Temp Control/Exhaust help please

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Chronic Penguin, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Hey all,

So I am currently seeking a solution that will both regulate temperature inside my grow room and promote constant and proper air flow. Right now all I have is a small PC fan to blow directly on the plant (first time grower, only doing one plant for now). My box dimensions are 4x4x2 ft. Which gives 32 cubic feet. According to a formula I found on this site, I calculate that I need roughly only 6-7 cfm which I'm sure my standard PC fans can handle.

So my idea is this. I want to have the one PC fan blowing directly on the plant for circulation purposes. Also, I'd like to have a passive intake hole near the bottom of the box paired up with another, stronger PC fan near the top of the box for ventilation purposes. Next comes the issue of temperature regulation. To this end, I have already wired up a circuit which will monitor the temp and it can turn on another fan when temp gets too high (not really concerned about temps getting too low as it is summer and temps will be high). I was thinking about setting some dry ice in a cooler just outside the box and have a tube of some sort going into the bottom of the box and have my temp regulation device turn on a fan attached to this hose to bring in cool air from the dry ice cooler until the temp falls back down.

Does this sound like a feasible setup? Too much with the temp control + exhaust? Would exhaust be enough you guys think? So far the hottest the box has been has been about 85 degrees. But I'm thinking it's going to get a lot hotter and I'd like to maintain it at or below 80-ish.

Any ideas or input would be really appreciated! Thanks

2. 85 is getting up there, for a flowering plant. Play with the exhaust fan. That will have the most effect on cooling. The dry ice idea sounds good but kind of high maintenance. What's the ambient temp outside the box?

3. it is in an outdoor shed/shack so the ambient temp fluctuates. Lately it's been anywhere from 65-70 up to near 80. The day it was 85 in my box it was 90+ outside.

I think I'm just going to go with the passive intake and exhaust fan for now. I'll monitor the temps closely and hopefully that will be good enough. I can always try the ice/cooler idea when the real hot days roll around (if need be). So that and setting up a few more lights will be tonight's project it seems...