Terence Mckenna - The universe's best kept secret.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by OpenMindFields, May 21, 2011.

1. Yessir :smoke:

Enjoy! Every single episode of that podcast is awesome, and they have tons of Terence's talks posted. That's the most recent one.

2. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

Yessir :smoke:

Enjoy![/quote]

Sweet thanks! Now I know what'll keep me entertained tomorrow in class. :)

:smoke:

3. Terrance Mckenna, and Bill Hicks are prominent people in shaping the way I think.

4. i definately dose up for mckenna talks :)

5. I approve everything about this! :)

6. Alan Watts is also a very good person to hear speak.

Seriously guys just youtube search him

7. mark?

8. I don't really know much of this guy... will look into more...

Alan Watts was the shit also like someone said ^^

Joseph campbell is not like trippy or philosophical too much but i learned a lot from his global understandings of religious traditions and their significance to the human experience.

Eckhart tolle too... i guess these people are pretty different than TM. Alan watts though guys. youtube that shit.

9. Don't wanna turn this thread from a Terrence Mckenne appreciation thread to an Alan Watts one, but what a god Alan is, he is the pure essence of wisdom manifested in human form.

10. Terence really is who made me want to get into metaphysics.
    I've only watched a handful of his lectures but he speaks so much truth.
    I really wish I could have went and seen him speak before he died..

11. I was going to make my own thread on this but figured this thread would work out fine. What do you guys think of the coming "singularity" Mckenna has been talking about? His Timewave zero chart seems awfully accurate to me and made me reconsider the possibility that something transcendent could actually be happening in the near future..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8v8mgwuubU&feature=g-vrec]The Singularity - Terence McKenna - YouTube[/ame]

12. I've heard one of his philosophies from stumbling onto random videos on Youtube, he seems to be quite a sharp fellow. I also checked out Bill Hicks as well.

13. He is awesome I've really been listening to his stuff latley. Novelty is increasing I can feel it, Excited to see what happens in the next 50 days or so.:smoking:

14. Mckenna's third eye is wide open, mines not quite wide open but its there, I take what he says with a grain of salt. I think many of his proposed theories have such complexities in the explanation that they are impossible. At other times I look at the same theories and say, How could anything be more clear! He was definitely working with a gift, and I'm a firm believer in many of his resolutions of the environmental crisis. I've done some philosophical work on the relationship between hallucinogenics and inherent environmental consciousness, if anyone is interested in knowing more.

Ive read food of the gods and archaic revival, watched some lectures etc. I don't know if the theory is clear as day or muddled but I really am a fan of mushroom evolution or the stoned ape theory.

15. Terence is called the "bard" because he told stories. Not everything he said should be taken seriously.

For instance, most people don't know that Terence never again took mushrooms after 1988. He continued to tell tales of mushroom trips after 1988, because that's what his audience wanted. This caused a severe amount of cognitive dissonance within him: did he keep telling the audience what they wanted to hear, or did he come out with the truth? He had become such a huge figure in the psychedelic community that he decided to continue giving his audience what they wanted to hear. After all, it paid the bills.

Keep an eye out for Dennis McKenna's "Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss." Most people have the completely incorrect view of Terence, as evidenced by this very thread. I think what his brother will show with his book will help to correct that.

16. He was relating the experience of mushrooms, and still believed in their power and natural authenticity. He just settled into different drugs. The guy was a scientist poet - able to philosophically analyze broad social themes, history, nature, science, religion etc.

17. He said on several different occasions after '88 that he was still taking mushrooms.

His brother also says that Terence only did other psychedelics on very, very rare occasions after '88, because he had so much fear and trepidation concerning them. Yet, anybody listening to any of his post-'88 talks cannot come away from those talks believing that Terence was only a once-in-a-blue-moon dabbler.

Again, Terence was a storyteller. I love the dude and have listened to everything of his that is available in the public domain, but so many people have such an exalted view of the dude that is completely wrong when you actually take the time to get to know him.

18. Just out of curiosity...I have no idea...any possibility Terence's brother is either wrong or lying about Terence's psychedelic experience post-88? Not saying it's true, just wondering about the possibility...not sure the motive or anything...