Temps a little high in tent with led

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by B A M B I, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Hi all, recently got myself a spider farmer sf2000 200w led dimmable.

Its reccormended to run the light at 90-100% power in flower and at 70% my tents hitting 28degrees.

Would i benefit from a bigger carbon filter and rvk? Using passive intake. Ive been looking at upgrading to a AC Infinity cloudline 6"... or would this be too much power even on the lowest setting for the tent?
    My specs are as follows.

I dont have any ducting apart from what leaves the rvk to go out the top of the tent... the carbon filter is mylar taped directly to the rvk then ducting out the tent. Isnt really much bend in the ducting.

(Only 2 passive intakes are open not the third as i cant get to the back of the tent as its near a wall so only the side flaps are open)

120x60x180cm tent
    4inch rhino pro and 4inch ram rvk.
    Passive intake.
    2 ram fans (blowing the air flow around to prevent mold)
    Dehumidifier. (Inside the tent only small)
    Spider farmer sf2000 grow light dimmable QB.

Upgrading to 6inch ac infinity be better or overkill? As i know i cant get a 5 inch one but these fans live up to there advertisement of been silent outside the grow room

Thanks all, currently running at 70perecent power on the light in flowering but we all know more light penertration is better quality product.

Only reason the tent is getting so hot is because the ballast is strapped to the top of the quantum board and cant be removed without resoldering which i dont want to do as it will void warranty... ive lifted to light to be at the side of the carbon filter and its sucking the hot air in from the ballast on the light but still sitting pretty high in temps.

2. 82 sorry lol 28 isn't too hot for led, its about maximum temp youd want. Imo 200 watts shouldnt be getting that hot. Need more air flow.

If you're not also try running lights at night and blacking out grow room to block heat from sun

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Under the light does not actually feel that hot. Its just the ballast attached to the quantium board, what making more heat in the tent and making it uncontrollable at 100percent power it goes to around 32 on max power.

Ill open up the other passive intake on the back of the tent. And if its still high on max light output buy a 6inch rvk? As my 4inch has two speeds and its running at maximum. Ta

4. #4 GroBuddy, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Like more fans. Not more passive air, I like having a fan in front of intake vent, since ground air is cooler. With a couple pole fans, to hanging one with pulley hangers.

6sqft I'd probably have 2 pole fans 1 for seedlings another when they get bigger in veg. Start with one for seedlings then 2 blowing tops around. Then I'd have a couple hanging or more pole fans one in the middle of plants canopy like under main growth but above pot and one above light. Only thing is with 6sqft space is limited, why I would go with pole fans. I dont run a oscillating floor fan in my 3x3 or 3x4

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. I get ya, so upgrade a third fan and put it on the floor to blow the cool air upwards from the passive intake, also shouldnt the rvk be an issue then? Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. This will help you find what you need. Ventilation 101 - How to Ventilate Your Grow Space

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rvk?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I currently have 2 photoperiods in veg about half way as im mainlining them and a flowering autoflower whats currently in flush right now and by rvk i mean outline fan pulling the air through the filter as its a 4inch, ill add some more fans in the room near the passive intake as you suggested, if it does not lower temps enougg should i get a bigger inch "rvk" from ac infinity. One of these they do 4inch with 8 speeds, which my filter currently is. Or i can updade to the 6inch.

Link to what i mean below for the rvk

As my current one is a crappy two speed 4inch ram one which is loud.

9. I read the ac infinity tutorial when browsing for the rvk some time ago. Everything seems to be in order, i just want temps down a little but as i said ill add some fans near passive intake as you sugested. Im struggling for room in there as it is though :(

Apparenly temps in the middle of the tent (height) are 29.

But the bottom is 31 what :'l

10. Had to look it up I've never heard inline/duct fans referred to as rvk. Apologies 4 inch in a 6sqft grow space will be efficient. With heat being a issue you could run a 6. I do in a 3x3 which is 9sqft of space. But that's excessive I dont run it over 4 has 10 speeds. If heat remains a issue and you dont want a ac unit may have to extract air outside of room I dont but some do

11. Heres my set up as i said i couldnt open the back passive intake as its against a wall and its heavy:(

Ive lowered one side of the fans now to be closer to the passive intake and the other angling slighly upwards towards the fan to extract heat from the fan and blow it away. And ac unit? By looks of things i dont have room:(

Attached Files:

12. Idk bud it gets 48°C here I dont run all those vents open usually just one. More wattage bigger tent but same wattage per sqft. Need to trap cool air in that room idk. My house is set to 23°c since it gets so hot outside still dont get over 26°c

540 watts in a 4x4 cant consider my 3x3 as I use florescent doesn't put off same heat

13. Some days it gets hot outside. And my house remains cool, some days the tent will be around 27 and some days abit warmer... ill probably flush the auto and chop it then go from there get some more fans & maybe a 6inch. or an ac unit for the room, or maybe even move it to a different room in the house. Im puzzled, getting a bigger ac fan is only thing i can think of to drop the temps in such a small grow space, as its moving more air/heat per minute...

14. Looks like your prefilter is a bit dirty. Dirty prefilters will drastically reduce the efficiency of your exhaust fan. Just as a test, take that prefilter off and turn that exhaust to it's highest setting, close one of your intakes by the floor so you just have one down there open, What you should be seeing is your tent walls being sucked in (negative pressure), if you see that, wash your prefilter and reinstall. If you don't see the walls being sucked in, chances are your exhaust system may be pulling air in from places you don't want it to be. A 4 in exhaust that can move 140 CFM is more than enough for that tent.