tax Office E-Mail Scam Is Foiled By Pensioner

Discussion in 'General' started by xenahelios, May 25, 2014.

1. [SIZE=12pt]Hass and Associates Accounting Tax News and Tips         [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]THIS savvy pensioner was a step ahead of scammers who tried to access his details through a fake tax email.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Former railway worker Ken Fuller, 80, received an email claiming to be from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, inviting him to claim a 'tax refund' of £469, following 'annual calculations of his fiscal activity'.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]To claim his rebate, all he had to do was fill in the attached refund form and submit it by the following day.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Like most scams, it sounded too good to be true, and it was. Mr Fuller, of Grimsby, suspected all was not as it seemed, and called HMRC which confirmed it was a fake.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ken, of Timberley Drive, said he wanted to warn others to be vigilant against such scam attempts, so people don't fall victim to their cons.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]He said: "It came out of the blue. I was just checking my e-mails on my computer when I saw it had come through.[/SIZE]