Temp. help for closet grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SmokinSourD, Jul 28, 2011.

1. so a friend and i have a closet grow going on and the temps are too hot we are using a 120watt blue plant light and a 60 watt clear normal house light not soft white.. the temp is around 85 right now and thats pretty cool it usually is a little higher i was wondering what lights would be best so that they dont cause too much heat we have a fan in there but cant really make an exhaust or intake because its in a closet.

2. CFL's here are some good options

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLC0125D-Fluorescent-Light-System/dp/B0006HRQTK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311881407&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Hydrofarm FLC0125D Fluorescent Grow Light System: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Fluorescent-Light-System-Guard/dp/B001UV6P9I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1311881407&sr=8-10[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Compact-Fluorescent-Daylight-listed/dp/B001MDOWPI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1311881407&sr=8-13[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLCO200D-Complete-Fluorescent-Day-Spectrum/dp/B004JXXLFA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1311881407&sr=8-14]Amazon.com: Hydrofarm FLCO200D Complete Fluorescent Grow Light System with 200-Watt Day-Spectrum Tube: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

3. Those plant lights are very shitty for growing mj (85% sure)
    and that normal houselight isn't doing shit exept for adding a lot of excess heat. Go buy some cfls. The ideal temp you want is 75 and no higher than 85

4. Hi..

I agree with the previous posters... dump the lights that you have and get CFL (in the correct color range) with reflectors. You temps will go down and the quality will go up!

Check out Kamel's CFL stickie located here for more information regarding CFLs.

Good Luck!

5. go with the cfl's and try to make a vent on the top so the hot air can escape

6. Could you put a bathroom fan/vent in the closet and vent it into the space above the closet?

7. just put any kind of fan on it.. no need for fancy holes if you cant do it. any air flow is better than none.
    and ill agree with everyone, Im using cfls and have already had a successful harvest with one plant.
    good luck!

8. im going to go get cfls in an hour or so what watts do you recommend? and how many should i get i only have 2 plants for now so 200 watts is what i would imagine and how close should i put it to the plant

we now have the closet door opened with a fan blowing out of it but the lights still
    produce too much heat

9. im going to home depot lowes or walmart not sure where yet but i have like 65 to spend what is recommended for nutes and everythig my plants are in 3 parts miracle grow potting mix and 1 part sphagnum peat moss enriched with miracle gro plant food in 4 quart pots ph levels are good.

10. get whatever biggest CFLs they have, and 100 watts per plant is pretty good. check out this dudes guide to cfls. really good ideas in here. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html
    Dunno bout nutes.. i just kinda wing it with mg tomato food once in a while.. and they seem to be doin good. lol. i know, not the smartest idea but whatever.

11. Home depot sells blood and bone meal which are good to mix into the soil for added nutes. Avoid time released nutes in the soil. Miracle grow organic soil is fine. Any organic tomato plant food is also fine. MG tomato plant food is okay as well. FF makes a good trio of nutes and I've found some for about $40 for all 3 which is a great price and a great line. You can also go organic and make your own brews

12. the best lights i can find are huge 68 watt lights that are like 6 inches they are cfl do other people use these lol

13. Yeah man, get the biggest you can lol. i'd probably be using those if i had the cash for em.

14. i decided id go with eight 27 watt lights because they were the only daylight cfls i could find and my plants are veg. right now. so im about to put 4 on each plant in. 8.5 inch clamp lights. thanks for all the advice. i will prolly get a bunch of those huges ones for flowering as they were the soft whites haha

15. #15 KB Grower, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Nice. You can also use a couple of those blue ones in flower too. Do you have to fem seeds or some bagseeds? If they're bagseeds im sending some good vibes for them to both be female. Good luck man.
    also for nutes I've personally have tried general hydroponics flora series and they work great. But if you can spend the extra money I think a lot of people will recomend the fox farm trio (tiger bloom big bloom etc.

The only downside to those lower watt cfls is its quite a bitch to have all those lights and cords.

16. thank you they are some bagseed from some pretty decent bud it had nice orange hairs was light green and some was purple but nothing crazy. im deff gonna get the fox farm trio i saw a lot of people recommending them in the forums.
    but yeah there are mad wires but its not that bad honestly i am going to put pics up in my grow journal that i started

17. I think Amazon had the trio for like $38 which is great because the hydroponic stores charge $50ish. Also, a buddy showed me some HPS for cheap online. I found a 150watt self ballasted one for $96 with shipping included. I haven't received it yet. I'm all CFL right now and the reason I want to try HPS is because I'd need less lights. I'm going to use a few CFLs to get more of the spectrum of light but it'll be nice to not have so many wires around. They are annoying when you have to adjust heights.