Tell me what I'm doing wrong or could be doing better

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by abqjt, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Well flipped to flower today. Changed up nutrients, tried to my flower room fully blacked out as best as I could. Trying to control temps. Crazy how much time and thought goes into growing a weed!

2. I'd put the soil straight into the solo cup, distilled water with BioRoot @ ph 6.3. Place the seed in the dirt, then cover with cling and a rubber band around the top..I do this every time and not one has failed on me...

During the seedling stage, you should be running 24/0 to avoid stretch, and keep your internodes tight.

Transplant around day 14 into middle sized pot (I use 5L then 15L Final) More roots, more fruits ;) Topping at day 14-21 will increase yield...LST at day 28 of veg then lollipop the under carriage that doesn't get much light on week 5 of veg, then put her into 12/12 on week 6 or day 42...

That's my 2 cents on the veg period

Peace

3. Thanks for the input. I'll take that into consideration when I plant seeds next time. I'm currently busy managing the 3 overgrown white widow plants that I switched to flower and 10 smaller clones/small plants that I started a little while back. Legal regulations may bite me in the ass on schedule. Only being able to have 4 mature plants and 12 seedlings.

Im curious though, only 6 weeks of veg? That seems so quick. Doesn't seem like the plants would be near large enough in that time. These were started the last week of October. So I'm about 7 weeks in now and they're still pretty tiny. I can't imagine flipping them now being so small. IMG_0928.JPG

Also, one of them is strange. Gangly and real spread out. I thought maybe it is a male. But I snapped this picture tonight. I'm still not 100% clear on sexing, but this looks like a female to me. Unfortunately, in the transplanting some time, I forgot what strain it was and didn't write that either, so it is a mystery plant that is nothing like any of the others, even though I didn't have any mystery seeds.
    IMG_0930.JPG
    il59CrkRQMWMKesIWfWnYw.jpg

4. Well I definitely wish I had flipped them sooner. They're huge. Hoping they quit stretching up much more and just keep filling out. Any thoughts on trimming leaves to allow more light through the canopy? I've got mixed feelings about the idea considering they need the leaves for the photosynthesis process.

5. Another update. The 3 big ones are huge. And getting bigger. I'm going to have to figure something out to suck my lights up to the roof as I've got buds growing up past the lights now.

Also turned one bubblelicious and one raspberry cough. Both have doubled in size within the last week.

Had a first. My first male. I think it was my fault. Raspberry cough plant that was looking great. I topped it about a week ago, and this morning it had balls. So to the trash it went. I'm guessing too much stress from topping it. Oh well.

I've got a white widow clone I pulled that doesn't look healthy at all. Leaves are burning, curling up and spotting. Looks like heat/light stress from what I've read, but it is in the same area with 9 other plants, 3 of which are the same genetics and none of the others are showing any signs of problems. They all get fed the same nutrients at the same time. I shuffle them around to try and make sure light dispersion is as good as it can be. Not sure what is up with it. I'm just gonna let it keep growing ugly and see what happens.

Pictures for pictures sake.
    IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

6. Well damn, had another turn male. The bubblelicious that I had flipped to flower. I had topped that one too. Wondering if it is because of stress as well, or just getting unlucky.

Did some research on the white widow clone that is acting strange, and it has symptoms of a few different things. Doubt all are wrong, but narrowing it down might be tough considering I keep everything consistent with all the plants and it is the only one showing problems. The leaves look like pictures I found on this site that show issues with ph, calcium and magnesium deficiencies, and heat stress. Spotted leaves that are yellowing, curling up and browning at the tips of some.

Growery - Diagnosis

7. From what I know (no expert) stress won't make a plant male. It could make a female a hermie, with male and female parts. but it won't make it an outright male, that's just it's genetics

• Like Like x 1
  8. You're correct, I was just loose in my terms. I was aware that it can't change gender entirely....even if this is 2017!

One of the plants wasn't even in flower and developed pollen sacs. The other I had flipped to flower and it developed a bunch of really tiny sacs, and I clipped it from the herd immediately without bothering to really go over it to see if it had gone hermaphrodite or if it was just a male. Should have paid more attention. But ultimately, herm or male, it was a no go. Only would have been beneficial for my information.

Things on the 3 white widow plants are coming along nicely. However upon inspecting the trichomes with a 30x magnifier, the tips of some are dark brown. Could this be indicative of a nutrient issue? I'll do some searching but figured I'd throw it out here first.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. If you need a 30x magnification to see an issue you’re probably fine lol.

Don’t overthink it, if there’s an issue you’ll know.

First to third grow. From beginner to novice lol.

10. I need more light. Maybe not numbers wise, but dispersion. Does HPS spread better? My flower area is 4'x4'x5'6" high. I've got 5 various LED lights in there now totaling about 900w. If a 1000w HPS would work as well, I'm willing to consider it. No electricity saving if I'm going true watt to watt. So beyond the needing to buy a new bulb every year or whatever, I feel like it would be simpler if it were to better reach corners than the LEDs which seem to be a very direct light.

11. Didn't buy anymore lights. Just managing things. 5 weeks into flower on my big 3 white widow plants, almost 4 weeks on my Raspberry Cough. Raspberry cough is looking rough, but progressing. I can't tell what is wrong. Leaves turned down folded like tacos and tips curling like a horn. Everything I read said ph, so I've been tweaking that, and no change. So I'm just gonna let it run its course. It is budding and those look fine.

I am concerned a bit about two of my three white widow plants. They're showing some yellowing/purple on some of the leaves up top near the buds. Picture attached. All 3 plants are getting fed the exact same nutrients and only two are showing issues. Those two happen to be in 5 gallon buckets, whereas the third is in a 7 gallon cloth pot. Wondering if maybe it could be an oxygen issue? Or root bound?

Gonna have to flip my veg area before I harvest the flower area. Timed that poorly. Learning as I go.
    IMG_1083.JPG

12. Damn Man U got a full plate there

13. Flipped my veg area last night. Things are growing crazy fast. I'm gonna be overwhelmed here pretty soon. Well, more overwhelmed. Planted some new seeds as well.

How many people start with a tiny little grow tent and 6 months later have an entire room full? Because I feel like there is the potential for this to head that way. As dense as these plants are, I'm really curious what things would look like if I wasn't limiting things in small pots and a short box

14. I stick to growin what I can smoke but, I already got my next grow already planned out n can’t wait to see the outcome.

15. I think ultimately that is the goal. I don't even smoke, but a number of folks around me have their med cards. I've been considering getting mine. 10+ years ago I used to smoke to help me sleep, but quit when I got into legal trouble and never started again. But I personally like the project. I'd like to play around with making edibles, salves, and vape juice, etc. My dad smokes every day and he coughs and gags and sounds miserable. I know him though, and he will never take the time to do anything other than roll another one up, so if I can figure out a way for him to still get the effects without trashing his lungs, I'd like to.

16. Nice guy. I’ve played around with all that for others but never perfected anything. Growing in my opinion is addictive.

17. A note on my lights in case anyone reads this looking for info. I was having to suck my lights up closer to the roof of my box to give the buds a bit more clearance since I'm fighting what I believe is light burn.

In my flower area, I've got 3 Roleadro 400w COB lights, 1 1000w galaxyhydro led and 1 dimgogo 300w led. Yeah, kinda clustered. But whatever. So anyway, two notes about the lights.

- I'm noticing what I believe is light burn from the 3 COB lights. Nothing from the 1000w and nothing from the 300w. So I guess that might lend itself to proving that claimed wattage vs actual is of no value. As the 400w COB are estimated to be 200w actual each, where the 1000w led is supposed to be 165w actual.

-One of the three Roleadro lights just about caught fire. Plug melted in the case. I only noticed because I was moving it up. I pulled it out and I'm waiting on Roleadro to get back with me. They said they were going to send me parts to repair it myself. Not the best option in my opinion, but better than nothing. My concern is how long to get parts from China.

18. Cobs have much stronger light than lights with those little led bulbs. I just switched to sunlight cobs in my grow journal and they have to be much farther away than my LED 10w diode lights. I had to get a par meter just to figure it out. It's a huge difference. It may benefit you to do the same for each of your lights. Getting a nice collection there btw.

19. That’s scary! I’d guess weeks since they already got your $$$

20. Yeah I'm sure they're not in any hurry now.

Good to know about the cob intensity. I've looked at par meters and they're just too $$$$ for me. I bought a lux meter early on not knowing it was worthless for led. Oh well. At least those are cheap.

Since everyone likes pictures, here is from tonight. Have to click off the purple lights so the picture isn't too bad
    675F8B1A-27DA-4CBB-9E2F-57109D1EA4D4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1