Tempting backyard pot garden leads to shooting in Fresno

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Tempting backyard pot garden leads to shooting in Fresno
    SacBee / AP / 09,09,2010

FRESNO -- Police say a huge marijuana crop in a Fresno backyard with plants reaching 10 feet high was apparently irresistible to a man critically wounded while trying to steal a personal stash. The 40-year-old man was shot Wednesday morning at the home across the street from Roeding Park. He's in critical condition at Community Regional Medical Center.

The Fresno Bee says 47-year-old Phayvanh Dydouangphan, who lives in the home where the pot crop is tended and has a medical marijuana card, is being questioned by police but he still hadn't been charged late Wednesday. It's unclear if the pot is a legal medical marijuana grow.

The 3,750-square-foot marijuana garden is is easily seen from the street.

This is going to be a problem for all outdoor growers,keeping their grows private.
    It is either going to take 10 ft privacy fences,which more or less announces a grow,or it will require larger grow areas so that people can grow more smaller plants to be able to grow enough every year for personal consumption. Or they can hire Calvina Fay as gardener,since she can get 240,000 joints out of 25 sq ft.

2. lol at Fay. Just read that on a different thread. Im like, huh?

Man got what was coming to him. Now if only the same force can be applied to the govt stealing weed.

3. The man accused of shooting a man, who was allegedly stealing marijuana from his yard, will face criminal charges.

On Friday, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer announced plans to charge 47-year-old Phayvanh Dydouangphan with assault of a deadly weapon.

Police say that Dydouangphan was awoken Wednesday morning by his dogs barking at his home on West Belmont, across from Roeding Park. When Dydouangphan went outside, he saw 5 people attempting to steal marijuana plants from his backyard.

Dydouangphan is said to have grabbed his shot gun, and shot at the bunch to get them to leave. The group hopped in their truck, and as they were driving out, Dydouangphan fired another shot hitting the victim in the head.

The victim remains in critical condition and is not expected to survive. Should he die, Dydouangphan will also face murder charges.

Police say Dydouangphan had 188 plants growing in his backyard, all of which were legal since the home's four occupants were operating a medical marijuana collective.

Dyer says that despite the fact that this was legal, it can still be dangerous. The Police Chief says that in the past week officers have been called out to 3 incidents where violence was connected with a marijuana grow.

"Obviously what we are facing here in Fresno is the beginning of something that can be very very bad and very very dangerous for our city," Dyer said.

4. So the SWAT team can snipe an unarmed man sitting on the toilet and get a trial the next week and get acquited in 45 minutes. But a man in his castle cannot defend what is his?

Really, he shouldn't have shot while they were running away, but, I bet in Texas all would be well.

I blame prohibition and the govt first, the robber second and the shooter last. Really, if the good ole boy on the swat team can do as he pleases and not even get put on leave, this guy should get a gold medal. Fair is fair, right?

5. Yeah this I don't understand. 5 people? That's called a home invasion, and I would have hoped to get more round off at those people. In Texas, if cannabis were 'legal' there would be no dispute as to who is in the right here...

But seriously, I'm tired of people facing charges for defending their property. WTF is this??

6. Legalize it

7. Foolish of him to clip the guy as they were fleeing.

Of course, being in the moment and seeing not just one but 5 men in his backyard thieving his medical gardens, I personally can't blame him for squeezing off an extra shell. That is indeed home invasion.

Still very sad a life will be lost over marijuana. Get ready for baaaaaad publicity.

8. If you have an Mf'ing pot GARDEN that is clearly VISIBLE from the street then you can expect someone to hop the fence and try to snag some for himself every once and a while.

The fact this guy shoots someone who was clearly not armed or a threat is a pussy move. He should be thrown in jail for being a dueche and a pansy.

9. thats what happens when you try to steal a mans crop. fuckin thieves.

10. no NasaJoe. rippers should die. sorry... but i don't care.

11. I would've just sicked the dogs on um or tazed them hahah I would never shoot someone for trying to take something that can grow back.

12. Someone deserves to die because he was stealing weed? This is the attitude that gives stoners such a bad rep.

Im all for home defense but you cant shoot someone unless there obviously trying to harm you.

13. If you have one of those 1000 fps pellet guns and you use the pointed hunting pellets,you can hang pellets in their ass and change their mind pretty effectivly. It will penetrate and it will have to be removed,probably by a surgeon or one of their buds and will mark them for easy ID later on. Of course you still need the .270 deer rifle as back up just in case they want to play gangster and break bad,then just target their head and watch it vaporize.
    I would hope that my reputation as a peace loving suppressed redneck would remain intact because I am willing to shoot intruders on my property. Pot be damned. I don't trespass and expect the same respect,,,,,no,demand the same respect.

14. I'm pretty torn on this issue. On one hand, I think a man has a right to protect what is on his property from thieves and burglars. On the other hand, I believe he could have protected his crops without firing; simply displaying his gun should have been enough. Of course, I suppose it would be a wise decision to assume the thieves were armed...

If it was easy to see his crops I'm kind of lead to believe he wanted someone to steal his stash. I mean, he didn't honestly think he could show off that much pot and not expect trouble, did he?