Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tasting Weed

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Tokinsince2012, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Hey guys. I've always wondered this. I've been smoking well over 2 years now, and I've had everything between ditch weed and top shelf fire. And I've gotten different tastes from different strains etc. And  I've heard from people in person or on the internet where they will say something like "oh this weed tastes like strawberries!" or "this weed tastes like bubble gum!" I had one dude tell me he had weed that made him feel like he was eating cheese cake... I'm like dude wtf kind of weed are you getting? Know what my weed tastes like? Weed. Weed smoke and butane. That's how it's always tasted for me. Could someone help me understand this? Am I missing something?

2. I think you just have to have a really tuned in sense of taste?? And maybe like focus on trying to taste the flavors instead of just taking huge hits maybe? Idk haha. I sort of feel you because a lot of weed tastes similar but to me sour D for real tastes like diesel like your inhaling gasoline or something and orange kush actually tastes like oranges to me so who knows haha

3. I think some people just really dive into that whole taste thing, but I'm closer to you. I can almost get the whole sour d, diesal thing, but I mostly just taste very slight, weedy differences. From kush to purple to diesal, they all taste different but I can't really point out how.

4. i feel like people are trying too hard to taste it and it makes them believe they really taste something that they shouldn't. Either that or my taste buds are just shit...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. [q uote name="Young Buckets" post="21128500" timestamp="1419958997"]I think some people just really dive into that whole taste thing, but I'm closer to you. I can almost get the whole sour d, diesal thing, but I mostly just taste very slight, weedy differences. From kush to purple to diesal, they all taste different but I can't really point out how.[/quote]right. Different Weed can taste different flavors in it's own way, but I don't see how you're going to be able to taste anything other than weed as a whole

6. weed has always tasted pretty similar to me
    i dont know if some people exaggerate or what but i can only taste very subtle differences in bud
    usually tastes the same to me

7. One time I got some herb literally smelled like pina colada. Tasted just like it to that stuff was good. Often I'm with you even though a bud will smell a certain way sometimes it just taste like bud. Not that there's anything wrong with the taste of fine herbs.

8. You could say wtf with all these different coffee beans man, it all tastes like coffee.  Or chocolate's just chocolate, or all beer tastes the same.  To one person it's true, to another person there's a world of difference even though they usually do pretty have tastes in common.

Like with most things you have to acquire a palette for it.  An analogy with wine is easy, but it's not just taste   I remember when I first had to listen to whole albums of heavy metal because of my girlfriend, it all sounded terrible and exactly the same but after a few weeks  started to hear the actual melody and notice things that I hadn't before.  I had to learn how to hear the differences between what seems like the same noise, and how to appreciate the sweetness that was there behind all the angry front.

9. Oh I like you.  I tend to agree. The most prevaliant flavor I have ever experienced was that orange crush back in the 90's. It tasted like you were bonging through orange juice. It even smelled a little of oranges.

High grade weed has a sweet , kind fruity flavor. But yeah I know what you mean with the cheesecake and the bubblegum and strawberries. I have never experienced that. Some of it has kind of a piney flavor to it, which i do not enjoy.

The first reason I smoke is for the euphoria. The second reason I smoke is for the flavor. Good flavor is relaxing. Relaxing during a sesh is vital for me. It aint fun to be smoking with a sherriff's helicoptor circling over your house.

10. its not that I don't appreciate the sweet taste of herb, it's just that obviously I'm missing something to it. To me, weed has it's own unique smell and taste. It doesn't taste fruity or smell like oranges or anything. There's only indescribably different tastes and smells of "weed." If that makes sense.

11. #11 Tokinsince2012, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    lol that's exactly what this is to me. There's only different tastes of "chocolate," same with beer and coffee. It all just tastes the same to me, there's just it's own unique flavors. I never drank beer that much, but i can't even tell a single difference between bud light and stag. And my step dad told me that just wasn't normal lol

12. I can taste different strains of weed, usually only when I've just changed strains I'll notice the change in taste.

Also, if you can get yourself some Mango anything then I can almost guarantee you'll notice the taste change there. Delish.

13. Taste is subjective.

14. Clean your piece and use a glowrod or hempwick instead of a lighter. If your used to using a lighter, even mids will taste pree great if you light your bowl with a glowrod (or ember same thing pree much)

15. Different pipes seem to deliver different flavor quality. My friends chillum tastes better than my bowl with the same weed. No idea why.
    I have some good weed now that tastes like dirty carrots in my vape. Kinda gross really. I'm guessing it wasn't flushed well.

16. The weed I have right now has a very sour taste to it, it all depends on what you are used to from eating and the quality of your bud.

17. to truely taste a strain and its wonderful terpenes you have to leave all that plant matter behind with a vaporizer or concentrate,
    but that said i do have to agree that most of all the strains ive tried have carried the same dominating plain weed taste.

lime haze though... i dunno whats so special about it,i tried lemon haze and lemon skunk and not even a hint of citrus,
    lime haze was just wow , a mouthful of limes and nostril full on the exhale , 

18. I had this weed once and it tasted like wet plants and got stuck in my teeth. Guess I should have smoked it.

19. #19 The real spliff shady, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    There are so many variables when it comes to tasting a strain of cannabis. First the quality and how the weed was grown, veganically grown In dirt with good light and lots of care will give alot more flavour than commercially grown hydro. Also the strain you are smoking and how well flushed. Really well flushed flowers will burn to a light grey white ash. Then there is how you are smoking it a bong or a vape will give you the best flavour while a spliff will give you the least flavour. Then for the vape lower temps give you more flavour than high temps and the vape should be clean. With the bong small snaps with a clean bong with a nice perc or deffuser will give better flavour than a huge hit out of a big undeffused dirty bong. Then there is how you hit it if you pack a small enough bowl that you can clear it in one small hit you will get the best flavour or you can just burn a little of the greens at the top of the bowl and you must clear it in one hit. Also it would be a good idea to know when and how to use the carb whether its a hole or the bowl.

20. Use a vape on a low temperature and is nothing but flavor, it's crazy.

But I'm also not good at recognizing terpene flavor.