tap water

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by greenbudguy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Is it safe to use? I've been reading and found that there is chlorine and chloramine in our tap water. Chlorine evaporates after 24 hours or so but this article claims chloramine doesn't. Chloramine is a chlorine molecule bonded with an ammonia molecule and its used to fight the threat of bioterrorism in our water supply. The author claimed it took two weeks with an airstone before he was able to get the beneficial bacteria to live in tap water but was only about 75% of the amount he'd see in RO water. He said if you used some dechlorination droplets it would break the bond between the chlorine and ammonia. The chlorine would evaporate as normal and the ammonia the beneficial bacteria can turn into usable nitrogen for the plant. How true is this information? If its true, why does ANYBODY use tap water? Please help and thanks in advanced

2. #2 TexRx, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    When I use tap water I always use dechlorinator drops. They're at the fish/pet store
    These days almost all of the dechlorinators remove amonia too
    Use extra during summer months

Another option would be to try to collect rain water if you get rain. I get little rain except during the fall/winter

:)

3. At 4 ppm max it's just not that big of a deal. Toss in some organic matter/carbon and it will blow it's wad and be done.

4. #4 WeeDroid, Oct 18, 2011
    Hey there,

I live in an area with chloramine in our water and have no issues, from what I can tell, with breeding bacteria. Here is what I do.

I keep a water tank under my grow trays (trays are 3' by 6', tank is 70 gallons). In the tank I have 3 large air stones connected to a heavy duty (4 gang valve) aquarium air pump. I also have an aquarium heater in there set to about 72F.

Inevitably some of my bagged, custom mixed compost and such gets in the water. What I have learned here is that compost, especially hummic compounds, help break apart the chloramine molecules. Once that happens, the chlorine is easily bubbled off.

I originally set up the tank to not only provide me with a constant source of de-chlorinated water, but water that was oxygenated and warmed more or less to the same temps as my root balls (they sit right above the tank in the tray above it). I also use this water for cuttings and for making AACT's. The AACT mix loves having constant temps from brewing to application.

I fill the tank with a hose in my garage and allow at least 24 hours to stabilize before using the water in the tank. The whole system is very ergonomically friendly and works together to maintain an environment perfect for my plants.

5. So Chloramine I shouldn't worry too much about then? So long as I keep it bubbling for 24 hours? Can I throw some EWC and molasses during the first 24 hours? Would that help get the Chloramine out faster?

6. Chloramines don't evaporate and bubbling alone won't remove them

Not sure about what organicterra said. Never tried it

7. Would throwing some EWC into some water help take care of the chloramine?

8. not at all sure how much water you are talking about but can't you get some water at a lake or stream? every year i am more and more happy about having my own well. they keep jacking up the rates with the city water, requiring meters, dumping in more chemicals to "protect" people. j

9. #9 TexRx, Oct 18, 2011
    In my area, chloramines go to really high levels during the hot summer months to stop algae blooms. Then they drop in our cool months

You can do a search onine and possibly find what amount of chloramines your area uses

If they are low you could just let them be

But, I'm not like that. Dechlorinating drops are cheap and you don't use much

It wouldn't compromise your organic program

10. Municipal water supplies are required to make their reports available to the public, so keep looking until you find it. Here's a quote I pulled from an organic section sticky that succinctly explains the chloramine deal:

"An easy way is to take a couple of tablespoons of quality earthworm castings and put them into your mesh bag and bubble it out for about 1 hour. The organic material in the earthworm castings will activate the chloramine causing it to convert chlorine and the aeration process will remove both the chlorine and ammonia."

Damn I love that LD sticky.

11. #11 WeeDroid, Oct 18, 2011
    Or you can be a slob like me and just spill some compost (with ewc's of course) into your water tank. ;)

nibbles on an organic canna ghee chocolate chip cookie

12. Google what clorine gives off when it burns.

13. Add some EWC bubble for a few and you are good to go. End of story.

14. Maybe I'm just lucky having a 400' deep artesian well, but I have never worried about having to use distilled water, RO water, bubbled water, etc.

I just use the water right out of the tap and all is well and happy.

jerry.

15. So if I just bubble my water with a handful of EWC, let it brew for an hour, and then I can throw in the rest of the EWC and other organics and the beneficial bacteria will grow?

16. #16 WeeDroid, Oct 18, 2011
    You could. I like to let things go for about 24 hours, before starting an actual brew. It's not an exact science as we're not using any measurement tools to gauge our success. Hence I let things go for a bit longer just to be certain.

17. If we aren't exactly sure, I think I'm going to bubble the tap, put drops of dechlorinator, put some EWC, let brew for 24 hours and then add the rest of the ingredients to full brew