Tent exhaust?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Purpleface, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I Have a 55x55x79 tent(136 cubic feet) with a 1000 watt hps, could I use a 4" fan 170cfm with a carbon filter to exhaust this sufficiently?

2. #2 gwam333, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    After the filter that would pull near 100 cfm flat. That will be enough to exhaust your tent about every 75-80 seconds which is fine. But you better have another fan to cool that 1000w.

3. [quote name='"gwam333"']After the filter that would pull near 100 cfm flat. That will be enough to exhaust your tent about every 75-80 seconds which is fine. But you better have another fan to cool that 1000w.[/quote]

I'll probably have a clip on fan somewhere in there as well. would putting a 6" inch with a carbon filter be worth it to help with cooling it down?

I also have a really noob question, what are all the extra holes for on my tent for? I have 4+ holes on this thing can I plug the rest up?

4. #4 gwam333, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
    I think you're going to end up running 2 fans to cool properly. I'm planning on running 1000w in a 4x4x7 tent and everyone tells me I'll struggle with temps with my 6in fan pushing 180 cfm after the filter.

The extra vents are for drawing air into your fan and blowing it directly across your cool tube and straight out the other side. Just makes cooling your light independent from your filter/exhaust. If you don't plan on using them plug them up as long as you have another form of intake that gives good negative pressure.

5. I could use a 6" 424 cfm with a carbon filter and another 6" on the inside? Our tents are pretty similar, are you forcing you exhaust outside a window or something?

6. The ambient room my tent is in is over 500 sq ft so luckily I don't have to worry about that.

7. [quote name='"gwam333"']The ambient room my tent is in is over 500 sq ft so luckily I don't have to worry about that.[/quote]

In what sized ambient room would I have to send my exhaust outside then?

8. That all depends. Here's a useful formula for you to use to estimate what cfm fan you need based on light wattage and ambient room temp.

Cfm= (3.16 x light wattage)/(max temp you will allow in your tent-ambient temp of the room your tent is in)

So for me, 1000w light, ambient temp of 65, max temp 75.

Cfm= 3160/10= 316