Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tar from cannabis?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Imnothigh666, Feb 14, 2014.

1. I don't need a study to know that when I was smoking a half gram of oil and 2 grams of weed a day that my lung functionality was shit compared to me not smoking now. No where near as bad as when I'm smoking cigs, cigs screw my lungs way more, but weed still has an effect. You want to believe your lying ego if you think weed doesn't do anything

2. weed is packed with tar, epecially good weed, i noticed after washing the windows on my car inside and out multiple times they where still hazy looking, so putting 2 and 2 together since soap, hot water, windex, invisiglass, vinager and nothing else was working i said it gotta b tar from years of hotboxing and smokin n ridin everyday..... lo and behold i took some alcohal and paper towels and it started coming off, so much scrubbings and the cloudiness came off 1st i look on the paper towel and it was just shimmering like i wiped up crystal dust(thc) so if it was caked up on my windows like that you know its tar, or roll a fat blunt of some stick and roll it semi tight and you gone have tar resin on your lips and fingertips.... thats what hasnt already made it in your lungs

THATS HOW RESEARCH WORKS. literally thousands of studies have been conducted on self reporting. Do you think the American medical association would fund a study founded on faulty research method? 

seriously, unless you provide some evidence to the contrary, i'm going with the people who have medical degrees. I know nothing will change your mind, which is common with people who deny science. 

Inhaling any sort of smoke into your lungs whether it's weed, paper, any type of smoke is not good for your lungs. 

5. Haha, look what happens when the pro-pot argument hops off of their "moderate usage" semantic and steps onto the spotlight of facts and straight-forwardness http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-pot-health-idUSTRE8092BC20120111

At the highest levels of pot smoking -- using marijuana more than 20 times in a month, or having over 10 lifelong joint-years worth of smoking -- lung function seemed to decline again, but the researchers noted that there weren't enough heavy marijuana users in their study population to be sure of that.

20 times in a month? Average people take 20 hits of pot in a damn hour, or smoke 20 bowls in a week. Lmao.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3492159

7. #47 ReturnFire333, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014

In my opinion this report is saying that cannabis is under-researched but it is known that it causes damage, but since only 2 studies have been done on the freakin stuff we can't tell for crap the extent of the damage it causes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23802821

8. Anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Toke up.

9. Weed smoke is kind of interesting with tar compared to cigarettes. Marijuana smoke does have carcinogens - as all smoke does - but as someone else said, marijuana has tons of chemicals that actually kill cancer cells during their cell cycle.

But as for tar? I really should be switching to a bong/vape. I've been smoking bowls since my first time and I do get a bad cough every now and then.

10. There is build up in the lungs from regular use, but personally I get asthma from working out if I haven't blazed in a few days. I believe there is quite the community of runners/joggers that use cannabis as a breathing aid as well.

11. #51 Z42OM, Feb 14, 2014
    I think cannabis tar is not harmful in general , since no one has ever had any lung damage from cannabis use alone .

Not once have I coughed phlem since I stopped tobacco - and I smoke 7g weed per week

End of story ?

12. #52 AceYonder, Feb 14, 2014
    There are several considerations to keep in mind, and it seems many of them have been ignored by both sides of this debate. There is substantial evidence that chronic use of cannabis can cause or exacerbate certain problems with lung functions, most notably coughing and wheezing. HOWEVER, there is no evidence to suggest that any of the damage caused by cannabis is irreversible, or that it is severe enough to warrant concern. There are several reasons for this. Cannabis contains carcinogens, but is not linked to increased rates of cancer because it ALSO contains substances that are antagonistic of cancer cells. Cannabis does contain relatively high levels of tar (not the substance that roads are paved with, simply the name for the solid products of combustion), but unlike tobacco smoke, cannabis is an expectorant, which causes your lungs to expel the byproducts of combustion rather than allowing them to accumulate, this is why studies have found that in chronic smokers who cease use, full lung function returns, usually within 2-3 weeks, and no signs of permanent damage can be observed. Also of note is the fact that cannabis does not contain the high levels of Polonium 210 that tobacco does, a radioactive substance which is readily absorbed by the tobacco plant which is extremely carcinogenic and could be the true cause of a large part of tobacco related cancers. Contrast this with cannabis, which has been shown in many ways to have the action of protecting cells from radioactive and oxidative damage. Cannabis has been consistently shown to act as a preventive to emphysema in people who smoke exclusively cannabis (Interestingly, smoking cannabis in addition to cigarettes RAISES one's risk of emphysema to about twice what it is smoking cigarettes alone.). Cannabis also shows promise as a preventive to Alzheimer's, as THC is chemically identical, in every way except for half life, with a chemical our brain produces to discard unnecessary short term memories before they are committed to long term memory. This is why cannabis causes short term memory loss, but has a beneficial effect on the preservation of long term memory (If you think of it like a computer, cannabis helps you keep the hard drive clear so it takes longer until you run out of memory). Cannabis is one of the only drugs that has no adverse interactions with other substances, there are no contraindications and it cannot cause other medicines to become toxic. You can die from drinking grapefruit juice while on the wrong antidepressant, but there have been no deaths related to cannabis consumption in all of recorded history. This is a safety record that speaks louder than any study, any test, or any conjecture. No plant has been cultivated for longer by our species, and no medicine (other than perhaps honey) has been in use longer either. No other plant can boast even a fraction of the intrinsic link cannabis has had with human history. Cannabis has been found buried in tombs with pharaohs, and has been bred on nearly every continent, while tobacco wasn't even known to Europeans until late in the 15th century. In many ways, cannabis and canines have been more integral to the development of humanity than any other two single factors (The versatility of hemp has been recognized for so long, even as recently as the 1700s, farmers in the american colonies were required to grow hemp as a portion of their crops, and without dogs herding animals and protecting our homes for us we never could have developed agriculture and progressed past hunter gatherers.) I know I followed a tangent a bit away from the point, but the moral of the story is YES there are harmful substances in cannabis, but the harm they do is minimal, reversible, and must be contrasted with the benefits it provides.