Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Talked to my dad about it.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cudii, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I talked to my dad about all of it and told him that I and a LOT of others feel that there is nothing wrong with it. He looked it up with me there on one of those "con" websites about marijuana. Everything I told him as "There is nothing addictive in it".. Didn't work. I tried matching everything up with drinking and cigarettes. Even caffeine, even though he almost never drinks, like 1-2 beers a day, and has never smoked a single cigarette. I told him i'm just "curious" about it, even that freaked him out. (I smoke about everyday). I just told him alls i want him to do is accept that it IS NOT a bad drug and has close to 0 long term effects. Everything he hears on the internet or the news is so true to him, he just can't see past any propaganda.

All in all, what else can I tell him? I told him I am 18 so I am close to being entitled to my own opinion soon, he gets freaked out way too easily.

2. If he can't see past propaganda, show him tons of good propaganda.

3. Why do you care.....you're 18 years old and will be on your own soon. You can do whatever the fuck you want. Personally, I do not care that my parents hate the drug. I see no use in wasting my breath.

4. Sorry to tell you, but most of those things about weed are not true. Is weed as bad as people make it out to be? No. But You can't act like smoking isn't bad for you. If you vape and eat edibles everytime you get high than it is not bad for you. But most us are not doing that.

It is definitely mentally addictive. If you smoke a lot everyday then you are going to want to do the same thing tomorrow to aviod feeling like shit.

Just smoke some damn wwwweeeed, fool. :bongin:

5. Because I do not want him to see me as some "loser". My family visits eachother normally which will probably carry on into my generation, when I visit him he will think of me as a crack addict. Because he thinks if I smoke weed I will start doing other drugs like coke which I have no intention of.

6. Hardly drinks? Last I heard, daily consumption was one of the signs of alcoholism. Not saying it IS, but there are studies claiming that. So, 2 beers a day after work, or a joint. What's the difference?

7. I just recently(about 6 months ago) came out to my entire family. Opened my WHOLE life up. And they all now understand and have no problem with it. My sister resisted, but she's coming around quickly. DON'T F*CK up your relationship with Dad. If nothing else, shoot for a live & let live agreement.

8. Look at it from his perspective, he's had years of believing a certain way, that alone is very difficult to break. The older people get the more set in their ways, ideas, beliefs, etc they get it seems. You're only 18, that's still really young, why should he take your word for it? I would just give it time, and if you want legitimate evidence for him to go over there's a list in the medical marijuana forum on here by the amazing granny stormcrow it is stickied and has about a billion informative links, peer reviewed studies, etc. But again, when people get set in their ways and ideas and honestly I've heard plenty of people tell me they don't even believe in science and such statements; sometimes you aren't changing their mind.

9. I thought getting smashed about every day would be.

But the difference is, he HATES how it is illegal. Not meaning he wants it to be legal, but he dislikes it because I am doing it. He told me if it was legal and I was over the age then fine, I have my own intentions of doing it.

So I am not sure if hes mad about it being illegal or it being that he believes it's TERRIBLE for you.

10. Just show him "The Union". Its on netflix :)

11. Have him watch the Union with you, the link is in my sig below

12. I'm the father of an 11 year old boy and I can guarantee that if your father loves you as much as I love my son, you will not win this argument. I don't care WHAT the situation is, if it puts my son in danger, I will do everything in my power to prevent him from doing it.

SO, may I suggest having him read "The Pot Book" by a Dr. Julie Holland, MD. I just finished it a while ago(released in 2010, got it @ my local library) and it is an awesome read that in very clear terms describes why our current cannabis policy is flawed and failing. I think I wrote a review thread and I'll try to find it and post.

In other words, acknowledge his concerns and educate him with the latest SCIENTIFIC evidence, and then because he loves you and wants only the best for you, he will join the movement for legalization and possibly take a different view towards your medicinal needs. That is if he reads and researches the evidence in that book and is willing to accept modern science.

But don't get angry with him, even when he gets upset. He's not upset with you, but rather the fact that your habit/need puts you in legal danger. No father wants to visit his child in prison.

13. #13 Cudii, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
    I know he's not upset with me.

Hes more "disappointed", which I find worse. I hate it when someone in my family sees me as a complete loser just because I have done something "wrong". I don't find weed wrong but they do. It's just the worst feeling when someones disappointed with you.

14. Hey man my parents hated it when I told them I smoke at thirteen n still have learned to live with my choice but this took years if training your 18 just get a college loan and apartment and start banking

15. My family used to think of me as the black sheep, but as time has passed, I have become the "enlightened" one of the clan. When clear scientific evidence is backed by clear anecdotal evidence(your actions and experience, coupled with both social and moral responsibility), they don't stand opposed too long in my experience. SOME people take longer than others, but if you have your ducks in a row and are able to do so while medicating, evidence talks loudly.

I completely understand your feelings about how the family views you. I've been that "loser" for years. It wasn't until I became active and presented irrefutable evidence that it is at VERY least better than alcohol and cigs and better yet current science that shows MANY benefits as well as explaining the dual nature of life(explained in the thread I'm looking for but basically that EVERYTHING in life has to be viewed with a risk/benefit analysis) that my family started to see me as less of a loser and more as someone that has done his research. Knowledge is key.

Thank You Grannystormcrow!