Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Teach me about hookahs please

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by archelios, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hey guys so I wanted to get into the whole hookah scene. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to hookahs, so could you guys just teach me a bit?

I'm not looking for a super in depth analysis, just the basics.
    Also, can anyone give me some buying tips?

Thanks for any help guys. Live easy

2. Well a hookah is a type of smoking device that is NOT meant to have weed smoked through it.

You put some water in the bottom base and the SHisha tobacco (flavoured tobacco with molasses or something that makes it sticky and so it burns slower) goes in the bowl on top. Then you cover that with tin foil, poke a few holes in the foil, then light a coal and put that on top of the foil.

The you inhale through the hose some hookahs have more than 1 but each person either gets their own hose or you pass it around. The heat from the coal goes through the holes in the tin foil which slowly burns the shisha and makes a lotta smoke.

The shisha tastes very good a couple of my favorites are apple, and cherry (apparently banana milk is very good but i havent had it yet). Also caramel and cappuccino are alright but they don't have as much flavour as some of the others.

Also if your not a cigarette smoker you will get a good head rush from the shisha smoke, But if you are in for a long ass shisha sesh then take it slow because if you smoke too much too quick you will get a crazy headrush then just feel really lightheaded and dizzy.

Also the smoke is very smooth (you can completely fill you lungs with smoke and you won't cough, and its very thick. I have gotten WAY better at smoke rings from smoking hookah.

IF you got any more specific questions then feel free to pm me.

3. Welcome to the wonderful world of hookah smoking!

Google hookah-shisha and check out their site if you're trying to buy a hookah. Most hookahs in tobacco shops are grossly overpriced for the quality you receive.

Basically the hookah works as a normal water pipe. A bowl is loaded, heat is added (the coal), smoke travels through the pipe and passes through the water filter and then you inhale from the hose.

The best tip I can give you for hookah is to always clean your hoses. Fill them with either hot water or iso, plug both end and then smack it against a hard surface multiple times. Rinse it out until your water is clear.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

EDIT: and yeah what the guy above me said, don't smoke weed from your hookah unless you want to ruin its taste forever

4. Flavored tobacco not much esle

Though you can rip hookah like a motha fucker which is always fun to impress the non weed smokers with:D:D

5. Can anyone explain the way they burn to me? What exactly is this thing with coals?

6. ....well looks like im not needed in this thread haha.

i suggest not putting weed in unless u just sprinkle in layers between sheesha, be careful though. I notice that after a night of shisha bowls my lungs fucking ACHE and I cant take big breaths for shit. I think it has to do with the fact that your inhaling molasses...

w/e tho, after a run or two you lungs clear up. If u wannado what I do just smoke a bowl, then take maybe 2 or three pulls from a hose to be sociable, but dont go wild with it.

7. #9 Fenton Mewley, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    It burns the shisha tobacco. The coals are the source of ignition.

Do you guys prefer tin foil or metal screens?

8. Shisha=flavored tabacco. It's gooey. The coals on top of the shisha, usually seperated by a piece of tinfoil with small holes in it so that the shisha doesn't directly burn, yet the smoke can flow through correctly. If you're just going to a hookah bar or something, all you need to do is occasionally flip the coal with the tongs and suck in from the hose.

If you're looking to buy a hookah, though, it's a little more complicated to set up your first time. Like a bong, water goes into the bottom of the hookah. Once you set up all the piece after putting the water in the bottom, all you have to do is put some shisha in the top spoon. Put some holes in tinfoil and put it over the shisha and use the tongs to light a coal and put it on top. Pull through the hose to get it started, and if the coal is lit well... you should be set.

Hookah is relaxing and fun to chill with friends while doing, but inhaling a lot of hookah smoke is pretty harmful. I learned from one place that I used to go to that it's like smoking 6 cigarettes with one pull. Who knows if that's a myth, but it probably isn't.

If you go to a hookah bar, ask if they have a house flavor if they don't already offer it. I've never tasted a bad house flavor, the last place I went had the most amazing flavor I tasted as their house.

9. If you had looked at the wikipedia link you would know, but here is the pic on wikipedia

air passes by coals and gets extremely hot, and flows down to tobacco which then vaporizes/ burns depending on setup
    [​IMG]

10. the only good way i've found to smoke weed in a hookah is to mix kief & shake in with the shisha, n i've only done that once(i'd rather blaze & then hookah). But the only other tip i can offer since this is a marijuana forum, is to put roaches on the foil, lean them against the red hot coals and pull they burn slow n the hits are very noticeably different... better than throwing away a good roach