Talking to psychiatrist about smoking weed?

Discussion in 'General' started by Taylored, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I have an appointment coming up with my psychiatrist, which is usually a check up to see how I am doing. I live in a non MMJ state, but still have easy access to it :D. I've noticed that the weed helps with my anxiety, depression, and ADD which is why I am seeing him. Should I tell him about me smoking, or should I keep it to myself. How would telling him benefit me?

2. id tell him. not sure about the benefit, maybe help you from a misdiagnoses.

3. It would allow him to factor it in when diagnosing you, but make sure the confidentiality is secure; I forget when then they are allowed to contact the police but it involved your safety and the safety of others, so if this guy is a tight ass he might over react.

4. happened to me on multiple occasions and no matter what you say they will tell you to do it less

5. Its supposed to be confidential if you're over 17 or considered an adult so thats first

and because you could explain to them how its benefitting you...so hopefully you two will see eye to eye on the subject and they could further advise you or make recommendations...

congrats on be taylored haha

6. They'll probably tell you to stop lol

7. I'm a MMJ patient and when I spoke to a psychiatrist about depression she swore it was because I smoke weed. Stop doing it or I won't see you. Bye bye:wave:

8. Someone like that I would just say bye to anyway. She doesnt sound like a good therapist.

A psychiatrist saying 'you shouldnt do that' is one thing.

'quit smoking or we're done' is something else and is very unprofessional

9. That was my take on it too. She told me as I was walking out of her office that I was just letting the pot take over and ruin my life.

10. yeah the general answer is gonna be: do it less. unfortunately. but it's a good idea to tell him/her so it'll be factored into the diagnosis.

won't hurt.

11. I would turn around and say 'Your position is ruining your career'

12. #12 JoMommaNoid, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
    I got this.
    They'll say: You're using it to alleviate these symptoms, which means the alleviation of these symptoms will only be prevalent when you're smoking weed.
    Therefore, it's complete dependance on the substance and you'll find when you don't have weed the symptoms will be increased and you'll actually have made the condition worse. Then you'll need more and more weed and be a complete addict with every single thing in your life requiring weed to feel any kind of normal to you.
    Here, instead why don't you stop using that and have a handfull of these antidepressants, and here, you might also like these opiate like drugs to help with your anxiety. You might feel asleep most of the time or never like yourself but it's all good because you'll be numb enough that you won't feel anxious or depressed at all, and most importantly, it's not weed.
    Don't worry that these are actually more addictive and take a long time to get out of your system, leading to many negative withdrawal effects if you don't ease off them over about a year...the important thing is, the companies that make these will profit so they can make more drugs for folks like you, and it's completely legal.

...Though they probably won't elaborate too much past "I think you should try these instead"
    People in the medical industry are simply biased, controlled by pharmaceutical organisations, and bound by professional perception to not be known as someone that endorses weed.

I would not expect anything other than a negative reply and a segway into offering "something that will help"

My partner suffers from agoraphobia and has quite physical panic attacks on occasion...if she has a little weed in a vape, and I mean a TINY bit, she is good to go. She's not becoming any more addicted, in fact she doesn't even like using weed prior to going out much, and tries other methods like chewing gum (god knows how that works, but hey) which work for her too.
    Just because weed happens to help does not mean you NEED it to help, and her condition does not worsen when she doesn't have any.
    Are you addicted to panadol because you use it it relieve a headache?
    Nope.

13. He isnt allowed to say anything to anyone. Its a HIPPA violation. if he ever told anyone, you sue the shit outta him and you now get his salary from sitting at home

14. My psychiatrist is pretty bro, he wouldn't snitch. He has MS too so I think he'll know what's good.

15. tell em.. i told mine i smoked weed, and he said yeah it should be legal, i havent plenty of buddies who smoke.. then we just kept talking

16. If u think it will help. He wants to prescribe drugs no
    T weed so

17. I asked if i he should tell my parents i need weed haha

18. I would say no.

Here is my experience with this:

I went to see a psych to try to get meds for my social anxiety and panic attacks, so we were talking about all that jazz. She asks if I smoke weed and I say yes, she asks how much a day? I said about a joints worth a day and I do not smoke EVERY day. She said I was addicted to weed and did not do anything for my anxiety issue at all. I was beyond pissed and never came back to that bitch.