tap ph'd water at 600 ppm X10

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MoneeyTrees, Apr 11, 2013.

1. I checked the ppm of my tap water in my bucket {dwc} and it read 600 X10. It is brand new so it has to be correct. would that be meaning 6000 ppm? Thats unbelievable. Im trying to get himalaya blue diesal to sprout, i didnt germinate it just threw it straight in dwc with rockwool and hydroton. [SIZE=4]Debatin[SIZE=4]g on t[SIZE=4]he[SIZE=4] ppm, wi[SIZE=4]ll it even sprout[SIZE=4]? The ph is at 5.8-5.9 and i soaked the cube with the same ta[SIZE=4]p and ph.
    :cool:
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. I believe your meter needs calibration. Its not uncommon for a new meter to need calibration. I would take it back to the shop and ask them to do it, or read you manual and buy a calibration solution to DIY. 6000ppm straight from the tap is super off, you would taste that if it really is that high... EPA has a municipal limit of 500ppm, anything over 300ppm tastes like crap. Unless you're pulling from a well with massive limestone deposits (even so 6000 is way too high of a reading), you're meter is off.

3. gosh, thats a bummer, i bought the thing from ebay and dont got any instructions what so ever.

4. i read that you can calibrate your meter by using 500 ml of h20 and adding 1 gram of salt and should equal 2000 ppm. and my meter read 2000 so isnt it correct?:confused:

5. I don't know what's going on with your meter, but your tap water is not 6000 ppm. Did you test it without using pH adjusting chemicals?