Teens more likely to give marijuana a try in the summer

Discussion in 'Marijuana News from The USA' started by Superjoint, Jun 5, 2004.

1. By Michael Irvine
    The Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Summer's almost here and that means teens will have more time on their hands to pick up bad habits -- such as smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol, a new federal survey says.
    The National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that June and July were the most popular time for teens to try marijuana, with about 6,300 new users a day during those months.
    That compares with about 4,700 new users a day other times of the year.
    Additionally, the survey found that first-time use of alcohol and cigarettes also increases during the summer, when many teens are less supervised and, particularly in this economy, having trouble finding jobs.
    At a Friday news conference in Chicago, White House drug czar John Walters challenged teens and parents to quell marijuana use this summer, noting that the drug has been developed to become much more potent and addictive over the past 20 years.
    "You are going to be on the front line of those influences," said Walters, who heads the Office of National Drug Control Policy, addressing a group of Chicago high school students. "But we need adults to stand with you."
    Several teens present said they understood the risks of drug use, which they learned in their health classes.
    Still, they know other teens who use marijuana, which they and surveys say is the most common illegal drug taken by high-schoolers. Some said they even know elementary school students who have been caught using it.
    "It's definitely a problem," said Julissa Santoy, a freshman at Whitney Young High School, a public magnet school. "We should say something. We shouldn't just mind our own business."
    But Maribel Davila, another freshman, also placed responsibility on parents.
    "A lot of kids are pushed because there's a lot of stuff going on at home," she said, referring to such things as divorce, adults' own addiction issues and other family discord.
    None of the students were surprised by the findings. Nor was at least one researcher not involved with this survey who tracks teen drug use.
    While it's helpful to know when young people are most likely to start taking drugs "the real question is 'What should they do based on that information?' " said Lloyd Johnston, who heads the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research.

2. this is why i cannot read news articles like that. i just get so angry when i read such bs...

but the whole concept of kids smoking pot for their first time has been witnessed by myself. And im GLAD of it. More smoking buddies equals more fun! ... and more help to throw down some money for the cause ;)

3. I smoked for my first time over summer

4. i smoked my first time last weekend thats close enough to the summer. all the stress from exams made me do it. at least now i can be a statistic.

5. my first time was during the summer :smoke:

6. a bunch of my friends' first times were in the summer.....and i smoke more in the summer than at other times

7. fuck that .. we dont need 6000 more peeps smokin every day.. that kind of shit will make prices go up..

8. Heh its got some truth, I just made the decision to start last week (I hated smokers before that - smoking normal cigarettes seems soo pointless). Although ive yet to actually try it, getting weed round here in the UK seems so hard, one dealer said it would take him a week to get some good grass :(

9. Yep I got my friend who by his religion wasnt even allowed to drink till he was out of highschool (AND DIDN'T!!) to smoke a huge joint I roled...he had a funny first high and he couldnt ask for a better point to start than with swiss weed :D

10. hahaha...that number is crazy though...6000 new tokers a day!

and wow...that girl is only a freshman in high school and she's already a tight-ass.

Herb the gift from the earth,
    And what's from the earth is of the greatest worth.
    So before you knock it try it first,
    Oh, you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse.

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around,
    'cause I'm gonna burn one down.

-ben harper

11. :) :D :p..... ben harper kicks some ass....

Grasscity Deals Near You