Telling Seeds Apart

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MR Budweiser, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Hey all, I haven't been around here for a while, too busy with work and smoking with friends, just wanted to know the best way, or all the ways, to tell male from female plants, I know how to tell from the dangling pollen balls, but I've heard you can catch them when they're just sprouting, by looking at the number of sprouts out the top, i need confirmation on the whole, 3 sprouts its a male and 2 it's a female.

I also heard you can tell by the tip off the end of the seed, looking at it through a magnifying glass. I heard that if it is straight it's a male, and if it's curled it's a female.

Please confirm these for me so I don't throw out all my fems and grow a crop of pollenating, exhillerating but non-intoxicating male plants.

2. I've never heard of telling a male from a female by the seeds.

It seems like you don't want to waste time waiting so I'll tell you an easy way to tell the females from males. The quickest way to sex is by putting a black piece of air permeable paper over a shoot and leaving it on for 2-3 days...or you could take a clone off each plant and keep the lights at 12/12. For the 2nd suggestion you would need another grow room if you're still in vegging.

3. would black cloth work as well?

4. how does the black clothe/paper method work?

5. yes. you are right !they talked about tell seeds sex on the edge a little while ago ! a company even sold the it to people but is only like 85-90 % right at best and it is done by looking at the so called volcanic end of the seed if the uper ring of the volcanics edge is unbroken and a full circle rised above the the deeper crator its to be a female ,this is what the talk was about in genral but you can find the post on the edge guys if you want! it was great reading any way! good luck tazz11

6. i need to know the address for the edge

7. dude its (http://www.overgrow.com/edge/index.php?...)do a search it should come up ! i well go try to find it for you ! as well ! i know its there dude and yes it is very good reading !sound good ! good luck tazz11

8. dude i type in the search box (sexing seed ,on 2 page two the post is! ( telling a seed's sex by looking...it's possible!) it was posted in the advenced techniques & problems) i hope this helps dude i fould it very interesting my self! good luck tazz11

9. These old debates/discussions ,,still going on today 2002,,Damn exhilerating,,,Grasscity,the internet .. Wonderful now isn't it..

It is possible....maybe probable..

Another debate is,, ,,Whether or not sex can be determined from the direction taproot exits the husk....ie,,bottom(volcanic end),or side(split)..............

I (personally) don't waste the effort, or the stress,on the age old debated(I do enjoy the debates/ideas),,I have found preflowering,, to be very effective for early sexing,,,and cloning to create more,,,and more,and more.......reliable plants.

The 2 or 3 leaf sprout,,,has failed more times than not.....I've seen many trys...

[​IMG]

10. i agree he did not ask me if i thaught it was a sound idea and if i used it ! i dont ! i dont like male seeds ether ! i let god do that! preflowering is by far the best way yet that i know of ! i am trying some test by looking at the crystall poors on the leafs but its just in the early stages ,females have more crystall to their leafs i think these crystalls are their from seedling up and i am trying to understand them to see if they could show the seedlings sex ! but i do agree with you on this one. some things are better left to god ! we as growers can take the time to find the females ,its just the safeist way yet !good luck tazz11