~Teach me more about Bongs~

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by George W KUSH., Sep 15, 2009.

1. Hey GC, last night I ripped a bong for the first time ever-Keep in mind i've been smoking for about a 2 years...

First off...I LOVED IT!

It was an awesome high and its a pretty great experience too...

A few questions I have about bongs that I know you guys will know.

#1: what's a percolator? what does it or they do and why are they good/bad?

#2: what does "milk" or "milkshot" mean?

#3: I've see people using those things like a heat element almost to burn the bud in the bowl without actually using a lighter...are those good, or bad? and if they're good where would I be able to get one?

#4: When i took my first hit it wasn't so bad, but when i was on my fourth or fifth hit, my throat had a really weird pain that I never had before...has anyone ever had this? and if so, is there anyway to prevent this?

#5: Ice bongs...What are they? do you actually put ice in the bong? what purpose do they serve? are they good?

I also am looking in purchasing a bong from a head shop somewhere...Willing to spend anywhere within the range of about $250. So if you can, direct me to a nice bong that would fit me.

Thanks so much GC you're always a great help.
    Really appreciate it!

2. #2 TheHerbHunt, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
    A percolator on a bong or perc. breaks up the smoke so that the bong hits easier and isnt to harsh on the lungs.

An ice catcher or ice bong does exactly what it's name implies, it holds ice so the hits are smoother. this usually is prongs in the tube part of the bong.

milking a bong is basically torching the bowl, or holding the flame to the bowl until its done. The smoke will be very thick and look like milk.

You dont need a heating element thats mostly for weed snobs who think that the fire ruins the taste of their bud

the burning you got was probably because you took too big of a hit. Just take small ones until your lungs are used to the burning

3. Thanks...yeah i didn't think the heating element things were that great either...

4. You could have just used the search feature. It is your friend.

5. 1. A peculator further purifies the smoke. I've used a bong with percs and it was really smooth. They aren't necessary but they are nice if you have the money.

2. Milking is when you light the bowl wait till you have a lot of smoke in the chamber and hit it.

3. I know what your talking about, they're called glo-rods, I believe.

4. have a cough drop in your mouth when your hitting the bong.

5. I think you mean when you put ice in the bong. It cools down the smoke alot, and makes it smoother.

I hope this helps

6. #6 psychenautes, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
    Greetings fellow grasshoppers! I wanted to know has anyone living or residing in North Carolina, USA had any problems with their bong(s) passing through customs?

7. I tried but all that does is say the terms "percolator" or "milkshot"...but it doesnt actually say what they mean.

8. It did, thanks.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but couldnt you choke on a cough drop if you hit a bong and its in your mouth?

9. Dude come on...You had to pick my thread to ask this?

And you must be a cop because you said "North carolina, USA" lol

10. Well, it's entitled: Teach me more about Bongs... Which I took to be quite relevant. Anyway... I'll bud off.

11. 1. a perc is another chamber of water for the smoke to pass through. the water makes the smoke less harsh and easier to inhale. Be careful with percs. If there is more than one perc on your bong, it will add a considerable amount of drag. 'Drag' is a term used to describe how hard a bong is to clear. Bongs with a lot of drag don't have good airflow and they take forever to clear.

2. A 'Milkshot' is a video of someone hitting their bong as hard as they can and filling the bong with delicious white smoke and then clearing it all. Called a milkshot because the bong kinda looks like its filling with milk

3. Some take the metal off of a soldering iron and use that to light the bowl to get rid of the butane taste.

4. It's just because youre a bong newb. this goes away.

5. sometimes a bong has pinches in it to drop ice cubes for the smoke to pass through making the hit 'cold'.

and for $250 I'd get a 14"-18" straight tube with a 5+ arm perc on it. GonG of course.

Possibly a Lux Mini-Perc?

[​IMG]

12. Everyone has pretty much explained everything spot on...but if you really enjoying smoking from a tube, then a heating element that does not contain butane will magnify that enjoyment greatly.

13. thanks so much...I'm gettin this one haha.

14. glad i could help. lux minis retail at $225 and can be found in just about every half-decent headshop in the country.

just remember. a BONG is drug paraphernalia. when you walk into the headshop you're there to buy a TUBE or a WATERPIPE

15. I recommend talking to the people at your local headshop. Lux is good, but you can also sometimes find more 'custom' stuff like SYN or US Tubes for the same or less money..

16. #1: what's a percolator? what does it or they do and why are they good/bad?

A percolator(aka a perc) is a mechanism, or an extra filter built into the tube that adds even more water filtartion/diffusion. The only way to make a hit SMOOTHER is by adding more water filters or diffusing points. The more times the smoke seperates through water, the smoother the smoke.

#2: what does "milk" or "milkshot" mean?

Milking a bong refers to the moment or second when th eentire tube and/or chamber is completly white with thick smoke.

#3: I've see people using those things like a heat element almost to burn the bud in the bowl without actually using a lighter...are those good, or bad? and if they're good where would I be able to get one?

Those are called soldering irons. You MUST only use ones with a ceram ic heating elemnt, though, or else you can inhale dangerous fumes. I prefer Beeline. The purpose a glow rod(heated by a torch) or a soldering iron or hemp wick, is to give you the real taste of teh weed without nasty gas straight from the lighter.

#4: When i took my first hit it wasn't so bad, but when i was on my fourth or fifth hit, my throat had a really weird pain that I never had before...has anyone ever had this? and if so, is there anyway to prevent this?

Thats just your body reacting to the hot smoke, nothing more then that. The more you smoke, the more you will get used to it and it will not burn, just pace yourself and work up to larger hits GRADUALLY

#5: Ice bongs...What are they? do you actually put ice in the bong? what purpose do they serve? are they good?

An 'ice bong' refers to any tube with a chamber that has a pinch or a narrowing that can hold ice. Be aware that not all tubes with ice pinches will hold the same size/shape cube.

I also am looking in purchasing a bong from a head shop somewhere...Willing to spend anywhere within the range of about $250. So if you can, direct me to a nice bong that would fit me.

I would reccomend a plain 5mm Roor for about 200. Just make sure it is not a fake! they are out there. Look up the signs.

17. Wow i've seen so many posts that you've put up here and never thought in a million years you would post on one of my threads...It's kinda like seeing a celebrity on the street or something haha.

thanks for the info man.

18. #18 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    lol i wished that someone would say that for a while, thanks for being that guy:wave:

I like coming to the apprentice section and helping out new smokers, IF they at least have an idea of common sense. I see SO many kids coming in here asking questions that no one could possibly answer.