Talk to me about mulch

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mendo clouds, Jun 4, 2016.

1. was thinking about mulching this year outdoor...heard it'll be a big improvement...it's hot already

What is the best substance to use? Straw? What about the weed whacking leftovers?

Any info appreciated...

2. Straw or leaves work best. Straw is cheap too. Sometimes I get a lot of grass from it but it's something you could weed whack down or add more straw too if it bothers ya.

You could probably use bark as well. Most everything else is more expensive to use. I really like it as I think it helps a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I wouldnt use rocks, you want to use organic matter that will decompose.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well it all depends on why your mulching:)

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Im assuming we are talking about growing plants. When would you want to mulch with rocks?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not unless you burry your plants in it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hmm weird i didnt know the earth moved the rocks out of the way and put straw down when plants grewXD i better start studying more cuz thats amazing. Mulch with rocks say if your growing with bottles to preserve water. Dont need anything breaking down then.

8. I'm using a bunch of dead leaves, and I also have cover crop planted

Cover crop is fetch, beans, clover and rye. It grows pretty tall very fast, my plan is to just cut it down and use that as my mulch,

I have it planted on the outside of my raised bed soo I will cut down one side at a time and rotate that way so it can recover

• Like Like x 3
  9. Thanks! So I assume that lawn clippings will work just fine...gonna give it a try. Any other tips? How often to replenish? Just top dress on top of mulch or lift it up somehow? Should I chuck some worms in the pots or will they find their way in somehow? Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  10. I would be concerned about soil compaction but i guess yeah if you relied on bottled nutes it might be ok.
    I still wouldnt recommend it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Not sure about lawn clippings, i remember there was some talk about fresh lawn clippings being a problem but i dont remember if it was regarding mulch or if it was something else. U could ask in the lounge or in the no till thread.
    As for top dressing you can top dress on top of the mulch and then water it in.

Yes to worms, throw a handfull in each pot, you dont even have to worry about how many cause they will regulate thier population according to the soil volume and amount of food available.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Me too. It would definatly weigh a bit. But i guess if you use little pea gravel it wouldnt be as bad. I wouldnt either i was just making a pointXD

13. clippings are dry...been mowin and whackin for couple months. Heard it'll seed the pots but I can just yank what pops up through the mulch out I figr...probably throw some ponderosa needles in too I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have a question.

I always see people have worms in their mulch.. I have never seen a worm in my mulch

Maybe I'm not looking at the right time or the right place ...

I hope they are OK in there

• Like Like x 1
  15. I just put up my notill and i only see worms if i dig bit. I think after a while when the mulch starts breaking down youll start seeing all the wonderful guys comming out

16. wonderful little guys eat the mulch so that is why we add something that decomposes and not rocks.

you're looking for something that retains moisture and decomposes. rocks are a mulch i guess but all they do is help retain moisture and that is a good benefit but why stop at only one benefit when you can retain moisture AND feed worms and microbes. straw contains all the good things that you'd find in a SST. leaves provide minerals. grass clippings must be dried because if you put them down while green, they will heat up really hot and cause the root zone to get too hot. serious nitrogen source. once dry and brown, they're considered a brown or carbon and i imagine would be alright outdoors. would be really good if you mixed some straw in as well to help keep the mulch fluffier. compaction and leaves stacked on top of each other thick cause water to puddle and poor drainage as well as lower oxygen being able to get in the soil.

• Like Like x 1
  17. you may be over watering or under watering. worms will escape your containers if those conditions happen. they need a more even moisture level. always gotta use EWC or put them in yourself to get them in there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. and no pine needles. some people use them but i would stay away until you have a couple seasons under your belt. they can cause problems for some people.

• Like Like x 2