talking on the phone

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by ziggy513, May 16, 2011.

1. I think I legit have like a phobia of talking on the phone. I'm fine when I call my mom or whatever, but friends and such, I just can't seem to keep a conversation going and I get scared, I guess. My ex girlfriend (long distance relationship) wants me to call her sometime soon, and I just don't know if I can. Does this happen to anyone else?

2. I just don't like the awkwardness of some phone calls because I never know how to end the conversation cleanly unless I'm really interested in talking to them at the time. I think you might just have some anxiety issues.

3. My boyfriend is great when communicating face-to-face, but he hates phones.

I don't care at all, I do too. I really would rather see someone than talk to them on the phone. I understand, man.

So, knowing that, we never call one another. We think it's fine, we'll text to figure out places to meet up.

What about skype? I hate that shit too, but that's a possibility.. Or just tell her you hate phones and you wanna' meet up (although long distance) or for you guys to communicate through chat/ e-mail something...

Hard to tell what you're to do because your intentions are cloudy - do you wanna hook back up or something? ;)

4. me too, i wont pick up or even call. just texts or youre shit out of luck lol

i think it has to do with my lack of words and lack of connection with people

5. #5 ziggy513, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
    well we broke up a year ago, and out of the blue she messaged me saying she misses me. i was like 99% over her, and now i'm back to 0. we talked on facebook for a little bit, and shes telling me how she loves me and always has and wants to be friends and progress from there. i don't know, it's just fucked. i'm all for texting/msn/IM but i understand that she wants to hear my voice once in a while.

6. I can never call customer servive or order pizza...

7. ...really? phone calls are easy. when they get dull....make it obvious and then peace.

*awkward silence*
    "hmm....soo uh....ya...ive run outta shit to talk about"
    "haha ya...me too."
    "Its much better when your in front of me....text me soemtime, we can hangout."
    "Okay"
    "Alright i'll letcha go now, cya"
    "Bye"

done, and door open. Phones are simple, just dont give a fuck. What kind of day and age is it when ppl are afraid to speak outloud?

8. probably because there are so many tools at our disposal these days that you can literally talk with out speaking,

email...texting etc etc

9. Having a conversation over phone is a good way to start a misunderstanding.

So I try my best to avoid talking for longer than 2 minutes.

10. #11 Pistolvania, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    i used to be the same. talking to family or people i talk to daily was easy but when it came to talking to a girl i liked or someone who i haven't talked to in a while i would feel awkward. what helped me was just getting over it and calling. practice makes perfect is the perfect quote for this sort of situation.

i kept thinking i would have a hard time keeping a conversation which was true but it became less hard when we started talking. if your girl doesn't have much to say start a conversation about your day or whatever is on your mind or even personal interests. that's if she doesn't have much to say. odds are if she wants to talk to you and it's long distance she'll have loads of questions and things to tell you. fundamentals of talking to a woman, girls love to talk (most of the time). if you have been intimate with her it honestly shouldn't be that hard.

what makes it hard for me to talk to people on the phone is sounding like a dumbass or having a stupid misunderstanding. with a bf/gf, you've been with one another so that general uncomfortability (apparently not a real word) shouldn't be that big an issue.

but like i said before, even if you still feel nervous or anxious leading up to the call just do it. it will become a whole lot easier after 5 minutes.

hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nothing beats face-to-face. I don't aspire to be "good" at phone conversations. Either you are good at it or not.

I'm not.

I keep them as short direct and "to the point" as possible.

12. There's nothing to be good at. It's just talking to another person. If you're not "good" at talking on the phone it's more of an anxiety/nerve issue than a skill issue.

13. I'm always anxious about talking on the phone, no matter how well I know the person on the other line. But once the conversation starts it usually goes pretty well and I find myself talking for hours with someone I didn't expect to entertain for more than five minutes. Just talk talk talk about anything; whatever happens to be on your mind. It's not like they can reach out and hit you if you say the wrong thing. Or just let the other person do the talking. Most folks are more interested in talking about themselves anyway.

14. this.

this pretty much sums up my phone conversations with my best friend that i have a hard on for (shes a chick).