tap root length before planting?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by coldkast, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Hoiw long should the tap root be before planting? because the ones this dude planted which had tiny tap roots, didnt sprout.

2. i let mine germinate for 48 hours, then I plant it no matter how long the root is. I prefer them to be about 1.5 - 2 inches long though

3. Really?

I tell ya it must be this seed raising mixture that they're using, it dries out so quickly, if they watered these things once per wk theyd die, theyre seedling trays too.

maybe some quality top soil or a mixture with a NEW potting mix would be helpful?

4. i plant it right when i see it, if it is 2 inches long the hairs stick to the napkin/cloth/etc. and you may rip it

5. Just check on the beans twice a day. As soon as the root begins to emerge then it is time to plant it. Sometimes when you check the seed will just be cracked, other times the tap root may be sticking out half an inch or so, it depends on when you catch it. As Dank said though if you let it get too long then there is greater chance of damaging it.

6. Put your seeds directly in soil, keep them warm and moist, they will germinate fine, with no worries about taproots.

IMHO, germinating in paper towels is a totally unnecessary additional step.

7. OK thanks a lot all we've got a few things to try now thanksw to you :)