Tao Te Ching

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Twistedd, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I've finally got around to reading and finishing Tao Te Ching. I'd like to say everything made perfect sense, but in time, I'm sure it will. There were things in there were I knew exactly what was being said, But I'd like to develop a full understanding of everything in time. With that said, does anyone know of any books or texts similar to Tao Te Ching? I'm asking for Eastern Philosophies and Religions.

2. holy science- swami sri yukteswar
    Autobiography of a Yogi- Paramahansa Yogananda

3. The Second Book of the Tao - "Drawn from the work of Lao-tzu's disciple Chuang-tzu and Confucius's grandson Tzussu. Mitchell has selected the freshest, clearest teachings from these two great students of the Tao and adapted them into versions that reveal the poetry, depth, and humor of the original texts with a thrilling new power." Pretty good read, insightful commentary as well. Or try the Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley! Also an amazing book.

4. Has anyone read "The Four Books of Confucianism?" I have the Analects, but I need the other three. Also, what is the Hindu book of text?

5. Bhagavad Gita, definitely read!

6. Haven t read any books on eastern philosophy ,they seem interesting.
    need to start educating myself again, school fucked up my education process.

7. A Guide To The I Ching by Carol K Anthony is very good. It's Taoist as well so you can have a bit of continuity.

The Teachings of Buddha compiled by Jack Kornfield is an excellent collection of the Buddha's teachings if you want some slightly different eastern philosophy. Another good read about Buddhism is Time, Space and Knowledge by Tarthang Tulku.

The Dhammapada is a great read.

Also, depending on the translation you've read, it might be worth re-reading the Tao Te Ching translated by someone else (the best in my opinion is Stephen Addiss and Stanley Lombardo's translation), everyone translates it very different and it's interesting reading how other people interpret it.

8. Agreed. I read the translation by Ron Hogan, I liked it, but I feel like it lacked true authenticity if you know what I mean. Everything seemed to hold water, but it was more modern post-9/11ish. I've been searching for other versions, to no luck.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm very interested in Eastern Philosophy & religion, and I plan on learn the majority, if not all, and then as time goes on (in a philosophy sense) move across the world towards other philosophy. Pretty much I want to study the history of it, and all the different regions of origin.

I have a lot of reading to do in that case, and I should probably dedicate more time towards reading, but I still get some time in every week, if not every 2 weeks. I'm about to finish the Story of B in a little, might take me the week to finish if I keep up my daily reading, that way I can get on to other books. I'm trying to find the Four Books of Confucianism and I can't find them. does anyone know where to get a pdf of them? I already have the Analects book.

9. Practice not-doing
    And everything will fall into place

^^^^^^
    The line that stood out to me most in the tiny yet infinite little book

10. [quote name='"weed:myantidrug"']Bhagavad Gita, definitely read![/quote]

Definitely on my must read list

11. I wonder what the applications of the Dow Te Ching are in the Tao Jones Index.