Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

telling my parents i smoke...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tankerness, Nov 9, 2010.

1. So I'm 18 and I've been smokin for a couple months, all without my parents knowledge. The are both verrrry anti drug or anti weed or whatever. However, I feel really bad about lying to them and keeping it from them. I think they suspect me, but not too much. How should I go about telling them? Should I at all? I'm in college so I don't live with them, so there's really not too much they can do about it. It just sucks knowing that they won't respect me the same anymore. :/

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. #2 TelevisedChaos, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
    Dude, they'll respect you much more for admitting it to them and being honest, rather than them finding out by other means, that's when it's shitty for you. I started when I was 18, and I told my parents about it. In fact they told me they respected my honesty about the whole thing, it would of been worse if I didn't tell them and they found out somehow, trust me. They already had suspicions before I told them too.

3. I would probably just leave subtle hints, like if they came over I would have a bong on the table. Not very subtle, but that's how I would like to let them know.

In your case, I say just tell them you want to be honest with them and don't want to hide things from them, tell them you occasionally smoke marijuana, tell them you're a responsible adult, and tell them you'll use it responsibly.

Or you could give them "brownies" and wait for the fun to happen.

4. Yeah that's what I was thinking. what kinda stuff should I show them or talk about to try and prove that its not that bad? They're the type that think weed will kill you and its horrible for you and all that shit.

5. Show the The Union. You can find it on google videos. Its great for situations like this. Good luck :smoke:

6. Personally, I would attempt to educate them first. I would slip in little things about current events and my views first (i.e. why prop 19 would be good/benefits of decrim/benefits of medical marijuana to the suffering). Eventually my parents could at least see where my point of view was coming from (empirical evidence) and see that I had at least done research on the subject to make an informed decision. I think they resepected my decision more, even if they didn't completely agree with it, than they would have if I had just come out and admitted without justifying my belief that it is fairly benign.

7. Alright thanks. I'm just worried that my dad will flip shit. He found a lighter in my room once and threatened to kill whoever it belonged too. Lol

8. Have you ever watched 'The Union'?

It's a documentary about the real facts about weed, it will enlighten them if you let them watch it. Download it and burn it to a DVD or something?

Torrent:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4927052/The_Union__The_Business_Behind_Getting_High(2007)DVDRiP-XviD-Yo

Streaming:
    The Union

Synopsis:
    A very well built documentary about cannabis and drug prohibition. Does the drug prohibition work? Have a look and think for yourself.

9. Some facts you could tell him :

-Weed doesn't actually kill braincells
    -alchohol and cigarettes are worse for you than weed

I can't think of anymore, but like someone else suggested, watch the Union if you haven't. That will give you plenty of facts.

10. Alright, I'm gonna go for it when I go home this weekend. Thanks to everyone for your advice, I love y'all! :smoke:

11. once i told some parents that i smoked weed they were like oh ok and i have never seen them again

12. post back after you told them so we can see what they said

13. my buddy is in same situation as u, except he just graduated college and he still hides it from his rents, crazy.

I would just try to educate them as much as possible.

I am very thankful my dad had no problems with weed whatsoever

14. yeah... if you tell em and they put up a hissy fit jus try to educate them as much as u can.. i'm sure they'll finally realize that it's not bad, also if you're going to (or are in) school keep ur grades up to show them it doesn't affect your schooling.. i swear thats one of the things they care most about. if all else fails, tape them to chairs and force them to watch The Union :wave::bongin:

15. #15 CharO0ne, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
    Are you serious? Damn, that's really sad...

I know everyone is saying to educate them and pile on the whole "weed isn't dangerous" argument, but I'm gonna be honest: say allthat you can, and say no more. After my mom found out I smoked, she acted funny about it at first, as time goes on I can tell deep down she doesn't like it. And heres the part that pissed me off. I explained to her on multiple occasions that weed is not dangerous, it doesn't kill brain cells, etc. Less than a week later, guess what she said to me...

"you know that kills your brain cells right?" :mad: and this coming from someone who has over 8 bottles of different liquor all over the god damn kitchen...but it's okay since it's legal :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom but she is very ignorant. She admitted that "that's what I was told" and when I told her to do research on her own and stop takin everyones word for truth, she ignorantly said "I don't need to do any research!" simply ignorant stupidity. That is why you need to stand your ground and continue to smoke if that's what you want to do. If your parents don't like it: TOUGH. Your a grown adult, live your life. And if your parents don't accept you afterwards, it's their own loss...

It amazes me how some weed can destroy a family like that. Fucking ridiculous...

16. Hey, I'm 18 aswell. My parents know about my smoking for about 3 months now and the problematic argument they always use when we discuss the topic is that cannabis can cause psychosis.
    This is just an example for you to realize that parents will raise a lot of false claims when you talk about this and you probably can't do anything against it.. there are no studies that show the opposite:eek: You maybe face this problem, too: They already got their oppinion formed on the topic so yes, if they aren't that anti-drug they will will accept it.. if they are against it and you tell them that you smoke they won't like it for sure. That's how it is.. no honesty bonus in real life/education not possible with some parents:mad: But in the end you have to decide whether you just say that you smoke or you keep it secret, but I can tell you that keeping it secret is pure stress + after some years of you constantly blazing in your room everyone will smell it.. seriously. Having red eyes 24/7 and the smell.., after some months they just know that you smoke so just tell them right away:smoke: you totally feel better after they know (this only applys if you can continue smoking:D)

17. Tell them if you are old enough to be drafted into the army and die for your country, you're old enough to burn a plant.