Technology

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by MiamiMist, Mar 23, 2013.

1. #1 MiamiMist, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    But Ever wonder why technology, lights, computers, phones, cars, planes, skyscrapers didnt occur earlier in the history of humanity? It almost seems like since the 17th century (Age of Enlightenment) the human mind has opened up more channels and smarter overall human beings. Prior to the period of enlightenment man has just been in fantasy mode and wondering. Almost seems like it happened over night..... The power of evolution!

2. religion kind of set man kind back a little, yet it also advanced it in some ways.....but probably set it back further than advanced

3. technology in some cases makes people lazy. the Amish are a very hearty people rarely sick strong people. they self sustain. subsistance farming building and crafting all they have. they rely on no one but themselves. modern suburbanites and city folk have to work for everyone/thing but themselves. you work all this time make all this money only to give it to a company that supplies electricity they dont make, give your money to an apartment manaer who runs a complex thats been paid for for twenty years. technology. and here i am typin on a computer comunicating with strangers... im so weak.

4. Fuck technology, im waiting for the next dark age. Then we can be peaceful and enlightened again together.

5. ^enlightened in a dark age?

6. Technology manifests itself based on Society's needs and wants. They just did things differently, not "didn't have it"

7. When the big philosophers and engineers finally stopped being so constricted by religion during the Enlightenment period, they spread their knowledge and scientific studies throughout, igniting a chain reaction of MUCH MUCH more educated and intelligent people during that time period, many of which came up with innovative or new inventions/ideas.

That's my theory at least.

And since then, technology has evolved at an exponential rate.

8. Nobody (so far) is forced to live in the modern world. I do understand what you're saying, and I did try an approximate version of homesteading 30 years ago but once you have modern conveniences, living without them is not all that pleasant.

You can always go to the extreme and live in the woods in a bark lean-to, brush your teeth with your finger and some sand in a creek, bath in the same chilly creek with no soap, shit over a log and wipe with leaves, learn how to hunt and gather, etc.

I kinda like having electricity and not having to do all the above things. I also like earning money so I can go to the supermarket and buy what I want, instead of going hungry or being forced to eat a half-rotten opposum to survive.

But that's just me. :D

9. Get caught doing that stuff around here and you'll get arrested. It's against the law.
    If you shit in the kings forest, you must pay the kings ransom.

10. According to Archie Bunker, California is "the land of fruits and nuts."

Is that where you live? :confused: Or England??

At any rate, there are plenty of places left in the world where one can drop out if one so chooses.

11. That can explain your screen name. The dark age of man will last a long time!