Temp at 103 please helllppp!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Guy09274, Jul 20, 2010.

1. OK so i just finished rubbermaid stealth box last night. dimensions are 15"Wx22"Lx32"H. Lined inside with an auto shade (one of those things you put in your windshield of your car to keep temp down). I have 4 26w daylight CLFs (100w equivalent). two 80mm exhaust fans (the box says they each do 31.65 cfm). and one 120mm fan sitting inside box (does 40 cfm). Box has passive intake. weather stripped lids. And now im at 103 degrees F and have no effing idea to to get it to come down. Will someone please give me suggestions. can take pics if it will help. Im new to this and have no idea how to fix the problem :confused:

2. Size of intake(s)?

3. An auto shade is used on a car to keep the heat out because the heat is coming from the sun. You're putting an auto shade around your grow and only preventing the heat from escaping.

I'd say that's a good assumption as to why the temp is having a hard time staying down.

4. good effort^

But if you consider where cannabis grows naturally you don't need to get it down too much!

5. If his temperatures are at 103, he's about 30 degrees higher than optimal indoor temperatures. He needs to bring it down quite a bit if he wants the healthiest grow possible.

6. its a rectangular shaped intake. it is 4"x2". Ok now my temp in at 112!!! wtf?!?! im gonna unplug this thing so i dont burn my house down. The temp outside of box is 76.4..........i was thinking it might be the auto shade as well...i was thinking about getting those emergency blankets but was told they do the same thing and keep temp up because they are made with the intention of keeping body heat in right?!

7. Ok here are some pics so you guys can get an idea of what im dealing with.

First pic- the outside of my box. the top two are the 80mm fans and the black thing sticking out of the bottom right is the passive intake(4"x2") glued the two boxes together with liquid nail and weather stripped both lids.

Second pic- inside of box. on top are the two light traps for exhaust. Lined with that auto shade. 4 26W Daylight CFL (1750 lumens each). ReFlector made out of a piece of aluminum air duct.

Third pic- is my 120mm fan (40 cfm) sitting at the bottom of box infront of intake (i know this makes the passive intake not sooo much passive anymore but im at a loss on what to do so it was just a trial and error type of thing but its not doing shit).

Attached Files:

8. Take the auto shade out. It's heating evrything up. So is the aluminum. Line it with Mylar. I also think you need another fan for exhaust. Those cfls heat things up too. They don't stay as cool as everyone says they do.

9. Actually use those emergency blankets. They don't work in emergency situations. They are used for reflecting light in grow boxes. Haha.

10. Totally right! I was really confused when my closet started getting insanely hot.

if you follow some peoples advice on this thread and can get the temperature down to 80-90 (sometimes hitting the 100's) i think you'll be okay, as the first half of my grow was always in the higher 90's and my baby was okay.

good luck to you and i hope you can get the temperature down!

11. Sure they do :)

You'd be surprised how well they work for short periods, having used about 4 while camping in alaska after the temps dropped to -10 on a peak during summer, I can attest!

They're not meant to be used solo, most first aid kits will have 2-4 of them, one for torso/head and one for legs. Also can be used as a rain shelter / signal aide :)

To the OP:

Ditch the computer fan, buy a 6 inch duct fan for 29.99 and that will solve all of your problems, check it out here: High Tech Garden Supply.

12. ya i ended up just saying fuck it and started over. i got the inside of my new boxes lined with this flat white adhesive film that people use to line thier kitchen drawers. i was at lowes yesterday and was looking for one of those duct boosting fans but could find it ANYWHERE. u guys are right those clfs really do produce a good amount of heat. Also i planning on keeping my temp in the 80's. i mean you think about it the plants THRIVE in places close the equator and its hot as hell there!! will post pics soon

13. dude just get some flat white spray paint. like 99 cents a can for the generic shit at walmart. easy cheap effective done. i think after you've removed your that car junk some heat will leave thru the walls and your 2 pc fans should have an easier time keeping things cool.

i think a 6 inch duct fan or booster would be over kill for such a tiny area.

leave the third fan for circulation instead of intake or get a fourth pc fan.

your close man.....just keep tweakin it. and +rep for doing a dry run with no plants and thinking before you just put some beans in the dirt

14. ya heres a pic on the inside of the new box and the cabinet liner i used. and thanks man. i thought it would be best to test the box out before i started the grow. it seems like when ever you do something such as working on a car, atv, running electric wires or making a grow box something always HAS to be wrong before you can get it ALL right. Helps me learn tho.

Attached Files:

15. I don't think its overkill at all, replace the 4 PC fans with one 6 inch duct fan and the problem will be totally solved as long as the intake is sufficient. He can either do that or keep adding PC fans till a whole side is covered.

Sucks you couldn't find it at home depot, they are there for sure at least at mine.

16. Literally i was there for an hour no one knew wtf i was talking about when i said "inline duct booster" so i went up and down every freakin aisle. i saw the same employee about 10 times and im pretty sure by the i was going to leave he was following me bc he thought i was stealing shit or something. :eek:

17. lose the reflector and it'll drop by 5-10 degrees. the heat can't get around it with a passive intake. the way you've set it up it pulls through the intake but your fans aren't strong enough to evacuate the heat built up under the reflector. you could also put a small fan under the reflector to move the heat, but the reflector is holding your heat in. the more air you can get moving in there the cooler it'll stay.