affected area, or you make a solution of the powder and water to spray or paint on affected areas.

Since they are primarily subterranean I don't think the earth will be very effective unless you mix it in.

:smoke:

3. Thanks a ton for this divine info. picking up some Borax tonight. still going to put some DE on the lower stem and soil, as it definitely can’t hurt. Wouldn’t you think applying the borax in a solution to the root zone would be more affective than trying to sprinkle on top?

Thanks.

4. Absolutely.

:smoke: