Temp issues. 4×4 tent 1000w hps

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by peezy813, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Ok so I set up a new grow. Seeds are germinating as we speak.

I got the tent and ventilation all set up and have been running it empty to test me temps. Turns out it is as I worried. Running my 1000w hps seems to be keeping my temps at between 88-90° I do have it set up to pull through my carbon filter then through my light and out into attic space.

I was thinking about adding another fan to just cool the hood and run my carbon filter on its own. Will this be enough to drop temps significantly? Tent is in an air conditioned part of the house but I live in a very hot climate and outside temps reach 90° + daily. Meaning at worst the room itself gets up to 79° ambient out side of the tent as the a.c. in this house is done terribly and just can't keep up with the heat outside. This is a rental so I can't really do anything about that.

Just looking for some advice on getting the temps down in the tent. Thanks in advance 1537141656315.jpg 1537141703956.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Ya, you need more air exchange. I would add an inline fan to either the upstream side of the light to help the system suck more air out (thus bring more air in) or put an inline fan on one of your large exterior vent holes to introduce positive pressure, which while help your scrubber and light cooler to move more air, thus introducing more cold air from outside the tent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. So you're saying add it to the exhaust side off my hood to help pull through the hood and push out rather than running them separately?

• Like Like x 1
  4. this is the problem.....
    you are only getting a 10 deg rise from ambient, that is pretty dang good for a 1000w HPS in a tent.!!
    you need a window A/C unit to cool the room the tent is in down to 65-68 deg fer.!
    also gonna need another oscillating tower fan, place them in opposite corners.

don't see a thermometer in the pics, where are you checking temps at (side, center, top, bottom)??
    how far from the light is the thermometer.?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. What size fan, forget that , get 8” exhaust, clip fans, fan’s, one at each corner, and oscillating fan, open every vent, aim a box fan, toward tent to input more air, [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not sure if it matter very much where you put additional inline fans to increase the amount of air exchange in the tent, you just need more of that cooler outside air coming in, through, then out of the tent. I run two 400 cfm fans to keep my 5x5 tent cool in the summer, and I'm using an old style ~740w LED. Personally I'd buy a cheaper 400 cfm inline fan to see how that changes the temps and if it's nowhere near where you want it to be, go the AC route.

I think you're pushing it with 1000w in a 4x4 so you may have to go to extraordinary measures...such as AC.

7. Put two box fans blowing air in the tent at the bottom tent vents.

Voila

• Like Like x 2
  8. That's kind of what I figured I just was hoping to not drop a ton more money. I've being measuring temps around the middle of the tent but I have a temp and RH monitor coming today to mount, and also gonna try changing the ducting today and see if that helps at all. Luckily my ballast is dimmable down to 600 and that keeps temps around 85 and I can even leave the tent open for now while the ladies are starting to let more cool air in so I at least have a little time to get it figured out. I will post again after the changes. Only thing I'm worried about with a window unit is smell leakage.

9. I can give it a shot. The thing is I already have loads of negative pressure in the tent even with all the vents open. It's sucking in outside air pretty damn good. I tried adding another 340 cfm fan blowing air into the tent which then gave me positive pressure and still didn't help temps so I don't think more fans in that sense will help. If I have to I'll get an a.c. but I'm trying my best to avoid it

10. Seedlings are especially susceptible to heat stress. My first (indoor) grow was during a heat wave. I had 90-100° in my small stealth tent for 2 months straight. The plants eventually turned out fine.

If your area is always hot though, you could save all the extra electricity (more fans, blower on high, Air conditioning, more money), by selling the HPS and investing in some quality LED'S. The initial cost makes up for the rest.

You'll never have heat issues again and you'll save a boat load on energy costs

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Exgrunt is correct, 1 word Horticultural Lighting Group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I swapped my HPS for qbs about a month ago. Temps are only 1.2-1.8 above the adjacent room temps

13. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I broke down and went and got a little window shaker. Got it installed and all sealed up with from board and caulk so nothing gets in or out. Lights will come back on at 5pm and I will start checking temps and let everyone know how it's going.

Three beans have sprouted outta 4 and I'm ready to get started! 1537469124625.jpg

14. HELL YEAH.!!!!

hope the little window unit works for you.!

if it is not enough, next summer put the 5k in the bedroom and put a 12k in the grow room.!!
    i have a 12k in a 16' x 28' garage (3m x 9m) for my stealth box and it runs 12-16 hrs a day when it is really hot.
    my ambient room temp is 67-71 deg fer (20-22c), the difference between the a/c running and not running,
    my grow box is 81 max (27 C), but i swapped to LED's.

15. Thanks man! I'm stoked.

I've done some testing tonight and dimming down to 750W on the light I'm maintaing 79 f. Bumping it up to the full 1000w I'm holding at about 83 f

This being my first substantial grow I have no idea if 83 is to hot or not. I got my pineapple express auto seeds from Fastbuds and it does say that colder temp will yield better but I'm not sure if running at 750w at 79f will yield me more than 1000w at 83f. Guess I will just have to see how it goes.

For now while the ladies are small I think I'm gonna leave it at 750 and then try bumping it up after a couple weeks.

Again thanks for all the support everyone!

16. start at 600w for a few weeks, then move up to 750 for a few, crank it up when the tent starts to get full.

it will start to get cooler by the time they start to flower, maybe the tent temps will be even better then.!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not sure if seedling #3 is gonna make it. When it sprouted it still had the seed shell stuck around the top and didn't look very good so I shook the seed off but the little starter leaves went with it and now it hasn't really grown at all in 2 days. Not sure if I should just pull it and start a new one or not. My last seedling is about to sprout and I want to keep them all relatively close to the same age. Thoughts? The other 2 sprouted Monday and #3 was on Wednesday 20180922_093946.jpg 20180922_093959.jpg 20180922_094015.jpg

18. it is done, the starter leaves are what drives the beginning growth.

19. I figured. My stupidity and screwing with it got the best of me. Already got another germinating, the last one on took about 24 hrs to sprout so hopefully I can throw it in the soil tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  20. next time just be WAY more careful getting the seed/paper off and it'll spread its leaves and grow.!