Temporary Walls?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Sparky73, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I searched the threads, but couldn't find much on these. I will be renting a house in the next few months, and am going to find one with a basement. I would like to build a temporary wall to section off a space for growing, and I have some questions about it.

First off, I will not be looking for a place until around January or February, but want to do as much research as I can now because I probably won't have internet as often when I move out. I am wondering, with renting a house.. does the landlord ever come over to inspect anything, or would I be safe putting up a fake wall? If they seen it, they would know something is up, but any of my friends or family wouldn't know.

I only want to grow enough for my girlfriend and I, but I figured having a hidden "room" is safer then a grow cabinet. Either way, they would probably cost about the same too. I am thinking I will need an area around 3-4' x 5-6'. This would give me space to have flowering, vegging, and maybe a portion if I get into cloning. Remember, I only need to get around 2 ounces per harvest, so it shouldn't be hard.

Are there any pictures or posts on the site like this? I would probably frame in an area for a small door, and just have a bookcase or something in front of it that can be easier moved out of the way.

2. best off not building a wall unless you have landlords that live in another state. For only 2zips per harvest you should be looking into building a stealth grow box that can be disguised as a storage cabinet with rubbermaid tubs stacked on top of it, in front of it and make the back of it virtually impossible to get to without moving a ton of shit or at least make it this way when the landlord comes. Landlords have to give you at least 24hrs notice, maybe more depending on your state regulations, search a rental guide for your state and city if possible. Keep the cab in a spot that the lanlord will not likely ever have to go, mainly away from the breaker box, appliances, bathrooms, you get the idea. A bedroom is usually the last place a landlord will have to go, providing the attic entry point is not in that room. To minimize landlord visits learn how to do general fixes to shit that normally breaks like dishwasher dryer washer AC and such, minor plumbing and electrical repair. When looking for a house, look for appliances that are newer so they will be more reliable, this includes the water heater.

Follow those tips and you should be good. Best case scenario.....

Landlord lives far away (the further the better)
    Cab grow in room, stealth, far away from the major appliances and attic entry points.
    You know how to do most home fixes yourself or have reliable friends (that do not have to know about your grow) that know how to fix shit.
    Up to date appliances.

This should almost get stickied as a guide to small rental property grows. Just came to me as I wrote.:smoke: Who said weed makes you dumb?:confused:

3. Fucking thank you man lol. +Rep for sure.

I am pretty handy with everything. I've grown up wanting to learn to fix things, and I'm a hands on person.. so I can definitely keep most maintenance up myself if it keeps my grow that much safer.

I'm all about being stealth, and even with a larger grow, I was still trying to achieve that with the temp walls. I would like to get more than 2, but that is our minimum. I told my girl that I want us to have enough, so if we feel like making baked goods or just smoking a lot, we don't have to feel like we're wasting it lol. Me and her together go through about an ounce a month, but this is with mids. Eventually we plan to grow strains so I know we won't go through as much.

Anyway, I know the basics.. where not to put things. It will help a lot when I actually do find a place, because maybe there will be a closet or something that's perfect size. I just like the idea of doing it in a basement so the temps are easier to control. My grows always have heat problems now.

For what reason WOULD the landlord come over, other than to repair something? Can you come right out and ask where they live? lol

4. I suppose you could ask in passing where they live, just be tactful and make it come up in general conversation, not a direct thing that is on your list of shit to ask.

Reasons why they stop by..... If it is a house they plan to sell and are fixing up, they will be there on the regular, alot of home owners of rental property will do this, make sure it is not your place. Other than repairs and maintenance I can not think of a good reason to stop by.

5. Hi, I know what you want to find.
    You better see my site to get the information that you really searching.
    ^_^

6. Growing in a rented space is risky. The farther away the owner lives the more likely he has hired a local property manager. Some landlords never come by, some come by all the time. When I owned a rental property I was there at least once every couple of months, to fix a problem or to take care of changing HVAC filters or to spray for bugs or whatever.

7. I've tried this movable partition wall. Panel frames of these movable partition wall are made of standard construction grade aluminum alloy. Surface panels are available in 12mm thick MDF board, particle board, gypsum board.