Tea Party/GOP Lawmakers Want to Raise Taxes! On the Working Class, Of course

Discussion in 'Politics' started by weednotcrack, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Tea Party/GOP Lawmakers Want to Raise Taxes! On the Working Class, Of Course

[​IMG]"GOP/Tea Party lawmakers are washed in the spirit of Grover Norquist, right? They would NEVER raise taxes no matter how little the revenue increase? Right. The answer is a resounding NO. The GOP/Tea Party IS ready to raise taxes it seems… just not on rich folks. They want to raise them on America's vast numbers of working class citizens.
    Many of the same Republicans who scorches the political earth in order to keep the George W. Bush-era income tax cuts from expiring when they were supposed to (the original "compromise" the GOP made with Congressional and Senate Dems at the time) are now saying a different "temporary" tax cut should end as planned. By their own definition, that amounts to a tax increase.

The tax break extension they want to end is sought by President Barack Obama. This is typical of Republicans who oppose Obama with a religious zeal that borders on the fanatical. I keep waiting for the day when the President offers up a bill to make eating fresh puppies illegal and the GOP rises up en masse to oppose it.

[​IMG] Unlike proposed changes in the income tax, the policy the President wants to extend helps the 46 percent of all Americans who owe no federal income taxes but who pay a "payroll tax" on practically every dime they earn. you know… your neighbors. Working class Americans who have been hurt disproportionately in the current economic down turn. As corporate profits have continued to go up during the recession real wages have gone down for average Americans.

There are other differences as well, and Republicans say their stand is consistent with their goal of long-term tax policies that will spur employment and lend greater certainty to the economy. "It's always a net positive to let taxpayers keep more of what they earn," says Rep. Jeb Hensarling(R), "but not all tax relief is created equal for the purposes of helping to get the economy moving again." The Texas lawmaker is on the House GOP leadership team. Basically… if we continue to give government subsidies to the wealthiest Americans they will create jobs with it… of course this has proven in the last years to be unmitigated horse shit.

At issue is a tax that the vast majority of workers pay, but many don't recognize because they don't read, or don't understand their pay stubs. Workers normally pay 6.2 percent of their wages toward a tax designated for Social Security. Their employer pays an equal amount, for a total of 12.4 percent per worker.

As part of a bipartisan spending deal last December, Congress approved President Obama's request to reduce the workers' share to 4.2 percent for one year; employers' rate did not change. The GOP and their mouthpieces in the right wing noise machines have continued to beat the drum that the President wants to raise your taxes… which, of course, isn't true. The President has tried repeatedly to lower the tax burden on average Americans, but the last the the GOP wants is for that to happen. They don't want the President to be able to claim that he has helped working Americans. It would fly to hard into the face of their garabage. Obama wants Congress to extend the reduction for an additional year. If not, the rate will return to 6.2 percent on Jan. 1.

President Obama cited the payroll tax in his weekend radio and Internet address Saturday, when he urged Congress to work together on measures that help the economy and create jobs. "There are things we can do right now that will mean more customers for businesses and more jobs across the country. We can cut payroll taxes again, so families have an extra $1,000 to spend," he said.

Social Security payroll taxes apply only to the first $106,800 of a worker's wages. Therefore, $2,136 is the biggest benefit anyone can gain from the one-year reduction. The vast majority of Americans make less than $106,800 a year. Millions of workers pay more in payroll taxes than in federal income taxes. The 12-month tax reduction will cost the government about $120 billion this year, and a similar amount next year if it's renewed. A drop in the bucket compared to corporate welfare and the Bush tax giveaway to the rich.

Rep. David Camp(R), chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, and a member of the House-Senate super-committee tasked with finding new deficit cuts pretends that the Tea Party/GOP is worried about the cost of this cut. Tax reductions, "no matter how well-intended," will push the deficit higher, making the panel's task that much harder, Camp's office said.

But Tea Party/GOP lawmakers have never worried worried about tax cuts increasing the deficit. They led the fight to extend the life of a much bigger tax break: the major 2001 income tax cut for the rich enacted under Bush. It was scheduled to expire at the start of this year. Obama campaigned on a pledge to end the tax break only for the richest Americans, but screeching Tea Party/GOP opposition forced him to back down. Many Republicans are adamant about not raising taxes but largely silent on what it would mean to let the payroll tax break expire.

[​IMG]House Majority Leader Eric "The Wiesel" Cantor(R)., "has never believed that this type of temporary tax relief is the best way to grow the economy," said spokesman Brad Dayspring. Apparently putting money into the pockets of working class Americans rather than helping the richest Americans buy a new vacation home or boat is "better" for the economy.

It has never been more clear… the Tea Party/GOP is going to do whatever it can to deny the President the opportunity to actually bring about ANY sort of economic recovery while the continue to make working class Americans the target of their economic terrorism."

2. All this over people who don't pay any goddamn taxes anyway? Are you cereal?

3. wont be long before this thread is consumed by ron paul mothers basement dwellers also

4. wont be long before this thread is consumed by barack obama mothers basement dwellers also

5. yeah well shut up....

6. [​IMG]:wave:

7. trolls ARE obvious. they stand out like a sore thumb up the butt

8. If you are gonna troll you should at least be funny with it.

9. tea party and pro wrestling seem to go hand in hand....both redneck nonsense

10. Why don't you salvage this excursion of yours and post some naked pictures or something.

11. keeping it simple with ps3 controller because wife hoggs the laptop. looks like you got a half naked pic of the hulkster right there princess

12. You should have red the rest of it :laughing:

13. let them vote against their own economic interest all they want. unless their trust fund babies or something.....

14. I'm not surprised.

The Tea Party is a tool for the rich to gain more tax cuts, too bad no one told the lower class they're going to have to make up the difference one way or the other.

but keep fighting for the rich, I'm certain they're not laughing at you from their 20-car garages.

15. This is odd, when there are threads about taxing the rich, they blow up like crazy, but when there is a thread on taxing the working class, it goes unnoticed. Either they are a ton of rich people on grasscity or the working class doesn't care about politics.

According to the poll I conducted on grasscity a few weeks back, over 50% of the 78 people that voted said their income was around 0-25,000 dollars a year. 20% said their income was 105,000+ a year, though one person admitted to not actually making 105,000+ a year and apologized for screwing up the results. I'm guessing others might have also lie about making 105,000+ a year, but who knows.

Grasscity.com Forums - View Poll Results

Those 50% need to know what is happening, they are already struggling. They are the ones that are going to need a tax break the most.

16. No person who raises taxes on any person is a tea party member in my opinion. I don't know what's wrong with those special interest sellouts.. Just goes to show how morally bankrupt so many of those congressman are..

17. I see to Citations in this article. Of those two, both were taking completely out of their contextual background. Based on this article, i don't see any reason to believe " tea party" republicans are looking to tax the working class.

What i do see, is a unsupported opinion article, that does not do anything to show me where it derived the claims made within.

18. #18 weednotcrack, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
    What the article is about is that there is a tax cut that was in-placed during the Bush administration for the working class, and now that Obama wants wants to renew it, the tea party/gop wants to let it expire. But when it came to Obama wanting to let the Bush tax cuts for the rich expire, the Republicans fought tooth and nail to keep them in-place with many stating it would go against the Grover Norquist pledge they signed. Grover Norquist himself said that letting the Bush tax cuts expire wouldn't break his tax pledge. Then he changed his mind and said, "There are certain things you can do technically and not violate the pledge, but that the general public would clearly understand as a tax increase. So I can be clear: Americans for Tax Reform would oppose any effort to weaken, reduce, or not continue the 2001, 2003 Bush tax cuts. Norquist added, "Clearly they need to continue, and not to continue them would be felt by the American people as a very dramatic tax increase. And the Republicans have made it clear that's off the table and we support that effort."

First Read - Norquist opposes letting Bush tax cuts expire

Republicans who signed Grover Norquist’s “No New Taxes” pledge — and that’s most of them — thought they had a nice safe shield to hide behind. “I can’t let the Bush tax cuts expire. Grover Norquist said so. My hands are tied. There’s nothing I can do.”

Who Hijacked Our Country: Republicans Can

19. Valuations are made subjectively. You can't objectively define class/wealth. This taxation debate is stupid...

Taxes are theft. It's irrelevant how much money you make.

20. Really? You can't objectively define class/wealth? So you can't disgust the class/wealth between these two families?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]