Tennessee - Medical Marijuana up for vote again!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by masterh, Mar 12, 2009.

1. For those of us in Tennessee, the House and Senate are voting on bills to allow the possession of medical marijuana (up to 8 ounces.) PLEASE write to your senators and representatives - here's a handy link!

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=12671336

The only problem is this: the Tennessee Medical Association has recommended against the use of medical marijuana. Why? Because the American Medical Association says that they still need more studies.

Go figure. As I'm not a lobbyist, I'm not sure how to convince the AMA that they're behind the times. Please, Tennessee constituents - write your congressmen!

2. Done and done. Thanks for the headsup, I was hoping I would see a TN mmj bill soon.

3. I sent it too.

4. why cant the government accept the fact that potheads are going to be potheads no matter if its legal or illegal.....though smoking in public would be siiiiiiiiiiick

5. This is exciting news. I believe TN will lead to a southern domino effect for MMJ. MS, AL, GA, AR, KY, NC, VA naturally HAVE to come next since more of their citizens will go to TN to get prescriptions.

I'm in MS or I'd help pass it. Fight on, brothers.

6. I got a reply back.

Sometimes I hate politicians.

7. I got nearly the same reply from Senator Douglas Henry. At first, I was angry. That's when I wrote to the TMA to ask them why they opposed Medical Marijuana, and they said because they take the same stand as the AMA.
    And then I felt better. Here's why:

(1) I didn't get a chain letter. I got a honest to goodness response with an explanation, and it isn't a bad one, either. No, the senator isn't a medical expert. He depends on medical association recommendations, and for the most part, that's a good thing. That's a sensible thing, at the very least.
    (2) The AMA - and most modern medical providers - are not against medical marijuana. They just think there aren't enough studies. And now that the federal government is taking a step back from their hard-line stance on drugs - and marijuana is fast becoming part of Americana (see California, et al) - there will be studies. Doubtlessly. Medicine goes where the money is, and there is big money in marijuana. BIG money. The states are beginning to pay attention.
    (3) Douglas Henry is an 83 year old senator. Face it - he's last generation, and he doesn't want to end his career and his duty to the public by recommending marijuana. I mean, the man was in his 40s in the 1960s. He's part of a different culture, and the very fact he sent a personal, kind email back that says sorry, I understand, but I can't take that step really says a lot.

My two cents, at least. Reform is coming; probably not this year, probably not next. But it is coming.

8. Well e-mail his ass some facts.:D:D:wave::smoking:

9. If you live in Tennessee there is no reason for you to not email your representative!! I just did and you should too!!

10. Way to go TN smokers, I'm in knoxville and I just sent the email as well. Keep on tokin:smoke:

11. i hope this passes asap so my grandma can smoke some weed and stop gettin nausea's from her fuckin chemo ( i swear yo cancer is from all that shit making that cows fatter for more streak and chickens more eggs)

i know we all have cancer in our bodys but i think this is the culprit, and fast food really helping because of there fake food

now both sides of my family have been fucked with cancer, and it sucks cuz i know its comin for me its just a matter of time :rolleyes:

12. Thank you for this link and information.

Maybe we should all post this in our various "social networking" blogs, comments, bulletins, walls, etc.

13. Done!! Thank You for the information.. I live in TN. what is a link I can go to that will allow me to see the date/times a bill is to be discussed or voted on?
    Bb

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5gngBZIwL0"]YouTube - Recreational & Medical Marijuana[/ame]

14. I'm not sure to find out when the bill will be discussed / voted on, but if you go here:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/

and enter in SB 209 / HB 368 in the "Find Legislation" box, you'll be able to see actions taken on the bills, view the actual bills, and contact the authors.

It says both have been assigned to the "Public Health and Family Assistance of HHR" subcommittee. Guys, you can contact them here:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/committees/sub-phfa.html

I strongly urge everyone to write them and kindly send them proper medical information. These guys will be the ones making the recommendations.

15. Thank You for the information, Sending letters as we speak

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5gngBZIwL0"]YouTube - Recreational & Medical Marijuana[/ame]

16. err what about TX and OK or NM? were as south as it gets

17. Where to start? :confused:

1) Run a search and get the emails, addresses and phone # of your state's politicians. You will find MANY sites with all that info, so look at a few and find one you like. THEN BOOK MARK IT!

2) Use the above book mark every weekend. Politely hassling your politicians keeps them on their toes. :D

3) Click the link below for those scientific medical studies to send to your politicians and doctors. I have enough that you could send one a day for several months! It would take all of two minutes to do. "Dear_______ Please read this study. (copy and paste study) Thank you, sign, and send. DONE!

4) Educate yourself. There are few things worse than an "expert" who knows misinformation.

Granny :wave:

18. Thanks a lot for writing, everyone - keep sending messages! Fingers crossed they'll get the message!

19. when are they voting on it?