Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Telling parents...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by oFriskyGnome, Apr 7, 2013.

1. I would like to tell my parents that I smoke but they are very close minded... Rather than ask total strangers on the Internet about my personal situation I would like to hear your stories...

Have any of you told (or had them find out) your close minded parents about your weed use?

I just want stories and hope one will be similar to my situation so I can get an idea of how it happens.

Also... I'm 19 and live on my own so I can't get in "trouble" but don't want to upset them too mich

2. Closed mindedpeople tend to have close minded reactions.
    Don't tell them IMHO.
    They might even stop talking to you 'til you "get your life together".
    My mom had an officer charge me when she found a bong of mine and also believes marijuana kills brain cells and leads to harder drugs. She won't listen to reason.
    Even chooses not to read about any studies that disprove the bull she believes.
    Don't confess unless you're willing to accept any and all repercussions.

3. #3 Storm Crow, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    I wouldn't tell them- at least until a few more states legalize! ;)

Then you could "just happen on" this article and show it to Mom . The cancer cells they are talking about are the deadly, aggressive "triple negative" breast cancer cells. (1 in 8 women get breast cancer! :eek: )

Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    Pot compound seen as tool against cancer - SFGate

“When McAllister and Desprez exposed the cells to cannabidiol in a petri dish, the cells not only stopped acting "crazy" but they also started to revert to a normal state… The researchers stressed cannabidiol works only on cancer cells that have these high levels of ID-1 and these do not include all cancerous tumors but, rather, aggressive, metastatic cells. But they've found such high levels in leukemia, colorectal, pancreatic, lung, ovarian, brain and other cancers.”

Cannbidiol won't get you high like THC. In early studies, huge amounts of cannabidiol were injected into volunteers- no high, no nausea, no hair loss, no chemo pain, no nothin'- they could have been injecting saline solution for all the side effects they found! :) Now, we all know what happens in chemo! :( CBD seems like a far better choice!

Could the future of treating ID-1 cancers come down to a few visits to the doctor to get cannabidiol injected directly into the tumor? Could regularly using a "high CBD" cannabis cause that first rogue cancer cell to revert to a normal state? We don't know, but it sure sounds possible! :D

Granny :wave:

4. I only tell people about my blazing if I know they will have a positive or neutral reaction. There's no reason to incite arguments or judgment. I will defend the safety/legalization, etc. to people without disclosing my personal usage.

But, in regards to parents, mine know I smoke regularly and know my siblings do, as well. We blaze at their house when home for holidays but not inside/around them. They're respectful if we are, too. They can see that we live relatively productive lives and are smart, good people. That's what's important to them.

5. My mom caught me, and she was pretty pissed. She was telling me how it's laced with chemicals, and I'm addicted, and that it's different than medical marijuana, and it causes cancer and other shit. So I brought up the fact that she smokes cigarettes and I said "HOWS THAT FOR CANCER AND CHEMICALS?!?!" She didn't know what to say to that. I tried showing her the Union, and other videos/websites, but she just wouldn't even look at them. So she went for a drive to blow off some steam and smoke some cigarettes, and I just went and played xbox. She told me I had to quit and I promised I would. (Obviously I didn't quit, but I feel bad for breaking the promise) She called me into her room later that night before bed, and she told me that I'm still young, and I'm going to make mistakes, and that's why she's here, to guide me away from making bad decisions. She told me she wouldn't have even cared that much, she was mostly just pissed because I lied to her about it. Also when she first caught me she was like "You can't even say it's not effecting you badly, you're getting shitty grades in school, you don't have a job, you quit hockey, and all you do is sit around and play xbox all day" That honestly kind of hurt, but what I think I'm going to do is get a job, pull up my grades, and just tell her I still smoke.

6. why would you tell them? if you live on your own then its reallt not important enough to tell...

7. To let them know about his life

8. This

Only you can finish th

9. I think OP should tell them, you can never have a close relationship with your parents (or anyone else for that matter) if you're hiding such a big part of your life from them, there will always be a void. I think the biggest thing that gets between people telling their parents is the fear of punishment but seeing as OP is independent that risk isn't there. Of course it's up to you and there's always a chance that your parents are so close minded that they'll do something drastic like shut you out of their lives but as Dr. Seuss puts it, "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." I say that if they don't come around eventually then they're not very worthwhile people to have a relationship with anyway.

10. Thankyou for all the input guys... I live in Washington... So it's legal here but not till I'm 21... And I'm getting my card this week...

I mainly want them to know that I do because it's important to me... And my mom has mild depression/anxiety and my dad has multiple sclerosis and insomnia -_-

11. my mom was a weed nazi about it. My dad use to smoke with me all the time. I am moved out and we don't bring up smoking and she probably assumes i don't smoke idk.

I have a career, pay all my own shit, and my mom can't tell when i am high around her.

Breakthrough for me is when my mom said she would vote to get medical in our state this fall. She doesnt like any kind of smoke and sees marijuana being used more in cooking and such.

12. educate them before telling them that. not after. 52% of america is on your side, including 100% of science.

13. even more of a reason not to rub it in their faces. All this is in my opinion is juvenile attention seeking.

If your poor dads got serious health problems, which is what I imagine is exacerbating your mothers mental health issues, simply why would you want to bring more worries and grief to their troubled lives?

Sorry but youre 19, you've moved out, learn to keep some stuff to yourself. You'll probably grow out of it soon anyway

14. We should make a Sticky about these threads....

I see them all the time.

Title it "Should I tell my parents I smoke?"

When you open it, it says, "Log off and come back when you're 18."

But to this guy who is "19,"

If they are closed minded, then don't tell them. Really no point in doing it.

15. My parents wouldn't care but they do since if I ever get in a car accident or somehow ran someone over a test will be taken and if thc is shown YOU will be blamed for the incident. That's what the police offer told me when he drove me home from getting caught sitting in a car. My dad's a cop too. He said the same shit

16. It's not really worth it in my opinion. tell them after you move out and they can't hassle you for it.

17. I don't want to tell my parents but I want them to know. It's weird but I would like to know their reaction. If they kick me out I always have a back up place to live at so I might bring it up soon. Who knows they may be ok with it as long as it doesn't get in the way of like work and stuff

18. What states in your opinion will legalize the use of marijuana next?

19. Just spark up a blunt in the middle of dinner. That should get the point across.

20. There's really no point in telling them. I understand you want them to know about your life, but telling them about every single aspect isn't necessary. Particularly this aspect of your life. The chance you seeing eye to eye with them about marijuana in general is highly unlikely.

You're already moved out and on your own so what does it matter?