Taoism?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by crazynorw3gian, May 15, 2010.

1. Does anyone know much about it? I started doing meditation and was tired of all the religous dogma associated with it through Buddhism, Hinduism etc. It seems like Taoism, when approached from a philosophical rather than religious perspective, has a lot to offer without the need to invoke supernatural entities. What do you guys think?

2. I'm just posting here to subscribe to the thread, i too am curiosu

3. #3 YEM, May 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    Taoism has a lot of great things to offer.

Just read the Tao Te Ching, I've read it over ten times now and am always gaining something new out of it every read.

It has a lot to do with simply letting go and therefore finding oneself in natural harmony and balance with the universe. It attempts to convey a message of staying firm to the center, not getting sucked in too deeply into the occurrences of things outside yourself, keeping your mind focused, alert, and receptive, and of course maintaing that sense of balance and unity.

Tao Te Ching

If you have any questions, I'd love to attempt to explain my interpretation on whatever verse. A user on here named Vitamin 420 is also very familiar with the text and can offer you great insight if you'd like. :)

4. a main idea of Taoism is "go with the flow" i just got done doing a world religions study program and learned alot. most of taoism that i saw is philosophy and trying to become a more whole person.
    "be like the uncarved block"

5. Taoism is a philosophy, not a religion. Yeah, there is nothing supernatural about it.

Taoism is wise rubbish. Importantly useless. ;)

6. It has also evolved into a religion in some areas. It may have originated as a philosophy but there are those who have warped it into a religion. I am interested in the philosophical implications though, so I was just clarifying.

7. It's not/never has been considered a religion , and if you study it further, this becomes clearer

The simpler the philosophy, the better

8. The Legend of Tao Te Ching

"Lao-tzu lived for a long time in the country of Chou, but seeing its decline he departed. When he reached the frontier, the guard said, 'Since you are going away, Sir, could you write a book to teach me the art of living?' Thereupon Lao-tzu wrote his book about the Tao and departed."

9. A Taoist allegory from an Alan Watts book I read went as,

To have running water, one must let it fall from his hands.

It's a phrase I frequently remind myself.

10. I used to study Taoism until I read that as a man you can have sex, but should never cum unless you are trying to have a baby, then I stopped reading.

11. Who said this?

12. #13 Gardenmaster, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
    When you have Taoist sex you are joining your energy with her "HeQi"

Your Jing is your essence or energy and once it's all excreted you will die. It is believed to be contained in your bodily fluids, i.e. blood, semen, etc. Semen having the highest concentration of Jing of any fluid. Therefor you must conserve the amount of times you ejaculate to preserve your life essence.

Sex is very important to you and your partners Jing and HeQi.

I had heard this explained as when you are having sex you are giving her your energy, when you cum you have given her your batteries.

Edit: One other belief that left a bad taste in my mouth was that immortality can only be achieved by having sex with 14 year old girls.

13. Interesting. :laughing:

Did a little research, and supposedly some Taoists believe not-ejaculating is key to immortality.

Those guys tried to catch the boat at a train station.

A Taoist seeking immortality is like the sun seeking hydrogen.

All I'll say is, read the Tao Te Ching...

If it makes sense, cool. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.

14. :laughing: