Tap water/ letting it sit for day to two

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by FuZzYBuDs, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Got an question about letting tap water sit for a day or two before changing bubble buckets.. do I leave the water uncovered? Should it be covered? Should I add an air stone to keep it moving before I use it in the bubble buckets?

Thanks in advance for the help

FuZzY back in Garden. First hydro grow. Auto blue cheese - the vault freebie winner
    Auto blue cheese - the vault freebie winner

2. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will neutralize the chloramine that most water treatment plants use.
    40 mg per gallon of water.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. You should cover it but not air-tight, to prevent dust or bugs from getting in.
    Airstone is also a good idea if you have a spare one, but not necessary
    And think about buyin a osmosis system this will help you. Water in the US is mostly very heavily treated to meet goverments regulations. You will not only do your plants a favor but also yourself because osmosis water does even taste better than bottled water from the store.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I let mine sit like 24 hours or more open. The only time I buy water for my plants is when I'm flushing. My tap water is PH 7 and 56 ppm. It already has calcium in it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you to everyone for the input. I'll use an rubber maid container to prep before an watering and cleaning. I will use an air stone but also keep the lid semi off.

Thanks again everyone

FuZzYBuDs

6. Pretty wide open question considering not all city or well water is the same PH or PPM !
    All the water in my area PH is the same 8.2 ………..
    All the water in my area has several minerals in the water that the PPM's is over 500..
    If you are degassing the city water of things like fluoride leave the cap off for 1 hour …..
    Ps I guess fluoride isn't used that much anymore and other chemicals have replaced it .

Personally I rather use filtered water and build the water with what I want in it , because its easier then trying to adjust to what minerals that are over 50 ppm's and is becoming harmful to my plants.
    For 199.00 bucks you can buy a under the sink RO system .
    My PH is 6.2 and the water is stripped from minerals .
    Then I add what minerals I want in …. thus I am in full control and leaves out the guess work ..
    Cheers

7. Thanks for the input head hunter. It would be nice to invest in an an system but I have already invested so much in the past couple years. Plus I'm only do two plants at a times so it hasn't produce as much I want for me and my family. I know you got to spend to make, but I did stink a lot in an cmh the help with electric. I will down the road most likely invest in a filter system.

Thank you again for taking the time and explaining it. Will add to bucket list as my garden builds

FuZzYBuDs

• Like Like x 1
  8. Your welcome .
    Doesn't make any difference how many plants you got going ,, what's important is the harvest .
    I love smoking my weed ... ( amnesia Haze ) and don't mind smoking people out.

Yes I had to add a breaker panel and route some wires myself.
    Good luck

9. What’s an airstone?
    Is that the like the bubblin stones in an aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yes.

FuZzYBuDs

• Like Like x 1
  11. I know the reverse osmosis systems are usually very expensive, and typically only cover one faucet/fixture. However, a cheaper alternative would be installing a whole house water filtration system. It doesn't get water down to ~0ppm like RO, but will still filter out most of the bad stuff found in tap water. All you really need is..

...2 of these housings ($30/ea)...
    ...a sediment filter ($10/ 2 pack)
    ...a carbon filter ($10/ 2 pack or $15 for the better carbon block)
    ...and about $20 worth of PVC pipe, glue, pipe cutter, etc.

So for under $100 and about ~2 hours of your time, you can improve the water quality (and taste) throughout your whole house. Plus it's much better for appliances and fixtures to prevent hard water buildup.