Teen Pot Smoking Linked to IQ Decline In Later Years

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ninja42, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Yo dawg dis is sew stupid aye ben smoking sense 12 and look at me now. Sientists dont got the same street experiense as me so why would I beleive them?

2. I started when I was 13. I'm 18 and still motivated; writing music, inventing shit, full-time job, so I guess thats a good sign :hello:

I wonder how they would distinguish between the environmental variables that existed in the study, I surround myself with people smarter than me so I learn new stuff..

It probably comes down to the person more than anything

3. Not hard to see the early effects...check out Apprentice Tokers...

4. "Scientists" once "proved" that weed smoke kills. Ya know what they did? Made monkeys breath pure smoke, no oxygen. Of course they died. And I bet that not a SINGLE politician has his hand in CNNs wallet. (Sarcasm) I do notice that I'm a bit slow the next day after some heavy smoking, I wouldn't smoke the day before final exams but otherwise I'm fine. Anti cannabis people just make me sad. Many parents say "just say no!" Like the kid will listen to them. There is no danger in weed, people need to be better educated about it instead of this illogical fear. Reefer madness is in the people who are mad about reefers.

5. Same. Like minded tokers for the fucking win!

6. Idk man...could be true. I mean, look at Obama...he smoked way back when and is now trying to get reelected on a platform of "You didn't build that." If that doesn't qualify, I'm not sure what does.

7. Not quite sure people who probably have zero credentials in the world of pharmacology, toxicology, neurology etc are saying this is nonsense...

8. Phew! I was about to start thinkin im fucking retarted lol glad roo see another gc member started at 13,

9. Yo, yo, yo gc what up MFers:hello::hello::wave::wave::smoke::smoke:

Listen here,

Just wanna say this type of conclusion on the impact of cannabis on a developing adolescent brain is nothing new...perhaps it was never scientifically published but I can remember my ol man(stone head adolf from the 70's) chewing my ass one night on the topic of cannabis.

I stubbornly knew everything and was blabbing this and that about how THC is one of the safest substance known to man, medical benefits, bla bla bla when he simply mentions the conclusion of this study in some sentence that I of course cannot remember verbatim.

Perhaps he knew from an honest evaluation of himself..idk, but...

I'd be lieing if I sat here and told you I don't think cannabis has had an impact, on me at least. Am I 10% dumber, I don't think so... defiantly forgetful and stereotypical stoner spacy though.

10. did they control for flouridated tap water of course not

11. i believe b.s like this is just an endorsement for cigs, alcohol, prescriptions etc,i do not believe for one second that it can help so many things but do what they claim their study shows....another reefer madness article at work ...toke on

12. Once again, you know fuck all about weed. You read a few articles and think you know it all, you know NOTHING. Whenever science crosses into the world of media, it's always twisted and made into bullshit.

I believe the idea that smoking cannabis at a young age regularly will fuck you up.

13. I can definitely understand the positions of cannabis on a DEVELOPING mind, and I agree. However, if you are over 19 I don't think there is much to worry about. Same for alcohol (dummy juice) and cigarettes (cancer sticks). I believe cannabis to be cleaner than these substance however abusing ANY substance at a young age has the possibility of lowering your I.Q

14. Is there anywhere I can see the WHOLE study, not just the pieces the newspapers published?

My dad saw it and thought he'd tell me straight away hahaha

15. They need to tell us what "persistent and heavy use" is. I don't understand how they feel safe publishing this without clearing up everything. Cannabis is something that has a million and one factors involved, I think it's a HUGE claim to say that IQ drops by 8. Not to mention that an IQ test literally means fuck all, do we all share the same type of intelligence? We don't know at what age these people started smoking, their smoking habits and anything else in their life. I haven't been able to find the number of people in this study. I have read nothing about changes in brain chemistry.

I found it interesting that they haven't cleared these things up, it's something any scientist would want to cover before publishing a paper that makes a huge claim. It appears as if this has just been put out without every nook and cranny being inspected.

I find this one in particular, rather fishy.

EDIT: I do 100% believe smoking cannabis before the age of 16-18 is a bad idea. Although a majority of people are fine, there is still a risk...

16. hogwash in my case.

Been smoking heavily since 13, no decline in cognitive function, here!

This misleading sense that pot makes you dumb is merely because people dont know what "linear memory" is.

17. Just because every detail isn't mentioned in the abstract doesn't mean it's not been studied. Like I said you need to be a member to view more info but there is a link ( Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife. ) with online supporting info.

18. I understand it may have been documented and studied, but they should be responsible enough to include these key elements. The media always fucks anything science-related up.

19. That's makes me happy to see some others were young also when they started lol I started when I was 12... I hope I'm not going to be stupid when I'm 30 or so