Teen use of pot can lead to dependency, mental illness

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by blazenjosh, May 9, 2008.

1. That's bullshit. I use marijuana to help with depression. I was depressed before i started smoking. Now that i smoke i never get depressed, even when i'm not high.

2. "A teen who has been depressed at some point in the past year is more than twice as likely to have used marijuana as teens who have not reported being depressed — 25 percent compared with 12 percent, said the report by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy."

Anyone else see the flaw?

3. After i read this bullshit propaganda i stopped reading. This statement is completely false. How can a person who smoked only 12 times in one year be more likely to have suicidal thoughts. bullshit its ignorant people that come up with this bullshit.

4. lol i fucking agree, this shit is spreading around the news like wildfire.

increases mental illnesses by 40%!!! wtf? i mean almost everyone would be in a goddamn asylum by now huh

5. So basically they're saying depressed kids are slightly more likely to smoke. NO SHIT, weed can help with depression. I'll bet most of these kids are happier because of it(except for legal and parent BS they have to deal with due to ignorance).

If it made them worse, the news would be reporting a rise in suicides. Depression is a terminal disease if uncontrolled.

I used to have brief periods of extreme depression(and I didn't smoke) so I started sparking up around those times. MJ has stopped me from pulling the trigger a few times because I could get through it and sleep-off the depression. So I believe it has saved my life. I never wanted to take the pills because I wasn't constantly depressed and you have to take those every day.

6. "A teen who has been depressed at some point in the past year is more than twice as likely to have used marijuana as teens who have not reported being depressed - 25 percent compared with 12 percent, said the report by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy."

They are implying that smoking causes depression. Correlation does not prove causation, however; it seems likely that teens who are depressed are more prone to start smoking, thus the disparity.

7. Probably because once you unlock the mystery of reefer, you realize all the other lies society has built itself on.

Or they use cannabis and become depressed because of the unjust nature of our laws.

Depression and ADD are scams anyways, just because there are pills that eliminate human symptoms doesn't mean it isn't natural to be depressed or hyper.

8. Actually I think they're saying depressed kids are more likely to use pot, anyone with half a brain could see right (not saying you^) through this kind of BS, even people who don't know the truth. Problem is, most Americans no longer have half a brain, so they see it as true. Welcome to the American media, the most corrupt part of our government today.
    I also love how the research comes from entities that rely on mj prohibition, consider how many thousands more people are in treatment for BS marijuana addictions than the measly amount of people using harder drugs that are in treatment. They have too much personal interest in mj prohibition to be trusted doing research, because many if not most will lose their jobs from it being legalized.

9. Yes then OCD and Schizophrenia are fake too..... Stop smoking so much pot and go to school. There are different types of depression and ADD isn't categorized by hyper activity. Hence the disorder ADHD. Depression and ADD like symptoms are present in everyones life. The variable is how prevalent they are. Are you telling me that someone with Major Depression, someone who has been depressed for over 6 months is natural? A person who cannot maintain their seat or focus for more than a minute is natural?

Whats next? You want to beat the gay out of someone too?

10. Most medication doesn't eliminate the symptoms, it just covers the original problems up and creates new ones, for which they give you more pills.

Its crap. To hell with the giant pill companies, in with knowledgeable people making their own choices, figuring their shit out and changing it for themselves.

Weed helps with a lot of stuff, but it isnt the final cure for anything, except maybe anorexia. :D

11. It acts as though in all these cases marijuana lead to depression instead of depression leading to marijuana use. I would say these statistics are true because a teen is twice as likely to use marijuana if depressed instead of the other way around.