Tent temp control.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WDIK, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Your overthinking the temps way to much bro. Do you have a small ocsilating fan in the tent stirring up the air?

No fan currently in the tent.  Will put one in when the plants get a little older.

3. The sooner you get one in there, the better. It will stir all that air up so you don't have all the different temps. The moving air blowing across the seedling will also helps strengthen the stem.

4. Pretty much ready to say eff it, and just let things go the way they are.  I have put way too much thought and time into it.

People grow these plants in cupboards, pc boxes, rubbermaid bins, etc. with only a couple bulbs.  No reason I can't grow a few in a tent.

5. You will end up putting a lot more thought and time into it too. Don't give up yet. I started growing back in august, have had some issues and am just barely getting everything dialed in. It takes time. You can totally grow in your tent, environment conditions are really important though. Your cfl's will get you through a grow, just don't expect high yields and super dense buds. No experience flowering with them , that's just what I read.

6. #26 TinTizzy, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
    they will grow fine into the low 80s so your sitting ok...you'll ether have to blow the cold air in if the negative pressure isnt enough, get a stronger fan, or get an air cooled hood and exhaust the air to a different room...I had a 600w in a 2x3 but it was on its own sealed exhaust and blowing into the basement and then had a 4" sucking the rest of the hot air out blowing it though a filter outside the tent..and yes you should get your night temps up its best to not have more than a 15 degree difference and night is when the plant focuses on root growth in veg so cold soil will slow that

7. #27 WDIK, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014

Thinking for the first few weeks to have the exhaust fan go off when the lights go off to keep some of the heat in after dark.  Not sure if that is such a good idea though.  Any advice?

ETA:  The Super Skunk looks good.  The Northern Lights still hasn't recovered.

8. right now i have my light on 24/7 for the heat...you can shut the exhaust off as long as your humidity is low or you can get powdery mildew

Yea, my humidity does seem to spike in the evening, so that may not be the best idea.

10. It's interesting that my Super Skunk auto is as happy as can be, but the NL auto's have pretty much crashed and burned.  I know different strains may be heartier than others, just thought it was interesting.

I have my remaining Super Skunk seeds in a cup of water right now.  They will go in the dirt tomorrow and will be a week behind their sister.

11. A very small space heater has increased the lights off temp by about 12 degrees to 64F.  The heater is on it's own timer and turns on 15 minutes after lights out, and turns off 15 minutes before lights on.  

Opening up the passive intake a little more has dropped the lights on temp to about 77F.

Hopefully I can stop messing with it now.

12. There are pretty cheap heaters that have temp control. I had problems when I tried a heater on a timer and it always got way to hot. IME anyway

13. #33 WDIK, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014

Size was an issue.  3 plants on 3 milk crates working with a floorspace of 2'x4' doesn't leave a lot of extra room without the heater being too close to something.

The heater I have is pretty low wattage with overheat protection and only runs for 4.5 hours at a time.

14. Now just have to deal with low humidity.  My humidity readings with lights on are about 15%.

As always, I have a plan.  It may not be the best plan, but it is still a plan.  :)

15. #35 WDIK, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
    Haha.  My never ending tent temp control thread.  :)

My $25 100 CFM inline booster fan wasn't cutting it.  Running wide open the temps were getting into the mid to upper 80s.

I bit the bullet and got a real exhaust fan.  Temps now sitting at a comfy 75 with only running that fan at about 1/3 speed.  Should give me plenty of adjustment for the warmer months ahead.

Just wanted to pass the info along.